Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Brian Stone

I may be mistaken. I tried to look up the exact specs and all I could find on the Zodiaq website is the master specifications for Zodiaq applications. That form says the following:

A. Install components plumb and level, in accordance with approved shop drawings and product installation details.

1. Tops:

a. Flat and true to within 1/8″ (3 mm) of a flat surface over a 10′ length.

This is my favorite. I can’t imagine getting away with an 1/8″ wide seam.

B. Form field joints using manufacturer’s recommended adhesive, with joint widths no greater than 1/8″ (3 mm) in finished work.

Lenny E

Geez Brian, nothing against DuPonT but thats all double speak!

That sounds to me like some DuPont marketing Dweeb taking SS specs and applying them to E STONE! Now some of you know  me well, Im an old monster that takes no bullcrap from anyone!

For example for SS, I dont care the length warp too much. but the side to side warp freaks fabbers out.

Now Estone, Like granite isnt as forgiving as SS. That flatness tolerance needs to be immaculate!

1/8 inch…Geez! These guys (manufacturers) are  freaking idiots!

Oh just wait a bit on me, I can do that better!

Bill Wolle

Hey guys,

First of all, the 1/8″ spec quoted is clearly an installation tolerance determining the flatness of the installation site and should not be considered by the info presented as a sheet flatness tolerance.

Second, Lenny you are correct, much of it was copy and past from the ss spec.

For the manufacture specs you are looking for Lenny, you need to find the specs for “as delivered” material. I used to have them from warranty and warehouse days with Parksite but have long ago gotten rid of them. Very few fabricator or installers will have those specs. Distributors will but will probably not part with them.

Please make sure to debate the correct specs before any gorillas are attacked.

The 1/8″ wide seam is a maximum designed to protect fabricators. None of you would allow a seam that wide, but what is acceptable? “Harry says 1/32″ but Bobby says 1/16″ an Timmy says 1/64” and Bill says use a Gorilla clamp and make the seam go away. What should the manufacturer require? (a warning, this debate about correct width once started, may never end as new technology will make tighter and tighter seams possible) All are good if the custmer accepts them and all meet the manufacturers minimum spec as written, so why not leave it as is?

Brian Stone

Posted By Lenny E on 07 Sep 2010 12:07 PM

For example for SS, I dont care the length warp too much. but the side to side warp freaks fabbers out.

It’s not as big of a deal on solid surface for a couple reasons. The first is that the SS is easier to bend. The second is that warpage the length of a SS sheet isn’t as big of a deal because you don’t usually have seams that run the length of the slab.

Any kind of warpage on ES sucks because you could have a seam running in any direction. That’s what happens when you get to work with material that’s wider than 30″.

It’s just a pain in the ass to bend the stuff too. It can be done but there’s a good chance that the adhesive holding the seam together is going to pop.

Bill Wolle

Brian, try the Integra adhesive made for e-stone. I have pulled some nasty curl out with a Gorilla clamp and that stuff holds like iron.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Posted By Brian Stone on 07 Sep 2010 11:35 AM

I may be mistaken. I tried to look up the exact specs and all I could find on the Zodiaq website is the master specifications for Zodiaq applications. That form says the following:

A. Install components plumb and level, in accordance with approved shop drawings and product installation details.

1. Tops:

a. Flat and true to within 1/8″ (3 mm) of a flat surface over a 10′ length.

This is my favorite. I can’t imagine getting away with an 1/8″ wide seam.

B. Form field joints using manufacturer’s recommended adhesive, with joint widths no greater than 1/8″ (3 mm) in finished work.

Perfect, crappy joints are now acceptable.  I could not and wouldn’t want to get away with those standards.

Lenny E

Andy I think those are Navy underwater vessel Standards, or as we used call them…………….Substandard

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.