Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Lenny E

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to give a shout out to J. Cristina of Sahara cabinets Inc, in Fort Myers FL, for the Lumistone® Inlay Cartridge Product Review. BTW How are you? Long time no see. And of course I owe another shout out to Norm Walters of Norm Walters Construction fame for assisting in getting the materials together. Thanks for the feedback. My apologies for not posting sooner. I cant open any of the reviews (maybe thats due to my browser settings or to our friendly Chinese Computer police). I had a Lumistone® person stateside open it and send it to me in pasted an email.

Thanks again,

Lenny

Lenny how are you?.. I played around with the lumistome inlay too and love it as well as the customer…maybe Norm or John can ansewr this or any other fabnetter//

how do youse take a picture of the Lumistone glowing in the dark???

I have a new camera with high megapixels..but the flash always make the Lumistone white, i tried various ways in my camera manual…I even put my finger over the flash…any ideas would be appreciated

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Gene,

Finally, my college degree comes in handy. Do this:

• Get tripod of stationary place to set camera.
    • Turn off Flash
    • Set timer (for when you are taking family pictures)
    • Turn off all the lights.
    • Press the button and wait

The reason for the timer is so you don’t move the camera as the shutter is open. Turn off the flash cause that will wash out the illumination of the inlay.

Hope this helps.

Post the picture when you finish.

Norm Walters

What he said

David Gerard

Whats a street light? “I got the sun in the mornin and the moon at night” can’t wait to try this stuff. We put the liturature in the show room, I think I need to make something and show it?

Jon Olson

Thanks John for the report. J Cristina is one smart guy. A great person to have on your team.

Lenny E

Hi all,

My apologies, I forgot to send a shout out (and thank you) to Andy, and all the rest of the Fabnet folks who make this site happen. I think the photo tips from everyone were correct. Very dark environment (curtains shut to block out urban lighting and/or streetlights) ,No flash, long exposure .

Thanks for the interest, Gene, Jon, Norm, Andy , David and everyone! And I agree, that Cristina is one great guy!

All the best,

Lenny

David Gerard

I along with one of the Homer design center gals worked at the Peninsula home show yesterday. As we walked in with our samples and such we were stopped because there was a power outage. Once checked in we procceded to the booth. While we were setting up in the dark I noticed a bright glow 2 layers under the pile. LUMISTONE! people stopped by just to see what it was that was glowing so bright. The concrete top fabricator was very interested in the inlay glue. The biggest part of my day was correcting home owners that corian is not the generic term used to discribe Solid Surface. That alone let me know that I have the opportunity to educate the masses of the existance of SS

Lenny E

Hi David,

Thanks so much for the kind words and for displaying Lumistone®. I’ve been really blessed to be able to work on the teams developing and patenting things like Lumistone for Vistas Group International, Artifacts and the Mica Series for Formica. I’ve been fortunate to be able to design the Graniti series and other patterns for Formica, as well as doing designs for E stone companies. I’ve been working the past year on something else. I’ve emailed a few of you about it, but will be posting publicly soon.

I’ve always felt design is the key to re-capturing market share for solid surface. When you compare Solid Surface to other materials like E stone or laminate, solid surface is such an easy material for a materials designer to manipulate. If you can imagine it, most of the time you can figure out a way to design it using solid surface.

For example just look at some of the unique and beautiful designs that have emerged over the past few years from a myriad of company’s. Volcanics Series from LG-Hi Macs, those really cool patterns from Staron with the large clear chips (Tempest), the backlit series from Corian, and Avonite offerings (too numerous to mention- they always have cool, cutting edge designs).

And there are the art-forms that you, John Cristina, Travis, Tom, Jon, Norm, Andy, Al, and a host of other Fab-Netters too numerous to mention, craft for your customers as a part of your daily business. I’m always in awe when I see and admire your numerous and stunning creations. Kudos gentlemen, you are a credit to our industry. You fine fellows keep Solid Surface at the forefront and are capturing market share- 1 top at a time!

Best Regards,

Lenny

Sorry I have not posted in a while. Been pretty crazy. When I did the inlay I used the CNC to cut the material down, call me lazy I have sanding. Every mornining when I would open the shop I used to go around back and check the pump and dust collector, well the top of the bag was glowing. Pretty weird sight. As well as the mix tip laying on the floor and the dust glowing. I would love to get a hold of a half sheet of the stuff.

Lenny, when is the next time you will be state side?

Lenny E

Hi John,

Sure you can get 1/2 a sheet, just call the Lumistone folks. If they try to say you can only buy a whole sheet let me know and I will call them. I have to warn you, its expensive. We offer the inlay cartridge, as well as strips, to make it more affordable. Thats one material you dont want to waste. I cant believe Im tryng to talk to you into buying less.

I used to demo the inlay in fab classes. Had one guy save the dust, and he told me he was going to make paint out of it and paint all the headlights on his slot cars. Your right that dust really glows. I had everyone flipping out one time when we first developed it., I told the night sanding crew we were working with some solid surface returned from the nuke lab at Los Alamos. When they all ran outside for a smoke break and saw their shirts glowing, they came running in yelling at me. We all had a good laugh after I explained.

As for the States I have no idea when I will come back and visit. I generally get back to the Good Ole USA once a year for a week or two. Ive been out of country for more than a year now. Have no plans on returning anytime soon, but my schedule changes daily. Will let you know as soon as I find out.

All the Best,

Lenny

Andy, thanx for the picture taking advice…I got it down pat now…The Lumistone dragonfly inlaid in the black didn’t glow much..think cause it was too thin…It glows powerful in person but the picture couldnt pic it up well…but look at the little sample glow on the toilet

David Gerard

I gotta how this to the entomologist buddy. Nice !

Lenny E

Hi Gene,

Lumistone glows more when its thicker. How deep did you rout the channel for the Lumistone?. I always got the best results with a 1/4 inch deep rout. I know they say dont go over 3/16 inch deep for inlays. 3/16 inch is OK, but that extra 1/16 inch gives it 33% more material to glow.

I could make it glow more with a shallower rout, but then the product becomes more expensive. Would you find an advantage in that? Let me know, I like listening to customers, and value feedback because YOU GUYS are the experts.

Nice Work BTW. I really love seeing the inlays on this site, from you Travis and others.

B Rgds,

Lenny

Yeah Im statring to figure that out. about making it thicker and deeper..the customer of these designs just love it…She shows it off looking forward to implementing this into another LEED project. I’ll be working on next month

..I’ll keep ya posted I have been able to prove to some of the Green industry that using Lumistone weighs in as saving more energy..of course I keep getting told to sit down in these organization business meetings

I just gotta bust thorugh building codes of these damn exit sign regulations…..I’ll keep you posted…or have you been interested in Green buildings..Lumistone exit signs and baseboard saves miles of conduit and electricity, let alone the labor of installing those Clockwork Orange looking exit signs..plus they are ugly

I just picked up four more cartidges from Fred at Tower…looking forward to my next Lumistone challenge

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.