Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Tom M

Actually 2 questions:

From what I see, it seems almost all slabs are resin coated when they are imported. Is this correct?

Also, what kind of resin is usually applied? Is it poly, acrylic or something else?

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

To add a question, it the coating susceptible to heat?

Aren’t all slabs imported? The slabs we get from a couple local slabs yards are not coated so I would say no, but could be wrong.

tim farr

most slabs are resin coated to fill all the micro holes in the stone
    i think it is an acrylic product
    and yes it is susceptable to heat but you have to keep in mind we are talking micro holes
    and no not all stone is imported just most of it {i would guess less than 1o% for slabs from the us}

Chris Yaughn

Most times in my experience the coating is more  prone to problems with UV damage than heat.  Long term sun exposure.   Regarding Heat, I have had to break seams in the past in resined stones.   I heated both sides with a mapp gas torch to the point that the integra turned to goo.

Pulled apart, cleaned up, and reseamed.     No discoloration in the resin.

Jeff Handley

Most imported slabs are resin treated and part of the polishing line process nowadays. In most instances, the resin type is an epoxy.

The resin is cured at a high temperature, and by the time it goes through the polishing process, there is very little resin on the surface of the stone.

Resin becomes more of a binder, rather than a coating for stone. It is vacuumed into the stone and then polished off.

From MIA’s Stone Industry Glossary of Terms:
    Resined Slab
    Slabs that have been treated with a cosmetic improvement process prior to polishing, in which a resinous adhesive, usually epoxy, is applied to the face of the slab, filling various voids in the stone surface. The resin is cured at elevated temperature, after which it is polished, allowing the resin to remain in the voids. This produces a more cosmetically attractive surface without the interruptions of the natural defects.

http://www.marble-institute.com/consumers/glossary.pdf

Tom M

Jeff,

So when the slab is polished, the resin at the highest points is removed? Does the resin wear off over time?

And why, when we apply sealant, does it absorb into the stone? Why is sealing still necessary (at least for teh first year)?

Tom M

Chris,
    I saw the other thread where you showed yourself torching a resined slab at the seam. I can see where epoxy will be more resistant to heat, but I am surprised it left no telltale signs at all.

Jeff Handley

Tom,
    Yes, only the micro fissures hold the resin. A report I just read indicates that around .01% of resin, by weight, remains part of the slab. As far as wearing off over time, I wouldn’t think so. Bear in mind, I get this information from book learnin’ and have no hands on experience.

Penetrating sealers are added post fabrication so you would have freshly “opened” stone areas, like on the newly finished edges. Some stones have very low absorption rates and will not truly accept sealers. In these instances you are wiping the sealer on and off in the same treatment.

Tenax has an excellent technical department, below is a link to their frequently asked questions and Q & A blog.
    http://tenaxusa.wordpress.com/q-a/

Chris Yaughn

Gotta keep the heat moving….

Matt Rickard

Tom,

The origin of the stone has alot to do with whether or the slabs are resined. The majority of the stones coming from Brazil have the resin treatment where as not so much coming from India. A good tell tale sign is if you see drip marks on the ends of the slabs.
    As far as the sealer goes, think about it this way when the resin is applied it gravitates to the small holes and fissures in the stone which makes up a very small percentage of the surface. Once the excess resin is polished off you still have a high percentage of untreated stone on the surface. This is why you still need to apply a good penetrating sealer. If your customer cleans the top with mild cleaners the sealers will be there for many years to come if you used a quality sealer and applied it correctly. An absorption test is always good to do before you apply more sealer, The last thing you want to do is add more sealer on top of a sealer that is still doing its job. Meaning if the original sealer is still working it wont let the new sealer soak in and you will have a greasy oily mess left on the tops once the carriers have evaporated and the solids are still on the surface 
    Tom M

You guys are awesome!
    Jeff – I bookmarked the site. Thank you.

Matt, from what you are writing, I may have to adjust my thinking. I had always thought that a stone top stains because the staining source (liquid) works its way around the stone (the actual mineral) through the pores and fissures. It seem like you are saying the stone mineral can absorb the staining source. The bandstone, or feldspar, or other will actually absorb and stain.

Does that sound correct?

My reason for thinking that way is that, for instance, Absolute Black does not seem to have the pores (due to the better compression of the minerals, since they are pretty much the same) therefore does not allow a pathway for the staining source. What I am reading here does not necessarily agree with that.

Matt Rickard

Tom 

I don’t really know all the technical data that some of the other guys do but I think your idea about absorption is partially correct. Every stone (and lets remember that although someone calls a stone granite is not actually true granite) has an absorption rate in which the liquids will penetrate into the stone. This factor will effect not only staining but the how a stone absorbs the resin. I also think that the resin process does help with hamper the staining. I know from the fabrication side that most of the stones coming out of India are sponge-like versus other parts of the world.
    Here is a link to show you the different absorption rate on granite   http://www.findstone.com/daniel2.htm
    Hope this helps some
    KCWOOD

Tom, keep in mind, Matts company can do more with a slab of Granite than a monkey can a 50ft grapevine.
    I wish he would post pictures of all the techniques they do to Granite, they can turn a piece of plain granite, into a textured, holy crap what is that look.
    Plus, they do quartz seams almost as good as solid surface….

We have so much talent on the Fabnet, like the newbee that posted from the UK… awesome work…

Matt Rickard

Thanks for the compliments Kelly!!! It is really everybody around me that deserves the credit, I just come up with the crazy ideas and they make it happen

Somebody tell me how to post a video and what format it needs to be in please. I tried earlier today and it wouldn’t upload 
    Tom M

Thanks, Matt.
    That findstone site is kind of a bible to me. I bookmarked that sucka years ago. Unfortunately, I’m an idiot when it comes to the science data stuff. The absorption rate may mean absorption through materials, or it could mean absorption around and through pores, pits, etc.

I suppose in some ways it doesn’t really matter, as penetration is penetration (I just left a huge opening there for a joke, Lenny). We will still continue to seal the tops, not because I know better, but because every decent stone installer I respect does it.

I do think that pre-resined tops are sort of cheating. You can’t study the slab to help determine if it had issues that other slabs don’t. At least I can’t.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.