Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

Hey guys,
       What is the industry standard for flatness of a seam on quartz / granite?  Is there one?  I’m talking about an offset in thickness between the two pieces.  Any help would be appreciated.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

I would think that each manufacturer would have a set standard for their own product. This would be applicable to slab thickness and whether it was acceptable or not.

Does Radianz have a documented tolerance?

KCWOOD

My supplier Unique Granite, out of Owensboro, Ky gets the seams almost invisible (Gorilla+Integra Adhesive)  and  being able to feel different thicknesses of material on the deck would be unacceptable.  Even if there was a slight thickness variation, they dry fit the seam in the shop and make sure the bottom of the seam on the front edge is machined flat.

We probably have more variation in ss than in the quartz…

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

After giving this some thought, are you suggesting the top and bottom of the material is not even because of the varying thickness of the quartz?

No Andy, not so much a thickness thing, but rather slight warpage or a seam that “moved” during seam glue up.  Is anything acceptable in the field?  I guess I am looking for some sort of measurable quantity to show what is consided acceptable in the industry.  Of Course I know what is acceptable to one customer is not acceptable to another.  I think MIA lists an acceptable measurement for slab warpage but couldn’t find anything on seam tolerance on the surface.

Bill Wolle

None of the manufacturers I worked with were willing to put a seam flatness figure in writing. With the Gorilla Clamp, this is not an issue and the seams will be fantastic. As a consumer, knowing what I do, I would not settle for anything less than flat.

As an installer, what kind of work do you want to be known for?

Lenny E

Hi All,

The last Breton factory I worked in had an internal thickness tolerance specification of  +/- 1.5 mm.

What that means in a worst case scenario is a 3mm difference ( 0.118 inches which is almost 0.12 inches) or almost 1/8 of an inch (which is 0.125 inches).  That would require Gorilla clamps and a good caring fabricator (like you fabnet guru’s) as Bill so astutely pointed out. Most of the time you will encounter differences less than the worst case scenario.

Now I can get that thickness more uniform, even to within micron tolerances suitable for struts on the space shuttle! Question is are you willing to pay for that? I dont think so.

Q: What would be an acceptable thickness tolerance for you as a fabricator? And what extra cost would you be willing to pay for that improvement? What do you  fabrication guru’s think? As a manufacturing consultant I’d be interested to hear that input!

Norm Walters

Lenny, I don’t think anyone is willing to pay more for the improvement. What I see happening is you providing certain manufacturer’s with the information to obtain a flatter product, and them outselling other manu’s because of it. The increased volume would cover the added cost by the manu. What say you?

Lenny E

Norm.

I expected that answer as I typed. Of course you want a better product and not have to pay for it. I want money to rain from the sky, and people in hell want ice water but they dont get it.

All joking and kidding aside, I will put that on my to do list. I will get you more affordable  E stone, just as good quality, and better thickness control just for you!  Because I like you, and I can capture some market share! What thickness tolerance do you need. Geez guy, just answer 1 simple question! How hard is that?

BTW I was looking at old photos yesterday, so mama saw you and your lovely wife Susan. I said..wo de peng you!  (that means my friends). I also said hen hao ren (very good people)!

Mama cant speak any english, except for hello and sank you (thank you) so our conversations are mostly me speaking Chinese augmented by handsigns! But you and Susan are famous in China now!

KCWOOD

Lenny.. I bet Norm has many handsigns….  yikes!

Lenny E

Posted By Kelsey Crisp on 03 Sep 2010 04:04 PM
    Lenny.. I bet Norm has many handsigns….  yikes!

Kelsey, That made me smile.  I just imagined a one fingered hand sign from Norm,  that I hope means….I have a good point!

All joking aside, Norm knows I am just kidding around with him in a good natured way.

Chris Yaughn

Thickness tolerances wouldn’t move the meter much with quartz fabricators because they are used to dealing with granite which can be all over the board.  Most guys gauge profiled edges regardless , especially on closed profiles, so tighter tolerances would just mean the stubbing wheel wasn’t taking anything off when it ran.

We got some ceaserstone once that was bad.  The gorilla grips earned thier keep that day. We were outsourcing fab at the time and they did NOT gauge the seamed/profiled edges.  We had to blend the bottom edge on sight.  fun fun fun..

Lenny E

Thanks, thats the type of info and feedback I was seeking. And its the type of thing you can only get from astute fabrication warriors like the fine fellows on this site.

Thanx Chris, youre the best!

Brian Stone

The tolerance that Zodiaq specs for acceptable slab warping is 1/8″ over 5′.

Lenny E

Hi Brian,

Thanx for the relpy. What is the spec for side to side warp if I may be so bold to ask!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.