Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author

Ok..so here i did some Paperstone counters for theis Ice cream joint that is part of a bank…so I hadta inlay most of the topping the Ice cream place offers

The bank is called Magnify…and I guess the Ice cream store is somewhat too

anyway I polished up the paperstone with Fine sandpapers to gloss up the clarity of the resin to see the stuff…anyway…what next????

Sorry about the cloudy pictures

Karl Crooks

You got Banks that sell Ice Cream in FL ?? Man what next, thats some crazy stuff !!

Gene:

Great looking work as usual, however, Paperstone is not recommended by the manufacturer for exterior use:

“We recommend PaperStone for a wide variety of interior horizontal applications such as counters for kitchens, window sills and door thresholds.”

Of course, you’re already out of warranty:

“This warranty is for PaperStone panels 3/4 inch thick and thicker used in countertops and for residential and commercial horizontal applications. It does not include uses of PaperStone in saunas, shower pans, steam rooms or outdoor uses in, by way of example only, grill tops, outside counters and boats.”

Fortunately, your top is somewhat sheltered by an awning and the dark color is more UV stable than the lighter ones, also according to the manufacturer.

Cash that check quickly,

Joe

Joe..my man…who cares about the warranty…but just to humor you.
    http://www.paperstoneproducts.com/p…ations.php

besides the MFG doesnt even know alot about what to do with paperstone..you can throw a piece in a bucket of gasoline for weeks and nothing will happen..

Read the whole website of a product before you call the countertop police on me dude..your a trip..did you also know that Starbucks has wrap the exterior of their shops in it…

Joe whats your gig? it seems all you do is quick google things surf the headlines and try to slam those once you think we did something wrong…

I can save you alot of time…The creator of paperstone knows I can do wonders with his product way better than he can.we all can…ya know I am sure there are MFg’s  of Solid Surface who cant glue up a top…
    have you ever worked with paperstone? cash the check quick..jeez

I love ya though Joe…Just dont waste too much time being critical in the world..it might keep you from expressing your own creations
    Love always Gene…xoxoxoxox

Didja see the right side where it says exterior.blah, outdoor kitchens…OOOOh

what a snag..JOE the man has been caught being somewhat wrong..hahahahaha..just kidding…Joe…I hope you dont get mad…I just have to bounce off your critical jabs…so others dont fear your countertop detective work..

uh oh Im probaly gonna regret proving you wrong…Your gonna get all your encyclopedias and slam me …gulp…

Gene:

It seems Paperstone wants it both ways. They want thier product used as exterior siding and outdoor kitchens to expand thier market, then in the next breath they want to confine their product to interior horizontal applications to arm their lawyer when the exterior products develop problems. We just saw this with Kindred granite sinks, “scratch proof” vs. “scratch resistant”. Which is it?

To answer your fair question, no, I’ve never fabricated Paperstone. I won’t shy away if I get a call for it, but until I get very comfortable with it, I won’t push any boundaries as you courageously have.

I like your point and it’s true that fabricators often drag manufacturers into new and/or better uses for thier products. DuPont didn’t invent seam adhesive or thermoforming, two of the greatest leaps in solid surface, those were the sweat and profit incentives of the guys who make money with this stuff.

I’m sure you were aware of the limitations of the use of Paperstone, however, there may be less experienced readers who, having read about your experience here, may push the boundaries of the product too far and get themselves into trouble. My information was offered as a technical curb to temper their enthusiasm.

If posters only get “attaboys” from readers here, it will quickly become boring, Jon and Sterling Surfaces excepted, of course. Posters should expect probing questions, constructive criticism and alternative points of view. They deserve no less and we all benifit from the exchange.

Keep ’em coming please,

Joe

Jon Olson

Gene for fabricator of the year

Gene:

I sent the following email to Mr. Mark Knudtson, the technical rep for Paperstone:

Mr. Knudtson:

Mr. Gene McDonald, a Paperstone fabricator in Florida, and I are having a friendly exchange over the proper applications of Paperstone at the fabricatornetwork.com forum: http://www.thefabricatornetwork.com/Forum/tabid/164/aff/169/aft/258084/afv/topic/afpgj/1/Default.aspx#264669
    Could you please read the thread and weigh in?

Thanks,

Joe Corlett
    248-842-5693

Let’s hear directly from Paperstone, ‘eh?

Joe

Steve Mehan

Gene,

I’ve scene alot of ice cream places spec using corian festival for counters. But your work puts a new idea out there.
    I like it and I know my kids would too.
    Are those strawberry’s in the A?

Joe…thanx for writing friendly exchange…I was concerned you might not talk to me know more and critique my work..

