Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Norm,

That’s what we do. Some bowls have changing angles as you move around the bowl. We just choose the bigger angle and cut it. At least it removes the glue from the entire bowl.

Dave Coccia

Great Norm & Andy, so perhaps I’ll start selling angle finders? Here’s a dose of reality for you two: The vast majority of folks are going to:

A) Buy the cheapest damn bowl they can get their paws on.

B) Not worry about the bit till the ones they have in stock don’t work.

C) Call the bowl manufacture who does not have an answer and does not give a crap.

D) Call the bit distributor (me) and start the process all over again wasting my time because the cheap-a$$ bowl company has the cart before the horse.

In anything posted above, did I stutter??

Norm Walters

Dave, don’t hold back, tell us how you really feel.

Tired of it! Tired of cheap sh*t.

BTW Norm, has one bowl importer/distributor/manufacture said one word on this thread about these bowls? Hell no! Their dirty little secret is out of the bag!

Dave,

Some would buy the cheapest bowl, but in our case, we usually keep the sheet stock and the bowl from the same manufacturer if at all possible. Avonite sheets, Avonite bowls.

Guilty of B), no exuse comes to mind, just lazy I guess.

Post on Fabnet and get the answer, easier than calling the manufacturer.

D) Maybe other bowl providers will do as Livingstone did and address the issue.

Got the bit today, freebee, Woo Hoo! Hope it works as advertised.

Dan Kuntz

Update….

The first bit didn’t work, but after a phone call or two, Wesley Tool and the Livingstone Rep came up with a perfect match, Wesley Tool # 300-133WI. It trims it perfectly, drops a small bevel maybe a 1/4″ wide between the top and the bowl edge all the way around.

After the first of the year, I’ll write up an article and post some pictures.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Al,

Did you talk with Bill at Wesley Tool? He is a good guy and knows his bits.

That would be VELEPEC #30-133. We use their part #’s instead of adding tweaks to it to confuse the masses.

Hell, Velepec had never heard of a Livingston bowl.

Ross

Great! Edited out. Actual VELEPEC part # 30-133 Livingstone should have known what bowl bit to use before selling the bowls! Cart before the horse…

Andy,

I beleive it was Bill I talked to. He listened to the problem, rattled off a part number and said he would call Dick Thomas at Livingstone and get the right bit to us. Got it a couple of days later. Very good customer service.

Dave,

How true, but problems are also chances to prove the value of customer service. They did good on this.

Al, I have no bone to pick with them or any bowl manufactuer/importer. My problem is bowl dumpers who give fabricators NO CLUE what bit to use, yet sell the bowls. If their priorities were set from the beginning, you or any other fabricator for that matter would not have had to jump through flaming hoops to get your answer! And, my wasted time meter would not be moving north!

Why did Dick Thomas (who I do not know) not set a parameter as it relates to the right bowl bit before selling the bowls? And if he did, why does the head honcho at VELEPEC who I have talked to about this not know about it?

Reasonable questions…………..

Andy Graves
    Keymaster
    Posted By FEDSAWDAVE on 12/23/2007 9:03 PM

Great! Edited out. Actual VELEPEC part # 30-133 Livingstone should have known what bowl bit to use before selling the bowls! Cart before the horse…

Dave,

Bill with Wesley Tools has many of his bits designed by Velepec. But like you, Bill adds value to the solid surface fabricator because he has been in the business for a very long time. He offers a service that many companies don’t

Bill Lonergn

Dave,

I’m with you on why manufacturers don’t work out all these details, but Livingstone has spent a couple of hundred sending me bits to try out. Better late than never.

My guess is that Livingstone and others figure the fabricators already have a variety of bits and don’t need told. The reality is that many of us “get by” with what we have till the larger needs are taken care of. Dick Thomas jumped on this when he became aware of it and it is my undestanding that the issue was a hot issue for upper managment, I know that Dick was doing all he could to get er done. It just took me a week longer to get the time to test the bit.

When you need a tool, you are already paying for it. Sometimes though you gotta trade time for expense.

That would be a good project for someone with some extra time, find out who sells a bowl without a recomended bit, figure out the answers and post them.

Norm Walters

This is all you need, cut it down so it only goes about an inch inside the bowl, subtract 90 degrees and you have the angle of the bit you need.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.