Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Brady Hudson

When installing showers WITH seats….

Do you:

Install the seat, then run the walls down to the seat(and up from the bottom side).

OR

Install the walls, then butt the seat to the walls?

Thanks,
    Brady

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Installing seats is a recipe for disaster.

Saying that, we have done it in the past. We would typically install the walls and then the seat making to use a truck load of silicone to seal it.

I was always skeptical but we never said no because that is what the customer wanted. Now we tell them we will not install a seat along with the solid surface or stone walls.

Norm Walters

It depends on what are using on the walls.  There are also liquid waterproofing materials you can use as a backup.

Andy:

What is the big deal with a seat? No one sits in them anyway; it’s a prop for female leg shaving.

I’ve put in several and never had a worry or callback.

Joe

Tom M

On the are occasions where we install a seat, we use the triangle tile thingy and flip it over. Easy enough for the install and it has a minor bit of flex for expansion/contraction.

yes…I havent even done many shower surrounds..but when i did..it was just a simple thing…and  call them leg props…not seat like Joe said…the word seat mean sit down…I then get into funny descriptions as to there is not enough room for some to sit down…if ya wanna sit down ..buy a bathtub willya

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Posted By Tom M on 12 Sep 2011 08:08 AM

On the are occasions where we install a seat, we use the triangle tile thingy and flip it over. Easy enough for the install and it has a minor bit of flex for expansion/contraction.

Tom, what are these triangle tile thingies which you are referring.

Sounds fair enough Joe. The question now is, “how do you install them.”

Posted By Andy Graves on 12 Sep 2011 10:25 AM

Sounds fair enough Joe. The question now is, “how do you install them.”

Andy:

Mark lines to indicate proper pitch and level of triangle. Liberally apply silicone to solid surface cleats that are held to the lines with hot melt until the silicone sets up. Silicone the triangle/seat on top of the pitched blocking. Forget about it.

Joe

Tom M

Andy,
    These are the seat supports I am talking about. Strong as heck and costing a lot less than what I would have to charge.

The idea with tiling would be to fill the pan with mortar and tile over, but with solid surface we just flip it and add the deck and fascia as necessary.

BY the way, is the interface for text management different now? I don’t get a font color and the URL insert doohickey looks different?

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

I deleted font color but the link thingy should be the same and work well. Does it not work properly? Do you need to color selector?

Norm Walters

Posted By Tom M on 13 Sep 2011 07:13 AM
    Andy,
    These are the seat supports I am talking about. Strong as heck and costing a lot less than what I would have to charge.

The idea with tiling would be to fill the pan with mortar and tile over, but with solid surface we just flip it and add the deck and fascia as necessary.

BY the way, is the interface for text management different now? I don’t get a font color and the URL insert doohickey looks different?

I have used the Better Bench quite a few times, you still need to waterproof it with a liquid waterproofing membrane, not only to prevent leakage, but to prevent mold growth.

Tom M

Norm comes through with the pic!

Andy, I used to use the font color thingy because Firefox didn’t always auto color the link. I just manually blued and underlined it.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Gotcha on the color thingy. I will try to put it back, but need to find the code for color insert.

Do you just silicone the metal seat bracket to the shower walls and then put the top on or do you use brass inserts along with the silicone?

Norm Walters

Andy, that seat need to be screwed into wood framing, or into masonry with tapcons. It comes with screws and achors that expand behind the wall material, but I would never trust them.

Even though they are meant for shaving legs one at a time something much more devious may occur there.

Posted By Norm Walters on 14 Sep 2011 04:25 PM

Andy, that seat need to be screwed into wood framing, or into masonry with tapcons. It comes with screws and achors that expand behind the wall material, but I would never trust them.

Even though they are meant for shaving legs one at a time something much more devious may occur there.

Norm:

Why would a shower attract any more devious behavior than a kitchen countertop, and we use silicone for those?

Joe

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.