Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    nssthan

Just to prove that I’m not afraid of criticism — here is how I’ve done it and at the end you get to see why.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeGdeUg2fxQ

nssthan

Brian Stone

The technique is good but dry cutting without a mask isn’t going to lead to a long life.

nssthan

I don’t wear my seatbelt either  I don’t know if it was a marble and granite urban legend, but when I was a kid we talked about an old timer that had died and when they did the autopsy they found 26 pounds of silica in his lungs.  Because of my motocross riding, horseback riding, steerwrestling life I spend a lot of time in the ER.  Silica shows up on XRays.  More than 20 years and I’m still clean.

That said.  You are right.  It is better to wear a mask

Topshop

Its also better to wear a mask because if OSHA or your insurance company stops by – you will be hosed.

If you put that rodding blade in a small circular saw it will be easier to handle, cut straighter easier if you use the fence, and you will be sure not to grind the slot too deep.

Flowing poly is o.k. in a pinch but epoxy (a-b) is better to encapsulate your rod in – it will be more water resistant than poly which will avoid the whole ussue resulting in this thread. To save time you could use an a-b epoxy like touchstone experss flowing which will be machineable in about an hour or use the regular touchstone a-b just before you go home at night and it will be ready first thing in the morning.

Many rod failures I have seen result from exposing the rod while drilling the faucet holes with a core bit. It only takes a leaky faucet to rust the rod and pop goes the back rail at your sink.

Karl Crooks

We usaly see them in the front

Karl Crooks

Posted By Karl Crooks on 09 Dec 2010 09:09 PM

We usaly see them in the front

Posted By nssthan on 08 Dec 2010 11:43 PM
    Just to prove that I’m not afraid of criticism — here is how I’ve done it and at the end you get to see why.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeGdeUg2fxQ

nssthan

nssthan:

You seem like a nice guy. I hope we can have a beer together some time. You said you’re not afraid of criticism, so here goes:

Using a grinder without a guard is insane. But why take my word for it? Click here but not if you’d like to keep your lunch down. I highly recommend “Grinder Injury To Knuckles”:

http://www.safetytrainer.com/videos/gory/gory.htm

The only thing crazier than using an unguarded grinder is tossing any type of abrasive blade down carelessly enough that it makes a “ping” as you did in the video. That blade should be destroyed before it’s thrown away before a loosend diamond or tooth flies off the unguarded grinder into the face of an operator.

While I appreciated the safety glasses, again you wore no hearing protection. I know a tile setter in Toledo who spent the last years of his life croaking because he took a piece to the throat. A face sheild would be in order in addition to the glasses.

Topshop addressed my concerns with the lack of consistency of dado depth using a grinder freehand and the use of poly as opposed to epoxy. I’m guessing your all thread wasn’t stainless steel?

While your brick demonstration was interesting, it was irrelevant. So you’ve increased the strength of granite in tension. Granite properly installed on properly installed cabinets or substrate needs little strength in tension. You only need to make it from your shop to the jobsite without failure and clamping on some of the newer aluminum rails is much faster than rodding and has none of the downside of introducing dissimilar materials to each other. Rodding is old school, so old it’s obsolete school.

http://www.granitecitytool.com/node/21583

If you or your crew ever showed up on one of my wife’s jobs with an unguarded grinder, little personal protective equipment and making all that dust without collection, she’d boot you back to the hills.

Joe

nssthan

For installs the installers use BOTH omni rails and rod.  If you are going to be that cautious with your eyes and ears why not with your wallet?  I mentioned that I don’t wear a seatbelt.  I just got my second ticket.  I’d rather try and talk you into taking your guard off that deal with my wife and the ticket.  You are absolutely right about the gear.

