Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    John Mauck

Our shop uses 3M micron paper for sanding. Our pattern has been to go 80, 60, 30 and Grey pad (on dark colors we also use 15). We had a rep from Butler Johnson (distributes Corian) at our shop and he said that we should only need to use 60 and the Maroon Scotch Brite pad for a Matte finnish. Does anybody use just the two steps and if so how do your tops look when you are finnished.

Mike

jman, I can only speak of what I see our customer base using, and there are variables from shop to shop but, I see a lot of 100 Mic(150g)…to 80 Mic(180g)…to 60 Mic(220g) then Scotchbrite.

Some skip the 100 Mic and go to 80 then 60 and Scotchbrite. Others go 100 Mic then 60 Mic and Scotchbrite.

This is for Matte.

KCWOOD

JMan, It really depends on the color of the material. The darker the color (I use SIA) you may have you go one more finer grit. I found it is different if you use the Gem Sander or the Festool. For matte with the gem I go 180-280 then maroon, satin 320-grey. But for darker I’ll go to 320-400 and grey to get satin. It all depends, Avonites polyester is different, large particulate is different. I think it is something you just learn as you go along. Some of Staron’s Aspen Series would look great with only 180grit ( I don’t but you know what I mean)??

KC

KCWOOD

Dave, I have carried back brand after brand from the shows. In my years there is no telling the number of reps that have wanted to save me money. I was introduced to SIA 2 years ago, and started using it on my cabinetry first. (Wood) Never had I used a quality of paper that produced awesome results and retained sanding life so well. . From my wide belts to the Festool dics, I actually saved money by spending more. I will no doubt hitch a ride with Norm and come and visit your booth for the bottled beverages and return with your samples. I know you only carry superior quality goods, so I will be a hard sale, because cost means nothing, I am after quality, period. My only question to you is, they going to be 12 or 16oz bottles at your booth?

adam

My only response is…400+ customers…1 SIA user…You.

KCWOOD

Yep, That’s what sets me apart from all the rest

Karl Crooks

Dave what brands and grits of sand paper to you sell the most of? To us solid surface guys that is.

James McGrew

Yes, you are original Kelsey…

Karl, We’re all over the place on abrasives as obviously, it’s America and people have choices. I can only speak of what people beat our doors down for. In order of volume per manufacture.

1)3M Micron…2) RHYNO(INDASA ABRASIVE)…3) MIRKA

Our sanding schedule is

small particulate tops, 60 micron then red scotchbrite for matte, 80 micron first for edges and seams

Large particulate colors, same except use 30 micron and grey scotchbrite.

High gloss for polyesters, same to 30 micron, then Dani got us hooked on 15 micron after the 30 and it almost eliminates the buffing on some colors.

The darker particulates will be brighter when you use the 30 micron.

Jeff Leun

15 Micron in what size & backing Al?

Wanna rock? How bout 9 MICRON.

Dani Homrich

jmanbravo1

I do very few tops in matt, but the ones I do, I start with 60µ wet on the deck and use 80µ then 60µ on the edges, then finish with maroon scotch-brite wet on everything. For a satin finish I go to 30µ wet using one of my CRE pads and finish with maroon scotch-brite wet and a powered cleanser like comet or ajax. For a polished finish I go to 15µ wet using one of my CRE sanding pads, and then I use my PPK polishing system to polish the deck to a mirror finish. I don’t use 9µ any more because my polishing system is much faster than sanding with 9µ. Note: I never use 80µ on the deck, all it does is add more sanding time and more cost to finish the deck as for the cost factor I am talking about wages paid to get the same finish. Your factory finish is already 60µ or P220, so why go backwards to add more work for yourself.

Dani Homrich

Jody Brose

Whos factory finish is 60u (220g) ?? The biggest seller we have is 60u followed by 80u (180g) & 100u (150g). So theory being, 220g IS NOT a factory finish from most factories.

Adam Catt

Here’s the bottom line Dani, we deal with customers doing from 1 top per week to 50 tops per week. They rock-n-roll the tops out the door. The 1 or 2 tops per week customer have time to micro-manage their sanding process. The big boys just pump it out the door.

Snowman

Uh, 3m pads, Dave, festool pad, what ever they sent with the darned thing.

You got 9 micron? Send me one so I can try it out, that might eliminate polishing entirely. I’ve got your catalog by my easy chair at home, in the stack of stuff I’ve been meaning to read, so I’ll place an order soon for some granite fabricating items.

Thanks for the cool cooler by the way!

KCWOOD

Dave, Let me clarify my post. I got to SIA because of wood sanding. There is no doubt in my mind, it will out sand and present a superior finish on wood. When I see some sanding on some high end custom jobs I just shake my head and wonder if they have ever had an eye checkup. The SIA Blue, is a bit higher, and in comparison to your products, probably are overpriced when comparing apples to apples. One brand you carry, the grit seems to be a little different than what I am accustomed to using, but with any brand, it is all about learning what it takes to acheive the desired result. So with that said, It’s not that I am really looking at switching brands, but when I read about coolers and flying monkeys… it makes one start scratching their heads!

Happy Holidays Dave, Thanks for all the laughs!! KC

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.