Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Chris Yaughn

How would you guys go about fixing laminate that had (3) screw tips just breaking through the surface from the back side? The color is Wilsonart Fashion Grey and the application is the front of a service counter in a tire store.

Thanks for the help.

Chris

Tom M
    The bad news is, owing to the fact that it is a solid, medium brightness color, it will be awfully hard to get an inconspicuous seam. Especially after having been cleaned a few times.

The good news is it can be easy getting close to that. If you can secure a plunge router, that will be the easiest way to get a clean hole. Play with the deoth, let it take some time, and you’ll be rewarded later with a better fit.

Some times it’s possible to drill from the back, and then clamp down (if possible) to flatten the elephant out. You have to get right to the material, which can be risky. Fill in after with Tuff-carve, or something.

Did the screw gun jump and you countersunk to far?

If we can, we’ll use pan head screws, usually #8, sometimes #10. The head gives you a fighting chance when powering the screw.

Tom

Tom M
    Sorry, deoth should be depth. PIMF.

Tom

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Tom,

You should have an edit button. What is PIMF?

charles

Andy, he wanted to type “PIMP”. Pimp

Tom M
    Noobs.

Just kidding. PIMF = preview is my friend”.

I think I don’t use the edit button because (A) I’m lazy, and (B) Tradition.
    Or a challenge.

Tom

Joe Corlett

Sanity:

Back the screws out, make sure the top is solidly supported, dab some white glue over the nubs and whack ’em once with a smooth faced hammer.

Wipe off the glue and collect your check. They’ll have that laminate torn up in a tire store very quickly anyway.

Joe

Chris Yaughn

Tom,

The super on the job called me today and I just happened to be relativley close AND have 2 hours to kill until the floor guys on another job were finished. I am kinda buddies with this general so it was a pretty laid back call, he says the owner found some screws poking through the laminate on the face of the service counter. The super says that he did not see them but they have been circled in pencil by the owner.

I start racking my brain thinking “What in the Well did I screw from that direction into that??” Soooo, I run over to take a look so that the actual repair trip will bring all I need. Turns out the data & power feed were secured to the 1/4back + 1/2 filler/nailer with 1” screws.

Yee Hah!!!

Owner happens in while I am discovering this and says A) I didn’t expect to see you so soon and B) I had no idea “they” did that just see if you can fix it with some filler or something and send me the bill.

Soo, here I am.

thanks

Dani Homrich

Joe,

You took the words right out of my mouth, although I would add a little seam fill.

Dani

Chris Yaughn

Dani,

Those were my thoughts, this an extension of an existing store that has been “ridden hard and put up wet”

The local laminate shop didn’t have a dead match for seem fill on the shelf and I did not know if there was a wood filler type product that would work or If I should just look for a dead match caulk.

I don’t do much laminate, actually, compared to you guys I don’t much of any individual product.

Chris

Dani Homrich

Chris,

Take a dab of 903 seamfil and mix in 901 seamfil until you get a color match, it should be a perfect match for fashion gray.

dani

Chris Yaughn

Thanks Dani, that is what I was lookin for.

Tom, If I had to use the plunge router what would you use to cut the plug to fit. Please don’t say a plug cutter, if that is the answer I’ll just know and you don’t have to actually say it. I have used them w/ wood just never with Laminate.

Chris

Chris,

For your seam fill if you do not want to mix try this company. Formfill products website is http://www.formfillproducts.com. You can order from them or a laminate distributor might be able to. I have had pretty good luck with the colors matching straight from the tube. Double check this but the laminate formfill repair number should 4065.

I agree back screws out,cover with board smack with hammer then put in little repair fill. See if that works if not then need plan B,C or D. Either way no fun to fix this problem and have it look good.

Reuben

Tom M
    We sell Form Fill mostly to retail customers or wholesalers who don’t do this much. Do you guys like the way it ends up?

Tom

Tom as I told Chris I have had good luck with it most time have to catch light just right and know where the problem was to see it when done corect. However it sticks to the phenolic portion only to create areally good repair.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.