Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Tom M

Johnny,
    Beautiful. Simply beautiful.

The best I did was a shower shelf glued to the back of the wall sheets. I kept it as simple as possible, with coved corners, but removable shelves for easy cleaning.

The only thing I don’t have a pic of is the grooved soap shelf that was fit to the bottom. I was surprised that the shelves stayed in really well.

Tom:

That is really neat.  My biggest complaint with the available shampoo caddies, is the hard corners that just don’t get cleaned.  You got that whipped right there, no silcone either.

I might try and just make a 1″ long groove at both sides and at the back rather than a full legth groove.  The shelf could be made 1/4″ shy of fitting except for the three resting points.  Maybe use a 1/2″ corbox bit set to 1/4″ deep for the grooves.  Easy to sand while fabricating and easy to clean under real conditions.

I like it.

Johnny C

Tom M

If we are looking to have decreasing widths to the line on a slope, we use the corebox bit. If we are looking for greater consistency, we might use a mill end bit.

We are seeing the back wall spacing you described on a large scale with vanity tops that stay off the walls. Don’t really like the design, and a good coved splash takes care of the cleaning, but that’s what the arch’s are specking.

Shower pan and concrete backer board going in:

Notice the clean out on the 4″ stand pipe.  that was part of the reason for the corner seat.  the clean out encroached into the shower area.  I really didn’t want to dig up that much more concrete so I added a new cleanout 90 deg left just above the old clean out.  (After this photo was taken).

I moved the drain near the center of the floor.  Leveled new concrete and installed two new shower valves and heads.

The pan was heavy and I used a make shift block and tackle system for lowering it into place.  the pan needed to be placed before all the concrete backer board was installed.

Backer board installed and mudded.

Getting close now, Fabbers.

Johnny C

Kevin Cole

Hey Johnny C.

I love to see the progress you are making. Any idea of what something like this might cost a consumer to have done? I don’t need an exact figure, just an idea…

Kevin

Posted By Kevin Cole on 06 Sep 2011 01:02 PM
    Hey Johnny C.

I love to see the progress you are making. Any idea of what something like this might cost a consumer to have done? I don’t need an exact figure, just an idea…

Kevin

Kevin:

I designed, built and installed a coved corner shower and base for a lawyer over a decade ago and charged the general contractor $7,000.00. He charged his clients $10,000.00 and they were very pleased. That shower was the proverbial walk in the park compared to what The Master is showing us here.

One thing I learned: never, ever base your price on what you think it is worth. That is always the customer’s decision.

Joe

Jon Olson

John your are the best. Great job. I just tweeted this around the world
    Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Did you install the pan by yourself? Even with the pully it looks extremely awkward.

Gordon Shell

Amazing install!!!! Absolute master craftsman.

Posted By Andy Graves on 07 Sep 2011 09:58 AM
    Did you install the pan by yourself? Even with the pully it looks extremely awkward.

I did install the pan myself.  I figured it weighs about 130 lbs.  I put it in place on edge first.  Then once I took the weight off with the block and tackle it was pretty easy to maneuver into position and lower it down.

Johnny C

Posted By Jon Olson on 07 Sep 2011 09:39 AM

John your are the best. Great job. I just tweeted this around the world

Thanks, Jon.  It will be intersting to see what kind of traction that will get.

Johnny C

peeerr

I would administer Laticrete Hydroban to the accurate bank, again pt furring strips again MR lath, adhesive advocate lath would be bigger with added hydroban on the adhesive advocate lath afterwards in activated fiberglass band anchored in thinset. a lot of would anticipate this is apparently abstract but that’s how I do it, although there are no basements in Florida so I would leave out the hydroban on the block bank.

Ralph Lauren Polo Shirts tory burch sale meizitang slimming capsule oakley sunglasses cheap

Lenny E

Lenny hands Andy and Norm the spam sledge hammer!

Andy:

Thanks for your help with the Picasa slideshow feature.

This is the grand finale.

<embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="https://picasaweb.google.com/s/c/bin/slideshow.swf&#8221; width=”600″ height=”400″ flashvars=”host=picasaweb.google.com&hl=en_US&feat=flashalbum&RGB=0x000000&feed=https%3A%2F%2Fpicasaweb.google.com%2Fdata%2Ffeed%2Fapi%2Fuser%2F118205778504418704963%2Falbumid%2F5650143115574122081%3Falt%3Drss%26kind%3Dphoto%26hl%3Den_US” pluginspage=”http://www.macromedia.com/…r”&gt;gt;

I hope that was informative and enjoyable for all.  Thanks for all your comments.
    My wife and I sure enjoy using our new shower.  We chose a 3/8″ framless door and panel as the enclosure.  when I get all the painting and trim done in the bath I will post that also.

The most challenging part of the installation was the incorporating of the integral seat of the pan with the seamless design of the walls.  Without the seat it would have been much simpler.

Johnny C

Andy:

Thanks for your help with the Picasa slideshow thingy.

This is the grand finale folks.
    <embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="https://picasaweb.google.com/s/c/bin/slideshow.swf&#8221; width=”600″ height=”400″ flashvars=”host=picasaweb.google.com&hl=en_US&feat=flashalbum&RGB=0x000000&feed=https%3A%2F%2Fpicasaweb.google.com%2Fdata%2Ffeed%2Fapi%2Fuser%2F118205778504418704963%2Falbumid%2F5650143115574122081%3Falt%3Drss%26kind%3Dphoto%26hl%3Den_US” pluginspage=”http://www.macromedia.com/…r”&gt;gt;

I hope that all who view this found it informative and enjoyable.  Thanks for all your comments.  My wife and I sure enjoy using our new seamless Solid Surface shower.  I doubt you could achieve this in stone.

The most challenging part was incorporating the seat of the pan with the seamless design of the walls.  Without the integral seat it would have been much simpler.

click on the little text icon at the lower left of the slidshow window and a caption will appear with each photo.

Johnny C

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.