Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Tom M

I will be going to a seminar on Richlite tomorrow morning. It seems to be a thick phenolic, but is marketed as a green product. Since I’m trying to bone up on what is green, I’m making the three and a half hour drive into the heart of the beast, NY City.

Does anyone have any questions they want asked? This will cover fabrication. material make up, some sales I would guess, etc.

Tom

Yeah tom, send me some samples or anything pertaining to this material…Is it third party certified or are they saying it’s GREEN?…I know it still can be green, just how much of it’s content..I’d appreciate itI was at Green Trends 2007 this weekend in Orlando combined with the Southeast builders conference and of course Green is being specked more, just not too much in the interior side of it alot of builders were designing there homes Green certified and then it seemed they weren’t too interested into the rest of the interior..I did repond to the Shetka stone people and paid 55 bux for their samples…they have some interesting choices of color and design…I was wondering have you worked with it before,its not solid surface and it’s not stone it’s paper and glossy resin as they put it..Paperstone is another product making it’s way into the green market..I’ll keep ya posted on that or vice versa..Thanx for the questionaire option of going somewhere I won’t be…have a Great trip…I was raised on exit 13 on the jersey turnpike…Hold your nose it smells like eggs and bad expired integra glue…lol,Gene

Tom M

That’s funny, right there, Gene.

I’ll keep a running tab that I’ll print out at the end of the night. If I can get a rep alone, I’ll write the responses and post them here. If you want to give me some contact info, I’ll pass it along for sample purposes/calls. I can’t see as how they would mind that.

Tom M

This place is on Freeman street, near Commerce St. A guy from Brooklyn was in the shop yesterday and said something about the best steak place in the world right near there. Any idea who he meant?

Being from NY, he also then proceeded to tell me a better way to getthere than the company’s directions. “Exit 34? Why go exit 34?. Nah, nah, go exit 35, it’ll bring you right along Manhattan Avenue and get you there quicker’n sh*t” Exit 34? F’ that.”

He didn’t say “F’ “

chiltoncabs

Mather does New York City…nice ring to it.

There are hundreds of great steakhouses,especially lower west side near the meat district..but if you can make it a priority to visit KATZ deli on the corner of Ludlow St. and East Houston..For 9 bux you’ll get the best brisket of beef you ever had!!! Maybe you can even sit in the table where they filmed the “O” scene in the movie “when Harry met Sally”..It’s an experience you must not miss..the presidents of the past have all been there..the deli has been there since 1888, ypu 1888 not 1988,it’s still got all the classic styles of that era..and you can contribute a few bux and send a Salami to our troops overseas, they do all the shipping right there. it’s a big deli seats about 400 people..I love the city and sometimes hate the city but now i’m a Floridian…but who knew that there are more people from Ny and nj in florida then there are in NY and NJ..Also if you are looKing for a classic steakhouse,try the chophouse on W 46th..it’s an old gentlemans club ,and they still have the memorabilia of all the famous people who smoke their pipes their, Ben Franklins is there also, whenever they were in town they get there personalized smoking pipe and socialize then have great steak…oh yeah before I forget if you ask for directions on how to get to East Houston..pronounce it like HOW-STIN..not hughston..ok… the city slickers get uptight about that..just get to Katz !i would take a brisket sandwich over a Steak any day. Have fun and check out the Furniture galleries in SOHO, you see alot of solid surface used for weird things..OOPs i’m sorry its called ART..my contact is refresh@knology.net.or Gene McDonald727 527-0206 biz or my address is on my under construction website http://www.refreshinteriorsinc.com…thanx again Tom

Wags

It is very close to standard thick phenolic laminate. It is green because they use paper that is made from wood coming from Certified Forests. This is one of those products, that by the letter of the law today, is considered “green” . But its green in only one area, the paper it uses, not the rest of the process. Be interesting how they spin the green thing. Please report back! Thanks

Tom M

I stayed at a friend’s place on Mercer – which is south of houston about a hundred years ago. It was fun jamming on a balcony at 1:30 a.m. in SOHO.

This steak house is supposedly right around the corner.

Gordon Doull

FEDSAWDAVE wrote

Mather does New York City…nice ring to it.

NEW YORK CITY?!!

That really chaps my hide……

Tom M

Gordon – it’s not like I’m buying salsa made there.

Well, after an early morning, a looooong drive, and the use of a bathroom facility too bad for prison, we had the seminar. The distributor seemed to know his product well, and one of the other fabricators was from Maryland and knew quite a bit about green also.

Wags just about nailed it, but to their credit, they acknowledged that, in most colors, there was not enough recycled versus virgin paper to consider it recycled. It was certified paper from managed growth forests.

Interestingly, one of the colors was called Hemp, made from – hemp. This is a very fast renewable material, as only the leaves are used. I never asked if it was a five-fingered leaf, as that would make me look like a drug-addled pothead.

Another new color is used from 50% recycled cardboard, and looks exactly like a phenolic backer sheet. I mean exact. It however made a nice looking top when we saw an example in a showroom close by.

The big problems I can see are the cost – close to granite, if I understand pricing right, and it scratches rather easily. Remember, this phenolic laminate does not have melamine on the surface. You seal it with a proprietary goo that is pretty much Good Stuff (Bally Block sealer) thinnned to 50%.

I have a better impression than I did before about this. It bears looking into, but I wouldn’t bet the farm on it being a smash hit. (no hemp/hit jokes, please)

Gene, they have distribution for the whole east coast, and have warehouse in Virginia. I left your name and contact info with them. Let me know if in two weeks you don’t hear from them. I also gave the other fabricator the web addy for FabNet. Maybe you’ll have a new recruit soon, Andy, this guy seems to know some good stuff himself.

Drove home through some weather severe enough to cause a tornado in my state. Glad I wasn’t driving.

Also, New York really sucks to get around by car. I never saw so many sky taxis (helicopters) in my life.

Tom M

Jon – one more thing – they also have a warehouse in the Boston area that is not stocked, but will be next year. I hope they have fab seminars there, as it is a better trip for me. You can call me and I’ll give you the info.

Doc Holliday

Tom, you get off on Exit 13 of the Joisey toinpike, Genes exit. You look for the guy in the trench coat (Genes friend). You tell him youse guy fabricate hemp solid surface. He’ll advise youse to got up to Exit 14 to see his friend Vinney

Tom M

‘aay, whasamattafayou? You pickin’ on Gene’s goombah? I’m a good mind to let ‘im know what those sunshine boys down there in Flalaland are sayin’ about the god-fearing Jersey boys. That whole exit mumbo is just jumbo, anyways. Not everything in Jersey is judged by da exit – capisce?

fuggettaboutit.

I wonder if they have to import the hemp product from Canada?

Tom, quick question. Does a Philly Blount come wit every hemp top? Yes: “wit.”

Now ya talkin green ovadare…

I sware offisah, I was just braiden roap wit dat hemp!

Youse gouys are killing me! I’ve laughed at posts before but FEE-on-Say thinx suntin goin I’m roaring with laughter, I gotta admit the idea of hemp tops are bring out the ontrpanoor in me , Think about that rich rap guys who can’t stop buying necklaces with charms of their name on them and they weigh more than them…inlay some blunt in the top with the pot leaf emblem…this sounds like a bizness for my cousin Vinny….Got green?…literallyl ol…oh yeah Paul mccartney might want one of these tops????..i’d be afraid they would forget to pay me, or they might smoke the top on me before they pay!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.