Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Chris

Hey all,

I created this thread so I can better answer any questions you may have about our estimating software QuickQuote and consolidate those answers in one place. You can also check our website’s FAQ for answers to the most frequently asked questions: http://www.crystallyneonline.com/FAQ.html

Tom M

Good call, Chris.

First question for this round:

Does the purchase include a reasonable charge for multi-licensing, or is each computer going to cost me big time?

We network at the office, so if there is a multi user function, that would work as well, but I also bring work home and price it there.

i don’t want to break the bank with four to five different programs.

Tom

Tom M

Second question:

I am hesitant a bit about all the data work we will need to give you to enter our set up in the software. Are you guys working on a stand-alone CAD/measure program that we can use and import the answers in our existing spreadsheets? I have to say that your draw function that tabulates results is near-exactly what I was hoping to find out here in fabworld.

Tom M

Third:

(My demo is on my home computer and I’m at work) Is there a way to place notes on the CAD drawing on the fly? Info about out of square corners, or notches/cuts around a chase, for instance?

Chris

First Question:

We sell the software in two packages as of this posting. Both are currently five licenses wherein you can put the software on five separate machines. The first package is a single-user version, so each of those computers would work indepedently of one another. The second is the multi-user version, where you can network them together. The multi-user version actually lets you specify where it will look for the stored quotes, so you could put it on say, four work computers and one at home, and have the one at home working independently of the others which all use the same database. You can also export/import quotes, so you could do them at home and E-mail them to work afterwards as well. The multi-user package does cost more, but it is not an unreasonable difference. We only charge more because it requires extra support on our part, and we do not charge separately for support, which we could tack on as $200-$500 a year if we were a morally bankrupt corporation bent on world domination. (One day I hope…)

You can, of course, simulate some multi-user functionality with a single-user setup by exporting/importing quotes, but that’s obviously a limited approach and not typically practical for more than a couple machines, so you’d probably want to go with a multi-user package.

Second Question:

Indeed, the data import is a daunting thing to almost every customer we have, but unfortunately, we know of nobody who has come up with a good way to get around it just yet. Or at least not a method that would work for our kind of data. We are working on are ways to get your data into the program with greater ease, preferably without our input at all, but we’re not currently invested in some kind of stand-alone version of the drawing component that can take data from other programs.

Still, our data import is usually pretty easy by comparison to some of the other software out there. If you’re already using an Excel spreadsheet to do pricing, it’s extremely easy because the templates we use are in Excel. All you have to do is copy and paste for the most part.

Third Question:

Yup. Under the shapes there’s a CAD toolbar that allows you to add text directly to the drawing and do all kinds of other nifty CAD stuff if you are so inclined. Click the drop down arrow and it’ll pop open.

We also have about 5 separate places in the program to enter any other kinds of notes, everything from a standing company memo to directions to the site.

Tom M

Chris,

Thank you for your responses. I’m liking this stuff more and more (but I think I’ve already said that).

…we’re not currently invested in some kind of stand-alone version of the drawing component that can take data from other programs.

Actually, I’m just looking for the drawing component as a stand-alone. It seems to be pretty easy to enter dimensions into the pre-defined shapes, and get the stats for sq. ft., lin edge ft., etc. I can take it from there. No need to import anything.

This way, I can digest this part before I tread into the fearsome data entry nightmare that is guaranteed to stress my already befuddled brain.

Thanks.

Chris

Always glad to hear people like the program Tom. Don’t forget to tell your friends.

As far as the drawing component is concerned, it’s very tightly integrated into the heart of the program, so there’s no easy way to split it free as just a drawing/tabulating system unfortunately. The easiest way to get a feel for it before actually having to go through the process of putting your own data in to work behind it is to use the demo to play with it, since the demo already has data. And in the not so distant future more videos will be cropping up on the website that show other facets of the program.

Tom M

Chris,

I have a very small, but fairly effective recording studio in Ct.

I’d be happy to help you with the audio of the vids you post.

[edit]

Heck, I could probably do the voice-over if you needed someone other than the sweet sounding girl you have.

