Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Tom M

Gene,
    You don’t seem to be worried about edge separation with the exposed end “grain” in the sink area.
    I’m no expert on Richlite/Paperstone, but I know that laminate can separate there, given the right circumstances.

If Matt D. reads this thread, I’d like his opinion on the possibility of resin starvation in these products.

Matt, are you out there (or in here)?

Well……… Given the right circumstances resin impregnated paper can seperate from enough moisture. Usually, it requires the material to sit in water for it to happen, but it can. We sell Thick Stock or Compact laminate for Labs and other applications like toilet partitions. Some of these bathrooms ar literally hosed down to clean them, like rest stops and truck stops. These products hold up very well, except where water is able to sit at the core regardless of resin content.

It will be interesting how flat the material stays. It is important for paper products to get equal amounts of moisture (humidity) on both sides of the panel to keep it flat. If you are to glues a thick laminate panel directly to a wall, it may warp.

well guys I dont know what The right circumstances are…for me they would sound like the wrong circumstances….get some samples and throw them in a bucket of water and see what happens after awhile….water or heat below350 degrees doesnt worry me…the stuff is great outside

but heres the thing Paperstone has three sectors of their material…uncertified which is 50% recycled and some other stuff they could find as thickness filler

100% certtified, and Virgin fiber on the leather…I been playing alot with the 100% stuff 1 1/4 and 3/4, the vanity in the pic was made from a piece of 3/4 that sat in a slab yard in tampa for a couple months outside….as long as it dont have scratches too deep its indestructable, them layers on the edge arent Phone books pages that were sanded, they actually have been submerged in the cashew oil resin too…Richlite and Shetkastone havent tested too like that yet. I wouldnt look at this like thick mica though, more like Hard rock maple sealed in resin would rest a little better wit me

Eco-top supposta be stronger, cant wait….Tom I beat this stuff with a hammer and nothin happens..but who knows ya probaly JinX me Tom and Now its gonna split all up and then you will hafta do the “I Told ya so dance”

Tom M

One of the great unsung benefits about laminate is it’s hardness. You can hit it pretty hard with a flat hammer and won’t mar it, as long as you stay flat.

Also, Gene, I can’t say for sure about Paperstone/Richlite, but I know very well that laminate will burn at 325 degrees F.

Resin starvation would almost certainly be a problem, though, and if the popularity of these materials picks up, so that production has to increase considerably, you can bet some flawed material will get through the cracks. Heck, even aging equipment can result in starved sheets. Frankly, I’m amazed at how little bad laminate gets to us fabbers.

Matt, are you guys looking at this kind of thing with your product?

No

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.