Did you look at the link of the specification page off paperstones website?

didnt and shouldn’t you ask him why it says exterior kitchens…did you see paperstone pauls post on ” Other uses for paperstone” where he used it as a racecar head gasket?

it doesnt matter what this guy tells you…You are wrong…the website says exterior uses..

and here is the ultimate slam…that is the North side of the building…for Sustainable site placement..which means the Sun never evens sees those tops

man is there I post somewhere where you say “HMMMM I dont know enough or have experience with this material…maybe Gene is trailblazing through the fab manual…much like alot of people did with Corians FIRST manual

did you know In Martin  Funcks talk in Mass last year he showed us how he wrapped an exterior building in Solid Surface…should we call the warranty police on him…keep it up my brother I dont mind argueing with you…I just wish you would waste this energy on actually working with paperstone adn lets see what you are doing…I still love ya Joe…these typing quote cant show the sincerity and kindness I have But If this gets nasty and you start pouting and get upset let me know

Can ya answer me though why does it matter if the website I attched shows you its uses?

Frosted Cherries Steve..Jon thanx again..just messing around…this stuff is fun…I know Joe gets mad at my stuff all the time..but hes a great guy…I hadta laugh he got the paperstone tech after me

I just hope Joe repeats all the uses people are doing when the guy tells him about starbucks…Skateboard parks for Richlite…My buddy Joe

Norm Walters

Speaking as friends to both Joe and Gene, and not a moderator, let me say this. Joe let’s go back to where I originally met you, on the ISSFA forums. Let’s talk ISSFA’s founding for a minute.

Wasn’t the whole idea of that organization to advance fabricators by not allowing manufacturer’s to have their way with us?  It was “us against them”, not “us against us”, That part of the organization worked well, this forum is somewhat of a continuation of that, albeit a little less prohibitive as far as content.

That being said I’m not sure what purpose your jabs at Gene serve, other than being self-serving.  Is grabbing the limelight really that important to you  that you would risk friendships with fellow fabricators or just create unecessary animosity?

If the majority of folks posted on here with apparent lack of respect for each other, how popular do you think this forum would be, how many would even want to post on here.

If you were genuinely concerned about Gene’s use of a product the respectful thing to do would have been to instant message him. Entertainment?, at what cost?

Steve Mehan

Gene,

I’ve been looking at this top and was wondering how did you keep the sprinkles in the inlay to pour in the resin around the radius corners on the returns. Never having done any type of poured inlay work, I’m curious an interested.

Steve

Posted By Norm Walters on 07 Jul 2009 06:47 PM
    Speaking as friends to both Joe and Gene, and not a moderator, let me say this. Joe let’s go back to where I originally met you, on the ISSFA forums. Let’s talk ISSFA’s founding for a minute.

Wasn’t the whole idea of that organization to advance fabricators by not allowing manufacturer’s to have their way with us?  It was “us against them”, not “us against us”, That part of the organization worked well, this forum is somewhat of a continuation of that, albeit a little less prohibitive as far as content.

That being said I’m not sure what purpose your jabs at Gene serve, other than being self-serving.  Is grabbing the limelight really that important to you  that you would risk friendships with fellow fabricators or just create unecessary animosity?

If the majority of folks posted on here with apparent lack of respect for each other, how popular do you think this forum would be, how many would even want to post on here.

If you were genuinely concerned about Gene’s use of a product the respectful thing to do would have been to instant message him. Entertainment?, at what cost?

Norm:

First, I love you and Gene.

Second, where on earth do you get “…jabs at Gene..”?

Norm, I did not write the Paperstone website or its technical specifications. However, when I saw Gene’s application, my first instinct was “Can you use that stuff outside”? Now, somehow, because I point out the difference between what the manufacturer of a product specifies (which I did not write or have control over) and the application presented, I’m somehow the bad guy? Give me a break, Norm. That is irritating as is your “self-serving” allegation.

I am absolutely confident that Gene and I are good enough friends that he can take my pointing out conflicting messages sent by Paperstone’s website without getting his panties in a bunch. I have a ton of respect for Gene and his work and said as much in my first post.

An instant message would not have been appropriate. Suppose a less experienced fabricator would have seen Gene’s application and hadn’t checked the conflicting information from the Paperstone website. He could get himself into lots of trouble. My private message would have done him no good.

My email to Paperstone was to allow them the opportunity to explain just what in the heck they mean. Is Paperstone for “horizontal interior applications” or is it acceptable siding? They can’t have it both ways. This is not between Gene and me, it’s between what Paperstone says to its fabricators publicly. When and if they explain their website discrepancies, readers will be the wiser and isn’t that the point?

Joe

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.