I have a face for radio, but most people say I have the voice for it as well. Trained for it, in fact.

It’d be fun.

Chris

Oh really? That’s pretty cool. I might take you up on that one.

That sweet sounding girl lives in Oregon unfortunately. I never could get her to pronounce “Corian” properly though. It’s not her fault, her first language was French. 🙂

I know one thing, I won’t be doing the voice work. Nobody needs to be subjected to my nasally whine.

Chris Yaughn

Crys ,

we’re working on a sheet nesting add-on that will do the slab counts and remnant charges for them.

Does that translate into, “this program will layout a kitchen on the slabs a tell me how many slabs are required to fabricate”? If so, I am like Tom and kinda liking this idea. Any chance I can trade in a slightly use KCDW software package on the QQ’s ?

Also, can you email me the basic pricing info? I found some online but it may be dated. sanitychaser at aol.com

Chris

Chris

Yup, that’ll be the idea. The component we’re integrating to make it happen is very powerful. It will not only lay out the slab, but it will actually optimize the material useage based on what you’ve got, your tool size, etc. It will also calculate in several different ways what your remnant pieces are. And it even has some ability to select the best pieces from your existing inventory to use.

Unfortunately, we don’t take trade-ins. Nice try though 🙂

I’ll be happy to get that info to you. I have a few requests that came in from the site late tonight, so I’ll send it out to all of you tomorrow morning.

Tom M

I never could get her to pronounce “Corian” properly though. It’s not her fault, her first language was French. 🙂

Believe it or not, I’m actually trained to narrate in Cocney.

“Eah, guvnah, you just click rite eah, an’ awll your pra-ahs will be answered. That’s a love…

Tom M

CrystallyneRep wrote

Yup, that’ll be the idea. The component we’re integrating to make it happen is very powerful. It will not only lay out the slab, but it will actually optimize the material useage based on what you’ve got, your tool size, etc. It will also calculate in several different ways what your remnant pieces are. And it even has some ability to select the best pieces from your existing inventory to use.

I’ll be happy to get that info to you. I have a few requests that came in from the site late tonight, so I’ll send it out to all of you tomorrow morning.

When that comes out, I assume it will be an add-on so that those who don’t need it won’t have to pay for it?

Cool thought: is there a way to add an inventory component so that it can actually help cull the herd a bit?

In fact, if this finally gives us lazy bastards the push to actually log our inventory, it would help other places, like that web site designed for material exchange, or whatever it does. It would force us to have a standardized method, which could then be used as a model for import onto the web. That’s really the only thing that made a collective site unworkable.

[edit]

And it even has some ability to select the best pieces from your existing inventory to use.

Okay, that settles question 2A, but is the system something that might be useful elsewhere?

Chris

Tom M wrote

CrystallyneRep wrote

When that comes out, I assume it will be an add-on so that those who don’t need it won’t have to pay for it?

Cool thought: is there a way to add an inventory component so that it can actually help cull the herd a bit?

In fact, if this finally gives us lazy bastards the push to actually log our inventory, it would help other places, like that web site designed for material exchange, or whatever it does. It would force us to have a standardized method, which could then be used as a model for import onto the web. That’s really the only thing that made a collective site unworkable.

[edit]

And it even has some ability to select the best pieces from your existing inventory to use.

Okay, that settles question 2A, but is the system something that might be useful elsewhere?

Yessir, it would most likely be an add-on.

I’m not sure what other applications such a thing will have until we finish it, but it will certainly be interesting to see how it fits into the scheme of things.

Fred Atwood

Does your program have cabinet parts capability also?

Here is what I really want to find, but have not.

Draw kitchen (or bath, what ever room) cabinet layout.

Get

A. Quote on cabinets, tops and install depending on materials and finishes selected

B. Cutlist for cabinets

C Cabinet material layout sheets for maximizeing yield or quickest cut out time (selectable)

D Top material layout sheets for maximizeing yield or quickest cut out time (selectable) including substraight

E Fabrication time estimate for cabinets and for tops

F. Install time estimate for cabinets and tops

G. A new pony for Christmas.. oh wait, wrong list

Fred

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.