Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

OK, I’m finally feed up with my routers in my fab shop. I have a mixed bag of routers and some are getting beyond repair. I want to get new routers, preferably, all the same brand.

What brand is the best and why?

I know this is a loaded question but I would like some help.

Thanks

Ken

Poter Cable, Porter Cable and more Porter Cable. Just my opinion. I have no luck with any other routers.

Ken,

I have a small shop and have used Porter Cable for years. Very reliable. About 4 years ago I bought a 3 1/4 hp Bosch model 1619EVS. Not a single problem with it yet. It is more comfortable to hold than the PC and the height adjustment is easier and more accurate to opperate. I got an adapter ring to fit into the base so that I can use PC guide bushings. My PC’s have been very dependable and I will continue to have them serviced until they are grave ready. I really like the Bosch and will likely buy another one.

Johnny C.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

We have PC but not that other brands are bad. I hear the FESTOOL is nice.

We bought the PC because they were all the same and they were a standard router from PC meaning that in 5 years I could still buy the exact same router and they would still all match.

I have about 20 Porter Cable 3 1/2 HP and they are pretty reliable.

Norm Walters

I have Festool Routers and they work well, if I were going to purchase more I would probably look into the Freud routers Federal Saw and Tool are selling, they seem like great quality, good price.

Donald Barry

Porter cable, 3.25 hp. As they go down or into the repair shop, you have extra bases for template, sink cutout, router tables. I bought a Milwalkee a year ago, fits the hand nicely with a strap that is really handy when you use it one hand, but the collet spun out in the first month and welded the bit in. We use it with that roundover bit, haven’t been able to get it off the collet. When the bit gets dull, I guess I will buy another collet.

Blow them out every day if they were used.

For Solid Surface fabricators, I can only suggest what sells around 80% of the time. Porter-Cable. Freud does have a nice 2 1/4hp fixed base and a 3 1/4hp plunge with 5 year warranties. We also have a lot of customers that won’t use anything but the Makita 3612 which is also a 3 1/4hp. The bottom line is having a service center in your area to take care of whatever the warranty is so it’s probably better to buy fron your local tool guy.

Dave Coccia

Speaking of service, how long does it take to get to a common tool, fix it and get it on the way back? The shop I have used for years, sales and service, takes a month or longer to fix simple stuff. Is it that hard or are parts so expensive that they can’t be stocked?

Buzz

Well Al, here’s my view from a guy with a tool repair division.. Ever buy a tool and extra brushes? Nope. 100% don’t. But, it’s an emergency on my part when the brushes sieze. Like I carry all parts for all tools waiting for yours to break. Try to buy that tool for the cheapest price possible? Most do without regard to the service after the sale. That service, costs money. It aint free. Can’t tell you the amount of people that walk through my door and expect the guys in tool repair to drop everything they’re doing to fix their tool. Why? Because they only have one, bought it at HD or Low/Depot and cop an attitude with us because we don’t happen to stock their 90 cent part that they were to stupid to buy extra of in the beginning.

Speaking of that 90 cent part. Lets’ see, I’m out of it so I have to order it. Tool manufactures have minimums on parts for shipping. So I have to wait to order if the minimums not met, I could however order it seperate but there’s a 5 dollar UPS fee and a $7.50 charge for under minimum so $12.50 + your 90 cent part. Most folks think you’re ripping them off on that all for the pleasure of you making 1 DOLLAR on a part that costs you $18.00 in man hours to administer to.

Did I mention that dude who walked through the door didn’t have a skematic with him to afford me the part #? You know, the one that comes in the box when you buy the tool?

Tim Atkinson

Al, I could literally go on for 10 pages on power tool repair. I’m so over it. That is why I said to buy your tools from a local so you can hold their feet to the fire. After the warranty period, your on your own.

Dave, sounds like a tough business.

We buy probally half of our tools from the local shop. Last 3.25 hp porter cable was $80.00 higher than Amazon.com, so the company has a decent profit margin. Usually we try to keep two of everything so if one goes down, we can limp along. Sometimes when the wait is too long, we drop off the tool at the repair shop and go next door to their sales room and buy a replacement.

Spare parts, well I get stupid every once in a while and buy some extra brushes or power cords to keep around. Finding them when they are needed is another story. Usually our breakdowns are the kind where the mysterious blue smoke is released. Must be important cause they won’t work once all the smoke is gone, need to stock some blue smoke and learn how to refill.

What would be cheaper for me would be to charge for expedited service including parts that you stock for just such an occasion. Add that minumum and shipping chages to all repairs even if in stock would be fine with me.

Anyone else think someone offering quick service would be worth extra bucks?

Wags

Dave, I happen to agree with you 100%. People try to beat you up for the lowest price and then expect exceptional service to go with that. I built a relationship with my suppliers, I wanted them to make money cause if they didn’t they would not be there when I needed them. cheap is not always the least expensive. And don’t assume cause Amazon sells something at a certain price that everyone buys lower than that. I use to purchase Kitchen Aid Dishwahers by the dozen. I finally dropped appliances when I could buy the same appliance retail for less than I paid wholesale. its the same with tools, and many other products. Deals are cut to the big guys, that the smaller accounts never even see…yet the big guys don’t offer the same service, knowledge, Loaner Tools etc. When a car dealer tells me he is only making $100 on a sale, I run not walk out cause I know hes a liar… I shop service, knowledge, availability and then price. I make a decent living and want the folks I deal with to also make a decent living.

Build a relationship and have some loyalty, in the long run it will come back to you.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

I always get my tool parts from http://www.toolpartsdirect.com Check it out cause it could solve your problems.

I’ve sent people to that site Andy. Good to have around except for the folks who realize you have to pay with a credit card and they don’t have one…

BTW, I said on a previous post that I made $1.00 on that part, more like 10 cents. Al, it’s not a tough business because I don’t have to do it! I do it as a convienance for select customers. The ones that order 10 extra cords, brushes, collets etc…

I just love when I get the call from dude who’s skimming through the yellow pages and sees tool in ou name. They’ll call for some obscure part. I ask them where they bought the tool: Big Box store. I then ask them why they don’t go there to buy their parts. They don’t sell them is always the answer. You know why I ask them? THEY MAKE NO MONEY ON THEM! But, thank you Joe consumer for thinking you got a great deal by buying that 18V combo pack with 4 tools for $159.00. In fact, you didn’t. That tool will become as disposable as your console TV and you countertop microwave. All because YOU got a great deal.

Funny thing about Amazon, you ever notice that when you see the lowest price EVER on a tool…It’s NEVER in stock?!?! Hell, I’ll beat their price by 20%, but I don’t have it in stock either.

Jon Olson
    Al We have an old file cabinet that that we keep brushes ,switches,cords etc. for our PC routers Its all tagged so its easy to find. If a tool has been repaired we write on the side of the tool what the date of repair was. We also keep a binder and log in the repair information each tool has an engraved number which helps to organize things. Our policy is to change the armature once than its retired the second time it goes.

So may say why spend money to stock parts? I feel its more costly not to have your tool running

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.