Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author

Hello everyone looking for some help here. I am currently evaluating the tools that we use and seeing what we can afford to update to or not. I notice alot of guys using air tools and was wondering if this was more cost effective than running the electric? Also was wondering in the air tools if those sanders can be hooked up to vac systems and then what is the best size compressor and tank storage to use. I am currently a 2 man shop , but trying to get expanded in the next year or two to handle one or two more employees if that helps with size of things.

Thanks in advance.

Dani Homrich

Reuben,

Air sanders do come with Central Vacuum System. As for compressor size you need 18 CFM per sander used on a continuous basis. A good 5 hp will run 1 sander, to run 3 sanders you will need a 15 hp rated at 50 CFM. I have a Quincy low rpm that has been running for 35 years with only 1 repair, and that was a broken valve spring.

Dani

Shane Barker

We have a Kaeser screw compressor, 10hp with 42 cfm @ 110 psi, this unit is awesome, we also have a refrigerated air dryer on it. Clean dry air. We never have more than two air sanders going at a time along with the CNC and other miscellaneous items and we have air to spare.

Shane

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Air sanders are excellent for sanding edges, coves and sinks. On seams, use the Festool RO 150 and on decks use the GEM. This will speed up the process.

Air is less cost effective in terms of power consumption, but it saves strain on the body and hands to use air sanders. You don’t have to hold the motor, all the power supply is at the compressor.

For now I say skip the huge air compressor because you can do the entire counter without it and it will only take you a bit more time.

Shane Barker

I agree with Andy

Shane

Thanks for the info. that was one of my other considerations was a gem sander, but I still struggle with using it in the feild or do you guys just take the Festool sander on the job site. I also would like to know what company supplies you with micron paper in the festool hole pattern or can you match up and blend in stard grit finish for feild sems with the micron sand from the shop? Just trying to find the best equipement to improve upon what I already do.

Reuben,

They make a shroud for the Gem Sander for dust collection at the job site, but the Festool is the best out in the field. If you sand with Micron in the shop then you must use the same (micron) in the field, even though there are equivalents in grits, they really are not. I would say contact FEDSAWDAVE for festool pattern micron but he is allergic to festool.

From your original question, Andy is right, the air tools are going to be more of an investment due to the compressor. If you plan on really getting larger then consider it. The Kaeser is the best and the price shows it.

John

Ahhh John, not allergic to Festool…AChooo… I would surely take the Festool out in the field before a GEM for the simple fact of bulkiness.I’d rather have the GEM in the shop because it is quicker. I let Reuben know that although we have mega amounts of Micron in stock…5″,6″,8″, 11 1/4″ in Hookit, Hookit II & PSA in 5 Hole, 6 Hole, 8 Hole, 16 Hole & No Hole…we have never sold Micron with the Festool pattern. We sell a bunch of RHYNO abrasive with the Festool pattern but the majority of it goes to woodworkers. With 3M, it’s a minimum order of 500 pieces per grit so if a customer only need a couple 50ct bags, we’re stuck with the rest. If it moves it’s here. If it does’nt, it’s not.

Dani Homrich

Reuben,

If you need micron in Festool hole pattern I stock the 268L in 80µ, 60µ, 30µ, & 15µ, and if you need 100µ I will get it.

Dani

Dani,

I am deffinitley interested could you email your prices etc at hoffstops@cozadtel.net.

I’ve been reading up on past post and I can see micron seems to be the only way to step up the finishing game. What is your thought on the Gem sanders for a small shop.

william w

Good grief! I had no idea that festool used a different pattern holes on the sandpaper. Our first festool is being shipped and here we are without sandpaper that will fit it. I gotta find your catalog, Dani, or your website.

Good grief! I had no idea that festool used a different pattern holes on the sandpaper. Our first festool is being shipped and here we are without sandpaper that will fit it. I gotta find your catalog, Dani, or your website.

Norm Walters

My favorite tool is the Beaver Seam Leveler, just makes life easier. All you need is a pancake compressor for it.

Shane Barker

Norm,

My installers say they prefer the festool on grind mode over the seam levelers. Fast, easy and less mess.

Shane

B Dillon

Al, put an envelope in the mail to you today containing RHYNO abrasive samples in the Festool pattern along with a RHYNO catalog.

Dave

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.