Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Posted By Matt Rickard on 15 Mar 2012 08:27 PM

Thanks for the compliments Kelly!!! It is really everybody around me that deserves the credit, I just come up with the crazy ideas and they make it happen

Somebody tell me how to post a video and what format it needs to be in please. I tried earlier today and it wouldn’t upload 

Just upload your video to YouTube and then insert the link. If I see a link to a YouTube video, I will embed it for you.

You can also embed the video yourself by copying the embed code and paste it into the HTML portion of the text box.

Hope that helps,

Andy

Lenny E

Posted By Tom M on 16 Mar 2012 07:22 AM

Thanks, Matt.
    That findstone site is kind of a bible to me. I bookmarked that sucka years ago. Unfortunately, I’m an idiot when it comes to the science data stuff. The absorption rate may mean absorption through materials, or it could mean absorption around and through pores, pits, etc.

I suppose in some ways it doesn’t really matter, as penetration is penetration (I just left a huge opening there for a joke, Lenny). We will still continue to seal the tops, not because I know better, but because every decent stone installer I respect does it.

I do think that pre-resined tops are sort of cheating. You can’t study the slab to help determine if it had issues that other slabs don’t. At least I can’t.

I’m skipping the Joke Tom. Thanks for the opening though. 

I used to know a guy named Dr. Ted, back in my filtration Chemist days of yore. He was a world expert on water..a simple molecule, only 3 atoms composed of 2 elements..H2O. He taught me alot about simple water. He had written books on the subject. The company I worked for  ran this aging person around the world (on a grueling schedule) to speak about water and filtration. He died in a hotel room on a work assignment one evening, In a pre-south park moment (You killed Kenny!), I screamed at a meeting ..”You idiots  killed Dr. Ted!”
    Water is the universal solvent. It has an acid base equilibrium going on there, and also tends to dissolve small (miniscule) amounts of even water insoluble compounds.
     Got cracks or fissures, water will get up in there. Even with no fissures it creeps in depending upon the density and chemistry of the stone. The various ASTM D-570 water absorption tests are a good window. to the effects of Water (if you run all of them, a, b, c, etc. etc., yada, yada)
    I have to agree with your astute observation, treating the stone yourself, allows you to adjust for the imperfections inherent in a particular slab of a natural product.

Mark Meriaux

Posted By Lenny E on 28 May 2012 10:54 AM

I have to agree with your astute observation, treating the stone yourself, allows you to adjust for the imperfections inherent in a particular slab of a natural product.

You call them imperfections, I call them natural differences.

Minerals are single elements. Stone (granite) is made up of multiple minerals with various bonds between those elements. No two stones are the same. Each one should be tested and treated (sealed) accordingly.
Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.