Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Tom M
    Rueben,
    I suppose a good plug cutter used in a plunge router might work, but I was thinking just a straight bit with a clean and even bottom. Drop it the depth of the laminate and a little for glue. You should go through the old contact (or whatever glue is used) as the new glue won’t work well with it. Don’t use contact for the insert piece.

Chris,
    If you use the seam fill, try to take some wax paper, a thin layer of super glue (liquid – not gel) and let it harden under the wax paper, which should act as a release. It can place a harder shell over the soft seam fill.

Tom

If you have to mix the seamfill yourself just do it on a piece of scrap laminate of the same color. Very easy to get the color right.

A coffee cup turned over can easily hide screws poking up through a counter top. Yup, saw a contractor do that. I dropped the top off and the Plumber put the sink in without the top being secured. I went back the next day to fasten it down(people had already moved in). Contractor insisted on helping me and drove the wrong length screw through the top and panicked and grabbed one of the cups in the sink and covered it. No more help please.

Joe Corlett

Steve:

I have a variation of the coffee cup trick, substituting a 6″ diameter 10″ high candle.

I got a call from a doctor on a Zodiaq job I had recently completed in which he insisted that a candle had caused an etch in a Zodiaq top and splash. I returned to the job and moved a candle that was covering the etches. I removed a battery charger that was plugged in to the splash duplex recepticle and plugged it into the duplex with the etch. The etch lines on both aligned perfectly.

For my own knowledge, I did some shop tests and discovered that candle wax has no effect on Zodiaq, hot or cold. However, battery acid will etch Zodiaq and will tear up granite even more easily.

DuPont was nice enough to develop a repair and send out a tech and we got it to look acceptable. The doctor still insisted it was the fault of the candle, I didn’t argue. This was a household with three teenagers. Think about it. You’re a teenager, you’ve just overcharged a battery and etched mom and dad’s brand new $12,000.00 countertop and splash. What do you do? Slide a candle in front of it. Problem solved.

Joe

KCWOOD

Good thing they didn’t have the 14 bulb light fixture I ran into….

Chris Yaughn

Rueben,

Thanks for the heads up on FormFill. I got the tube in today and tested it on a piece of scrap. Dead on match,

Color matched “Wood Filler” for Laminate. Really nice the way it doesn’t adhere to the top layer.

Thanks again,

Chris

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.