Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    KCWOOD

Posted By Andy Graves on 11 Jan 2012 12:05 PM
    I have two rotex sanders and they break all the time. Constantly send it in for repair. Sure they can be fixed and that is great, but it aint free to get fixed.

You make is seem that no other tool on the market is any good. And who is to say that Dave can’t get the DeWalt repaired?

BUt if you would use them with a vac like they are suppose to be used, your repair cost would be nil….  I have a rotex going on 8 yrs now, and been sent back once for a speed contol. My other one, 3 yrs now.

I’m just saying tools are not what they use to be… the gap between good and bad is wider now than ever. Every tool I see in the box stores are made to be replaced and not fixed.

I bought a dewalt 1/2″ drill. 6 months with very little use, the switch went out. I paid $89 for the drill, the switch was going to be $44.00 with $17.00 shipping… go figure…

David Gerard

I do have to agree with you Kelsey that many tools now adays are disposible. I sent a bunt of tools up to the dewalt, porter cable shop the other day. I really should have just bought bearings and bought a press. I tore down my(15 yr old, $100.00) Grizzly dust collector the other day, once again it was the bearings screaming Mary in the motor. When I popped off the main (1″ dia. shaft) my bro said it looked like the same size as the bearings on his Polaris 600 sno machine main shaft. I gave him a side ways glance. He ran home and grabbed the spare bearings…well I’ll be dipped! it fit! A remarkable difference in quality between the 2 bearings. The dust collector has never ran so smooth. It seems like I mostly change bearings, how about you guys?

David Gerard

I do have to agree with you Kelsey that many tools now adays are disposible. I sent a bunt of tools up to the dewalt, porter cable shop the other day. I really should have just bought bearings and bought a press. I tore down my(15 yr old, $100.00) Grizzly dust collector the other day, once again it was the bearings screaming Mary in the motor. When I popped off the main (1″ dia. shaft) my bro said it looked like the same size as the bearings on his Polaris 600 sno machine main shaft. I gave him a side ways glance. He ran home and grabbed the spare bearings…well I’ll be dipped! it fit! A remarkable difference in quality between the 2 bearings. The dust collector has never ran so smooth. It seems like I mostly change bearings, how about you guys?

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Repairing your own tools will save you a bunch, but the parts are sometimes more expensive than it’s worth. If you have the right tools it makes the repair goes a lot faster.

David Gerard

So I get the track saw repaired.  They put a new armiture with bearings and brushes.  I went ito the  service center to get it.  They let me plug it in to test it.  Sure got the attention of the counter guy with the squeal the saw let out.   I asked it be checked out first thing in the morn.  I go get it and the mngr says all is good.  I said  I hoped so since i live 220 miles away and I was headed home.  Once home I put the blade back in and fired it up. Fixed my a$$!!  Frankie Rizzo made the call to the mngr and demanded a refund.  Instead he had to settle for a new saw for the cost of the  repair bill.   3 for 3 with the Dewalt service center on repairs.  Every time I get them back less than fixed.     OK tools but I need to learn to just throw them out next time.  Now if Porter cable would just use better bearings I wont have to see that place ever again.

KCWOOD

Posted By David Gerard on 09 Feb 2012 01:22 AM
    So I get the track saw repaired.  They put a new armiture with bearings and brushes.  I went ito the  service center to get it.  They let me plug it in to test it.  Sure got the attention of the counter guy with the squeal the saw let out.   I asked it be checked out first thing in the morn.  I go get it and the mngr says all is good.  I said  I hoped so since i live 220 miles away and I was headed home.  Once home I put the blade back in and fired it up. Fixed my a$$!!  Frankie Rizzo made the call to the mngr and demanded a refund.  Instead he had to settle for a new saw for the cost of the  repair bill.   3 for 3 with the Dewalt service center on repairs.  Every time I get them back less than fixed.     OK tools but I need to learn to just throw them out next time.  Now if Porter cable would just use better bearings I wont have to see that place ever again.

So 440 miles of driving + gas … plus several hours of driving @ ?? per hour = shoulda bought a Festool…  Cheapest tool I have ever owned!

David Gerard

Kelsey, I was in town for business anyway, customer flew me up. One thing Im doing since the saw will be replaced is Im plushing this saw hard to see what it can take. Lots of great noise coming out of this saw.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.