Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author

Nice inexpensive sinks, with one problem, the angle changes around thecircumfrence of the sink. Two spots left and right of the center back where it is square, the rest varies in slope. As in the bowl pushes away the sink bevel bit leaving a lot of sanding to do.

Anyone found a bowl bit that works well for this type of sink?

Thanks,

Al

Norm Walters

Al, 80 grit on a Rotex, set on Rotary, won’t heat up the adhesive and will make fast work of it, not for the weak of heart though.

David Pruitt

Once again, “great prices on bowls” without the sellers having any regard for what bit routes them. I’ve heard this so many times that I think I’ll just ramp up stock on 40-80g abrasive so you guys can grind away!

Ron Gennaro

Yah know, if a guy made a spring loaded router base for this he might sell more than a few.

Miguel

Al, I have mega-hours of my time trying to decipher this never ending degree of angle problem as it relates to all these new bowls being pimped out there. I have no problem helping anybody who calls. It tends to get frustrating when Our customers, along with me & Velepec have no clue as to these angles. Of course, the customer has already called the bowl seller and ya know what he gets? “We have no clue!” Had it happen this morning.

So, dear bowl seller, I’d be more that happy to do your job for you, please call me for my social security # as at this point, I’ll need to be on your payroll. Nobody works for free!

nikrum

Well, that makes sense, making a bowl with no thought to how it is installed. Looks like you would need at least three different angle bits, or over cut the front a bit.

I have used a laminate tilt base before, but thought there must be a better way.

I guess not.

Notice how suspiciously quiet bowl folks are? They know exactly what I’m referring to!!

will cousins

Ah, the power of Fabnet…..

I got a call today, actually two calls, from the fine folks at Livingstone (US Surface Warehouse). Seems that their sink is very close to the Corian 810 vanity bowl.

I was using a Swanstone bevel bit before, but the rep said if I used the Corian bit, it would make things a lot easier.

Problem solved…… might even be better since the Corian bit has a roundover and a bevel, one operation instead of two.

2Sharp

Got an email tonight from our Livingstone rep about the sink issue. They are sending me a Wesley bowl bit for testing on some of their bowls and if it works well, adding it to their website for other fabricators. Turns out the bevel bit I was using was 8-9 degrees and I need more like 15 degree.

I’ll take some pictures of the old way and the new way, time the sanding process and write it up. Maybe Andy could use it in his article section on the home page.

Win Win situation.

Right, a VELEPEC bowl bit.

Norm Walters

Al, the 810 bowl is like a goldfish bowl (very small). I’ve only used that bowl when I was doing a 18″ deep vanity. You making tops for little people now?

Tom M

Norm, I assume you’re talking about an 18″ vanity cabinet? You must be putting the faucet at the “corner” of the Oval. We sort of figure a 20.5″ deep top as the cut off depth.

Norm Walters

Tom, Al, my bad, I was thinking of the 820

Both of which (810, 820) have established router bits for them.

There was a large Solid Surface sheet goods manufacture that came out with a new bowl, Made in China, ready to dump 1000’s on the market and a large router bit manufacture was getting tons of calls about how to route them. The large bit company called the large SS company to try to get the degree of angle. You know, so they could answer the ridiculous amount of calls they were getting on these bowls. To help fabricators.

They said they’d get back to them. They never did!

Norm Walters

Dave, isn’t it easy enough to put an angle finder on the bowl to figure out what bit you need? If you have an angle finder that measures the angle from the glue surface of the bowl, down an inch into the bowl and the angle finder says 100 degrees, subtract 90 degrees and you get ten, this bowl would take a ten degree bit. Am I missing something?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.