Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    KCWOOD

Shane, not exactly. Catapults and Balista’s were used in the roman times and was made using twisted cords as their power. They could cast stones of 50 to 60 lbs. In the 12th century the french used a heavy weight and gravity to project a stone weighing up to 300lbs or more up to 300 yds. This would destroy any fortress it encountered.

Shane Barker

KC

Sounds like you know quite a bit about this stuff. Was it a hobby?

Shane

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Trebruchet wrote

Nice spin by Avonite, but our solid surface aluminum tryhydrate comes from “cut away mountains”.

Trebruchet

Just out of curiousity, who cares that the aluminum tryhydrate was “cut away from mountains”?

Everything you use everyday gets taken from the earth:

1. Coal to produce energy
    2. Gas in your car
    3. Wood to build your house
    4. Oil to produce plastic
    5. Diamonds for your wife
    6. Granite for your countertops
    7. Copper to run the electronics in your computer that you used to type your post.

My point is not to argue with your statements, but it is not a matter of what we take from the earth, it matters how we treat the earth to get it. To me that is a big difference.

If Avonite can save the landfills from some of their waste and make a product that can be used in homes across the country, then I am with them.

Respectfully,

Andy

KCWOOD

Shane, no hobby, just an engineering project in college

Matt Kraft

KC,

I believe it is nearing the time of the year of the annual Punkin Chuckin costests. Discovery did a feature on these guys that build catapults, trebouchets, and air cannons to shoot or sling a pumpkin up a mile or two (air cannons as long as a semi). Check it out, its cool if you are into those things.

Found one link:

http://www.punkinchunkin.com/

Matt Kraft

Maybe not a mile or two, but winner was 4300 feet last year.

KCWOOD

4300 ft? Geez.. I would love to pull up a chair, cooler and watch that!!!

Cannonball

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Does Paperstone fall under the “Solid Surface” or is this something different? Not that is matters, I was just curious.

Tom M

I did notice your unique screen name. I have not heard that word used in a very long time. I believe it was commonly refereed to as “leverage artillery” – strange machines referred to variously as trebuchets, traction trebuchets, perriers

I got it from Ages of Empires, myself. Heh.

Aren’t trebuchets made out of wood? How many trees were murdered for this warlike sport!

SAVE THE WHALES

SAVE THE ALUMIUM TRIHYDRATE

(sorry, at least it was a short post……)

Shane Barker

Andy,

I have heard them refer to PaperStone as a solid surface, but I am not sure. I know it does have porosities in it, and it is a paper product so I am concerned how it will hold up to water. But I think they even use it for exterior cladding, so who knows.

Shane

Tom M

I wonder if it is similar to Richlyte, which seems to ber more of a thick phenolic?

Shane Barker

Tom,

I think it is the same stuff.

Shane

Hey all,

Paperstone is a product very similar to Richlite. Richlite is made with 10% post-consumer recycled paper products and phenolic resin, while Paperstone is made with 50% recycled or 100% recycled paper products. It is also made with a water based resin instead of a phenolic resin.

We are located in the pacific northwest and the product is fairly popular around here due to its “green” properties. It is probably one of the most dense countertop products out there. Paperstone is a paper product, but does not require a sealer. However, to achieve a look the customer can maintain for years, we recommend a coat of mineral oil, or Daly’s kitchen wood treatment.

We just installed a kitchen the other day with a nice undermount stainless sink with routed drainboard in 1″ thick chocolate color. Looked awesome.

As far as cutting the Paperstone, I wouldn’t think that you would have any problem cutting the 1/4″ with a 1/4″ bit. We use a 3/8″ in multiple steps when cutting the thick stuff, but it seems to cut pretty well.

The bits we use are Onsrud bits, but they are custom ordered by Tom Pinske. He calls them rougher bits, and they are actually modified high velocity/compression spiral upcut bits. They are some mean looking bits. We also use the 1/4″ for all of our solid surface cutting.

Shane Barker

Hello Dennis,

Thanks for your response. I was using an Onsrud ¼” 0 flute cutter, it was brand new and it only lasted about 6 min into the program cutting @ 350 ipm, 18000 rpm. Maybe I need a different type of cutter? How is the edge with that cutter? I was getting a rough edge with this one.

Shane

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.