Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Tom M

Mission Statement

Recognizing the need for the solid surface industry to present honest, verifiable information to the Design community, the Fabrication community, and the Public at large, the (association) exists to serve it’s members as they work toward that goal.

Through sponsorship of testing and other research, assistance in public relations, and through open, respectful discussion, the (association) will be a repository for the knowledge gained, and promotion to be used to further the goals of the solid surface industry.

Partnership without intimidation;

Debate without rancor;

Research without bias.

Providing our patrons [edit] with the information they need, presented with the confidence of personal experience.

That is our belief, our goal, and our mission.

Norm Walters

Projected projects

1. Fund tests that will be done at either a university or a private lab to show why solid surface has an NSF rating.

2. Infiltrate every available DIY sight on the internet, and educate consumers on the benefits of solid surface.

3. Respond quickly to articles written in magazines (i.e. Consumer Reports) when they are found to be misleading in regards to solid surface.

4. Develop marketing strategies for fabricators so that they can more effectively sell against other materials (offered free to members).

5. Accumulate the best of the best photos of solid surface projects, and make a short but flashy video, and get it in the public eye as many ways as are possible.

6. Keep abreast of all the new solid surface materials as they become available and get photos of them in the public eye.

7. Educate the public about wet wall installations and their ease of cleaning. (an untapped market in my opinion).

8. Circulate a video of a solid surface repair being made.

9. Circulate a video of the thermoforming process to commercial designers and specifiers.

Awesome Norm, I knew we were going to need the Mission Statement first as to seeing the other posts….I knew someone was eventually gonna ask why????

Tom M

Excellent suggestions, Norm.

Noel Houze

I like……

Lenny E

Tom and Norm, Those are some great missions contained in your statements! Kudos.

Tom M

I don’t really like the word “clients” (second to last sentence), but my internal thesaurus is on the fritz. Any other catch-all suggestions?

Lenny E

Tom M wrote

Mission Statement

Recognizing the need for the solid surface industry to present honest, verifiable information to the Design community, the Fabrication community, and the Public at large, the (association) exists to serve it’s members as they work toward that goal.

Through sponsorship of testing and other research, assistance in public relations, and through open, respectful discussion, the (association) will be a repository for the knowledge gained, and promotion to be used to further the goals of the solid surface industry.

Partnership without intimidation;

Debate without rancor;

Research without bias

Providing our clients with the information they need, presented with the confidence of personal experience.

That is our belief, our goal, and our mission.

Dear Tom,

Im not very good at mission statements. I think they are a corporate fad but apparently expected these days. Ba Shi Ba mission statement .was purloined from Larry the Cable Guy….Get R Done! However I see what you mean about clients. Clients assumes the exchange of money, for a product or service.. I would assume we would want to get the word out, to the design community, specifiers , homeowners making purchasing decisions, who would not pay for that information. One of the nice words that came up on the T function was patron. (I like that that, but it still infers an exchange of money). Maybe a better phrasing would be general public, and industry communitiy , in lieu of clients. What are everyones thoughts?

B Rgds,

Lenny

Lenny E

Oh one more thing, the debate without rancor is a very good clause, but its gonna be a toughie for me. I promise to do my very best to uphold the debate without rancor subclause ……Scouts honor! !

Tom M

Well,

Patrons sounds better than clients, so I swapped it out. Good call. If there are any better I will adjust.

The debate without rancor will be tough for a lot of us, but I’m not gonna get persnickity about it. I think that in general, online discussions about association issues should have more decorum than usual.

Besides, that’s what the swamp is for. Bitch away!

Gordon Doull

Associates?

Audience?

Collegues?

Co-dependents? (sorry, habit)

I really like the mission statement, Tom. Seems a liitle broadstroke, but good. Just to be clear, are we thinking that SS is just flat out mis-represented in the marketplace or simply not represented at all??

If you REALLY want to discuss it, you where to go…………

Tom M

Gordon,

The non-swamp answer is, a little of both.

I’m going to watch a few Firefly episodes with the son and Mrs., and I’ll give you the swamp answer over there.

Maybe throw in a few “goramns” while I’m at it.

Thanks for the note about the statement. I like coleagues (sp?), but it seems a bit incestuopus. Audience sounds good, but a bit fourth-wallish (theater term). Associates may actually be the best we might come up with.

Could we make it say our peers, patrons and general public or is that just to many words?

Reuben

Chad Pitcher

All,

I have spent a few hours chatting with Norm and Andy over these threads. Some of the problems people have brought up are sinking in, as much as I would like this thing go get going so we can collect the money for the testing project. That and the negativity that crops up is not good for morale or progress. That said, we opened up this publicly, so they have every right to give their 2 cents worth.

i got the ball rolling on this thing, and feel some ownership in the thing. For that reason, I have asked Andy if he could look into getting us a private area to post all this in, those involved in working on the details at that time will be invited into the private area. We can work on what we want to do without interupting progress to defend what we are doing or why.

Forming a non profit organization will take some time and some major funds. We need to continue working toward that goal, and I still want it to get done, however, in the meantime, I am going to go ahead with setting up a bank account and start collecting money for the study. The new area that Andy is going to work on will host everything concerning the fund rasiing and progress. Not just anyone will have access, you have to support the work in some way, either with cash , supplies or as a volunteer.

What I have had as core agruments all along is that this work needs done, comparison testing, and those who will benefit need to help share the work load. Taking this private will get us back on focus quickly and make sure we are ready to go forward.

We will be able to continue to post on some of the progress here in the regular section, to help recruit new members.

So, keep on working on everything, nothing has changed except going private in the near future. Some suggestions have been made that it start as a private for profit business, just so it can afford the start up costs. That is looking better and better as the debate on insurance and other details continues. Later what ever is done can be folded into a nonprofit. Even formed as a for profit organizaton, there will be no profits, just money collected and spent on projects.

Tom M

Hmm…

How about just “Our peers and our Patrons”. Doesn’t roll too bad. Has that aliteration thing going, and I think it about covers it, yes?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.