Rodding however is absolutely relevant to needing to install a long piece and having to pull off the rail before sliding the piece back into place so that the rails are out of the way of the cabinet.
    Why on earth would you ever want to argue the importance of dado depth and lets put something else to bed.  This is from 3M site talking about polyester adhesives:
    The adhesive dries quickly, is waterproof and forms a rigid bond between surfaces”

Some points are better looked up.
    I’ve had silicon carbide stones come apart, but never have I had a turbo style blade come apart.  
    Wags

That video was a spoof…right ?

nssthan

I was an economics major and we had a saying, “A picture is worth a thousand words and a graph is worth a thousand pictures.”  My market has grown in the last couple of years from less than a half a dozen shops to just under 30.  I would imagine that your markets are similar.  I want to get some graphs out there.  If all you have are words, there are a lot that will get tired and lost before they get the idea.

Change from an angle grinder to a ….. instead of using all thread use….  instead of polyester try…  Now there is a concept that someone can apply.  Oh yea, don’t forget the earplugs
    By the way Joe, I ride competitive cutting horses and spelling cowboy with a K???
    Lenny E

Nssthan,
    You will have to forgive Kowboy (with a “K”, yeah I know, haha). While I am all for safety, some people can go overboard with it. Expect mucho ‘Sammy Safety” posts from Kowboy, even when people are joking around. Some people can be  a real “buzzkill”. Don’t argue with it, you can’t change him.

Kowboy’s wife is some sort of HR safety guru so I can imagine she makes him wear a safety harness in the bathtub and while on the commode so he doesn’t slip and fall or bang his head on the toilet seat and fall in drown.  Or we can imagine she lets him squeak by without wearing safety glasses in the shower because she makes him use Johnson & Johnsons ‘no more tears” baby shampoo.

Kowboy doesnt ride the range out west, he is more of an urbanized Cowboy up Michigan way….the land of Cheese, hence the “K”.

All joking and kidding aside, I can’t wait to see to your video, which I am thinking may be a parody of sorts. I am currently in China and they have you tube blocked up tight here! I can go through the side door to get it, but its an arduous process and I wouldn’t even go through that for WIKI leaks, but it is on my “to view list” when I get back to Texas.

You ride competitive cutting horses? Is that what they call barrel riding down here? Kudos on that!

Where are you located if I may ask? Oh BTW, I’m Lenny E and welcome to fabnet. I really enjoy your wry sense of humor!

nssthan

Lenny,

I live in eastern Washington and it is really, really nice to see that actual people are in the forum. Life may be too short, and I may be too poor, but I’m an uphill kind of guy.

Good to meet you!

nssthan

nssthan

Lenny,

here is a link that shows the country up here and a horse that I just started getting ready for next years cutting season.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6ChpgsJ5JM

Lenny E

Posted By nssthan on 10 Dec 2010 12:13 PM
    Lenny,

here is a link that shows the country up here and a horse that I just started getting ready for next years cutting season.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6ChpgsJ5JM

Very glad to meet ya Mr NssThan,

I will have to bookmark your post and view that later upon my return to the greatest country in the world, the good ole USA.

I am in commieland now working and they have blocked up YouTube, Twitter etc. tight after the riots in Mongolia and Xinjiang. Hey I was out in Xinjiang right up against the Afghan border a while back (2007) and there are lots of great horse riders out there!

Yeah, the money thing! I make enough to get by! Not rich by any means, but generally happy which is what counts in my book! I wouldn’t trade my life for anyone’s! I kind of think you feel the same. If ya ever swing down Texas way, let me know. If I’m home fabnetters are always welcome!

Tom M

“…and it is really, really nice to see that actual people are in the forum.”

Caution, nssthan, while Lenny is “good people”, certainly “smart people” and often “funny people”, we are not quite sure Lenny-sama is “actual people” implying made of human DNA.

We think Lenny may have actually invented himself in some sick, twisted pan-dimensional laboratory experiment, and then promptly patented himself (I believe it was patent number tree for him – defying all logic of time reference, or as Kowboy may claim, Cogito, ergo Timex [Rolex in this case]).

On the plus side, he seems to sustain himself with Firesign Theater references, Zappa tunes and the annual “Alice’s Restaurant” fix at Thanksgiving, so he is quite the cheap date.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.