Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Now I think I know why.

Joe

Len Smith

Wow, that came out of let field, but you are right. Not a fan.

Posted By Len Smith on 06 Dec 2011 11:12 PM
    Wow, that came out of let field, but you are right. Not a fan.

Len:

Center/libertarian field please.

Joe

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Boo Hoo Joe. Walmart had an equal playing field and did better what other could not. Why didn’t Sears or KMart or Target or all the other retailers do it better and compete with WalMart.

They didn’t get this big overnight, it took years.

They complain about the wages of the “Associate” and claim they are underpaid. First, have you seen some of the associates? They wouldn’t be ‘hirable’ at many places. Second, if they don’t like working at WalMart….quit and go get a job at some other company that would be willing to hire you.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Forgot to mention, if you don’t like WalMart, do what Len does and refuse to shop there. That is the only way to reduce their revenue.

KCWOOD

Posted By Andy Graves on 12 Dec 2011 07:50 PM
    Boo Hoo Joe. Walmart had an equal playing field and did better what other could not. They complain about the wages of the “Associate” and claim they are underpaid. First, have you seen some of the associates? They wouldn’t be ‘hirable’ at many places. Second, if they don’t like working at WalMart….quit and go get a job at some other company that would be willing to hire you.

Yeah, we had this poor older lady who died a few years back in our town. Poor lady walked to her Job at wal-Mart, even in the snow. She lived alone with her cats. She had started to work at our local wal-mart when it first opened and worked there for 30+ years.
    Her house was falling down around her when she passed away. Everyone thought of her years at WalMart and how she died poor.
    Little did anyone know, she believed Sam Walton when he shook her hand and put money back into the company to help him grow by buying stock through payroll deduction. She left one local charity over $1million in WalMart stock…

Andy:

You are mistakenly thinking I took a position on Walmart. I have only taken the position that Len doesn’t like them which seems to be vindicated.

Joe

Linda Graves

Sam Walton’s heirs just can’t win.  I recently visited the new Crystal Bridges Museum in Bentonville, Arkansas. I loved it.  Alice Walton has brought world class art to small town America.  In addition to the hundreds of million she personally spent, the Walton Family Foundation has given $1.2 Billion to date and WalMart Corp. donated $20 Million to provide for free admission to everyone for 5 years.

For this effort, Alice Walton have been criticized for buying art away from it’s “rightful place”, running up the prices of major works, building an art museum in a small town instead of a big city where they are supposed to be located, not giving the money to employees of WalMart, and the list goes on and on.  Flyers were passed out at the Occupy rallies protesting spending the money on the museum.

It seems anything the Walton Family or WalMart does is not enough or on the wrong things.  Give me the Walton Family any day over George Soros.

Len Smith

Linda, I’m not rabid in my position regarding Walmart. In fact, it’s not Walmart per se that disappoints me. It’s the walmartization of America…the idea that the ability to buy cheap junk is more important than the ability of Americans to make a decent living making things.

Walmart imports a full 10% of China’s GDP. That means that fully 10% of all the goods China produces are imported by one company! That’s what makes them a convenient representative for what (im my humble opinion) is wrong with America.

I could go on, but it really wouldn’t change anybody’s mind or make a positive difference in your day. :^)

Hope you have a Merry Christmas, and a blessed New Year!

Linda Graves

I understand your position and I agree but who is to blame, Walmart or the American public.  How many of us shop at the big box stores that do the same thing.  WalMart is just the biggest.

Merry Christmas and Happy, health New Year

Len Smith

And that’s exactly why I haven’t set foot in a Walmart in years.  I’m not telling everyone else what to do, but I would rather pay more, buy American made products, and keep jobs here in America.

I also really don’t need a lot of low quality junk, so I try not to buy stuff I really don’t need.

Except for Vespa scooters, of course.

Norm Walters

I think I’ll chime in on this one. Walmart boasts that it brings jobs to towns that wouldn’t otherwise have any. The problem is that they are low paying jobs, so much so that the health insurance offered by them is not affordable to many of the employees.

How about all of the mom and pop stores they put out of business on their way to success. What is the ratio of minimum wage jobs created to entrepeneurs that have been put out of business? Is this really were we want to go?

So now that we are on the way to becoming a third world country by trying to compete with one (China) how’s that working?  Sure you can buy a big screen TV and other electronics and toys cheap, but you can’t eat them, nor do they make your cars go.

Lynn Anne said she was going to stop by Sam’s to stock up on holiday wine. We seem to drink our share or a bit more. I told her to go to the local guy running a wine shop down the street and she agreed.

Joe

Oh, and one other thing. Sam’s Club is the only place to revoke my credit card, ever. I misshuffled my bills, missed a payment, and they yanked the card.

Not to brag, but I’ve got a hell of a credit score. That doesn’t matter to Sam.

Joe

Tom M

“It’s the walmartization of America…the idea that the ability to buy cheap junk is more important than the ability of Americans to make a decent living making things. ”

Just like the big box stores have done with our industry. “Good enough” is the new “Good”.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.