Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Shane Barker

Has anyone used or cut PaperStone. I have done a little R&D and have about thirty sheets to cut up into about 900 cutting boards. So far it seems to cut up okay but I am not sure how well a ¼” cutter will hold up in the long run.

Shane

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Give us a link. I would like to check it out.

Shane Barker

Here is the link, check it out.

http://www.nssurfaces.com

Shane

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

I like it. Tell me the particulars. Can you seam it, sand it, polish it? What’s up with it?

Todd w

I’ve never built anything with paperstone, but I checked it out a while back.

It seems to cut well but it smells like phenolic, it may be hard on bits and blades but I don’t know.

You can glue it together but not with the seamless appearance of solid
    surface. It comes in varying thicknesses, up to 1 1/4″ I
    think, so there’s no need for applied edge.

You can rout and sand it but I don’t think it would take a polish, it
    seems to have an onionskin effect if you oversand the top, this may
    also appear on profiles.

Colors are limited, it’s made from compressed wood fibers and resin so
    it may need to be sealed. I spoke with one homeowner who
    absolutely loves it.

If you have a market for green building products it may sell, some of it is made from 100% post-consumer waste.

I suspect the finished product may be a little less refined than what
    we’re used to. It seems very strong, but I only had a small
    sample to play with so I can’t really say how stable the slabs are.

Todd

FLGranite

Sounds like a product that needs to be cut with the same blades used on Hardy Board. Usually a diamond tipped…limited tooth blade.

Dave

Shane Barker

I agree with everything Todd said. I have not done much with it so far but it does cut well with my standard CNC cutters. Of course I don’t know how it will affect the tool life because it is very hard. You glue it with a two part epoxy and you can see the seams. If you sand the surface you smooth out the texture so you would need to be careful. The only thing I am going to do at this time is cutout a bunch of cutting boards with handles and juice grooves so I have stocked up with the tooling and I will see how it goes. I have bid some vanities for our local college but I am not sure if I got the bid yet or if they will choose that product or not. If they use a green product they get extra funding for the project. The way the green materials are becoming more and more popular I think it may be a product worth looking into.

Shane

Edward Jull

Shane, what type of tooling have you stocked up on??

Dave

Shane Barker

Dave,

I have ordered a couple extra drainboard bits to do the juice grooves and ¼” spiral cutters for the cutout.

Shane

Shane Barker

I should also mention these are the same carbide cutters I would use for Solid Surface I figured I would start there since on my trials they worked out pretty well. If they don’t last too long may need to try something else.

Shane

mehdiomidi

Shane, Brand and diameters if you will. Trying to see if I can save you money.

Dave

Shane Barker

Dave,

I usually buy from a company on line and when I bring up the tool I need they show it in several brands with the price so I choose the best deal from that. I think the drainboard bit is an Amana and it is a ½” diameter. I think the ¼” spiral is an Onsurd. I have the info at my office.

Shane

Marble.com

Shane, if you can let me know the part #’s of the Amana & Onsrud bits…I’ll look up the sizes, quote on those exact bits and options. You can also fax me the invoice…MINUS your cost at 727-526-0128. I don’t play the “save you a dollar” game and I do not need to know what you paid.. If I can beat it substantially, and I always do, then we’re in business.

Dave 1-866-FED-SAW1

Shane Barker

Dave,

I will definitely get you the #s, and next time I need tooling I will let you know. I may not be able to get it to you next week, so don’t think that I blew you off. We are leaving for Rhode Island on Wednesday next week so I have a weeks work to do in two days. Not looking forward to Monday and Tuesday but the rest of the week should make up for it.

Vacation 1

Thanks

Shane

Joel DeVries

That’s cool Shane. Please understand, I’ve seen a lot of wacky prices online. They make me scream out: “That aint no deal”! I know that we can kick their *** six ways to Sunday if given the chance. Talk to you soon.

Dave

BTW, that, is smiley overload! LOL

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.