Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Andy Graves
    Keymaster

How the heck do you get scratches out of PaperStone?

I did my first couple jobs and when the material arrived, it had a few scratches in it. I had to use the entire piece, so I just laid it out to fit best. Got to sanding it and noticed the pre-existing scratch was rather deep. So I sanded per the manual and the scratch wouldn’t come out. Sanded through the top layer of paper a bit and now the top looks like poop.

Is this type of thing just part of the material, or do you have to inspect the sheet before taking delivery?

Andy…i guess eventually they will hafta send us either plastic covered sheets like some or our ss and yes we should inspect the sheet just like we do…

I have had to refill them scratches you might be talking about…just like ss if its too deep or a chip chunk missing…i aint sanding it out . Im more then likely gonna fill it…

try making some scrap dust of the color with your festool on rotex and no vac on, then use good ole regular wood glue and make your putty, fill up the scratch with stain or the stain pens they sell so you do see the outline of the scratch or chunk too bad…then pile on the putty higher…do not level off with a putty knife, when it dries you’ll hafta re fill it again cause it shrinks so leave it heavy…sand it to level

now you wipe your finish after your are done with your sanding process.,,this has worked for me on the colors except black…black paperstone(obsidian) is pretty much solid color..ya notice all the others have kind like a wavy faux pattern and are easier to repair those pits , look real close you’ll see where the newspaper that didnt get wet in MFG is dry and crumbles away causing a pit

now that you kept sanding thru the paperits gonna be difficult to get outta.the finished process.

its kinda like you crashed the plane and now you asking us how to fly it..heheheh

you should have seen my first seam…you now might hafta bust thru in all areas of the top creating a new pattern..or of you have a drum sander or a buddy that has one you can level it off at once.. then return and start over

hope I either helped or exhausted your other attempts..let me know what color it is so i can mess around and practice deep scratch removal on this coast…

this we we have two of us working on this problem so that we can help other fabnetters should they run into this problemsomeday

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

The color is chocolate and the scratches were already there. I was thinking about filling with dust from the sanding and fill it with crazy glue. Does this sound doable?

I am going to try it on a sample piece.

My other idea was to use bondo and add paperstone dust. Bondo won’t shrink like a water based filler.

There has to be a good way to fix it, cause scratches are inevitable.

Andy you can try Crazy glue and bondo, but first try the wood glue, I know alot of people laugh at us for using Paper as a countertop…but Paper comes from wood…alot of people forget that…thats why the wood glue seemed to work better for me..the crazy glue shines too much and bondo havnt even thought of yet…but if you are gonna be selling it you might as well start learning how to repair it…

here i mixed it with Bamboo

Paul Bingham

Nice looking work Gene!

Paul

Outrageous

Johnny C

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

The reason I am skeptical about the wood glue is that it is water soluble. Have you had any problems with that?

David Gerard

In my experience filling with wood glue and dust , it usually shrinks and leaves a hollow, then smears do to heat from any kind of sanding, But if you do it Andy, titebond make water proof glue for ext. stuff. We use lots of it for ext. trim and door const.

Its only water soluble when wet, thats what ya want anyway..cleanup with water

but i think you should try all the tests of scratch repair and use what works for you…I had my success with wood glue, that doesnt rule out all other possibilities of course, the con about wood glue is the time for it to dry, i heatgun it alittle bit to speed up the process but that kinda makes it like an egg yoke…so plan ahead and aloow some dry time if you go the wood glue route

if you were on a LEED site you might hafta hide the bondo, just wear alot of cologne that day to the jobsite they might know the difference…Just say Im wearing Essence of Bondo by Ralph Lauren

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

I fixed the scratches with dust and crazy glue. Taking a scrap piece of material, I sanded a pile of dust on a 12″ disc sander. I then filled the scratch and dripped the crazy glue over the dust.

After about 15 minutes, I sanded down the glue. One of the scratches did disappear. The other did not, but was very inconspicous.

Paperstone did not have a solution to the scratching problem, although they did let me know that both sides of the material are identical. That was a huge help considering the side I started with, had two deep scratches and the wax was already applied. Don’t think the crazy glue would have stuck to well.

Linda Graves

Gene,

Is crazy glue “green”?

Linda

NOPE

Is wood glue considered green?

By the way, fabulous Paperstone/ Bamboo project Gene. BEAUTIFULLY DONE!

Val

Hey my Sushi mentor..how are ya? well wood glue is different, when using any water based glue it might have less of a voc content..the thing with staright up crazy glue is it has a vapor even after its dry..our integra we use is IAQ when dry when wet its not..but there are no Green police in our shops…

just that if we start to get useta Crazy glue and we bring out on a job to a HIGH MILitant Greenie and ya try to fix it with that eye tearing crazy glue…it could be a questionable practice from the customer…heres what I have in my shop they sell it HD

I use water based wood glue because I use it with Bamboo, so I do change my adhesives, I work with paperstone like wood not ss or quartz.

heres da link to show youse what the glue looks like and its rough MSDS

http://www.goopapro.com/sdp/439009/4/pd-2448355/3377507-1250148.html

oh yeah and for the record here is a picture of coffee beans inlaid in a Paperstone sample display/bamboo top, I used regular resin and Hot glue in the shop all the colors are some of the other colors of Paperstone then i troo in a picture of paperstone mixed with EnviroGLAS. I also made an outside type cabinet for Pool filters outta Paperstone, I’ll get Pics soon, these little boxes get rid of scraps for a good price

Lenny E

Andy,

Its PAPERstone…Have you tried an eraser followed by white-out?

All Joking and kidding aside, Gene, Kudos- that is some beautiful fabrication!

Lenny

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.