Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author

Whats up with that. I just typed a whole response and all that showed up was andys old message????

Anyway.. AXYZ makes the cam-wood machine. It is more machine than I need according to AXYZ but the company has it ready to ship and I feel they made me a pretty good deal on it.

Question.

I currently use the lt-55 templater. I template, upload to autocad, add overhangs etc. break drawing up and cut template on vinyl cutter. Will my system stay pretty much the same except going to cnc rather than vinyl cutter? Do I break the drawing up in cad or does nesting software do it for me?

Andy, The 3/8″ Onsrud part# if you will is?__________________

Tom M

Travis,

Unless there is a nesting program in the LT software (I don’t think so), then you will be breaking it in the CAD program.

It’s a snap (heh) to do. Make sure you note where the DW is if, like us, you won’t seam over a dishwasher. You probably have a’ snap to nearest on graphic’, or some such in your CAD. Start an orthagonal line there (front would be the best), stretch it across the other edge of the top, then give yourself a vector on the intersection. You now have repeatable vector points directly opposite each other, and can slice and splice from there. Use split entity, to separate, and snap that to the vertices. Make the line width zero (if you can) so there is little lost when reestablishing the edges at the seam.

Tom

Shane Barker

Travis,

If you have nesting software it will nest your individual cad drawings. You need to base your drawing size on the size of the material, in other words, if you are using a 30×144 sheet your drawings cannot be larger than that size, in addition to your settings as to how close to the edge your parts will nest. This means if you have a top larger than a sheet you will need to split it into sections and separate them into individual drawings. I will generally size my parts to 29” so the sheet can be trimmed on each side to get out any imperfections.

On my software every part needs to be a separate drawing, each section of the tops as well as the build up. Then you choose the drawings you want cut and it will nest them on whatever material you have chosen. If there is not enough room it will automatically go to the next sheet. By specifying a certain layer on the sink and cooktop cutouts it will nest parts in the cutout that will fit, like trivets or build up.

I have only used this nesting software so I am not sure how others work. I would be happy to talk with you on the phone if you want, if you’re like me you have a lot of questions and we could go through them much faster talking on the phone. Send me an email and we can work out a time to talk if you’re interested.

Shane

Tom M

Travis, do you think you want to preseam the sheets in such a way that you’re done seaming when your done routing?

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Travis,

I just ordered some Onsrud cutters and I am still waiting to get them. I will post the part numbers after I see which one works the best.

tom, Not sure what you mean about preseem exactly. Are you saying glue two sheets together so I am loading a solid 5×12 sheet? It is an interesting thought but I cannot see myself doing that on a regular basis. Do you do that?

Shane, Thanks for the help. Once my software and machine arive I will get with you. I currently have a plotter. It sounds like it is pretty muchy the same process. I realize that there will be more to it but I think I am going to pick it up pretty quick.

Tom M

…glue two sheets together so I am loading a solid 5×12 sheet? It is an interesting thought but I cannot see myself doing that on a regular basis. Do you do that?

Not exactly. We take the shape of the top, import it to CAD. Once you have the overall deck size and shape, we start the offsets for the build up. When we are done, we have a shape that is pre-nested for cutting and assembly. For instance, if you have a “L” shaped top, 123″ x 65″, with a 37″ wide peninsula, you might seam together a piece that totals 136″ x 74″, with a 44″ wide peninsula. Introduced to the machine this way, once routed, all build up joints are staggered, but absolutely consecutive on the sheet. The top is preseamed, and shaped in such a way that all you have to do is glue and finish the edge, mount the sink (if any) and load it up.

We do it this way because if a mistake is made in seaming the sheets, or nesting the build up, it almost always will be caught at that stage, where it is much easier to fix, and you have lost less time. Also, by preseaming the sheets, once the piece leaves the CNC, all that is left is assembly of build up and sink. It will be ready to go after that. Another advantage is you have fewer butt seams in the build up during assembly, as you have done a few in the nesting.

I can explain better by phone than here. If you want, call me before Wed. at (860) 528-5667. I will be on vacation after that.

Tom

I think once my machine gets here we will just have to do a conferance call with the entire fabnetwork team. Of course I will need to buy a truckload of material so you guys can teach me all these tricks.

Seriously though, my machine wont be here till weds or thurs hopfully and i go on vacation friday so I will not even get to mess with it till the following weak. Wow I really dont want to go on vacation now.. Oh well the wife wont let me out of it so I guess this will all be here when I get back.

Tom M

Hey, if you’re vacationing near Cape Canaveral, Fla., We can get together and let our wives get mad at us for bringing work on holiday.

Heck, I’m supposed to write three emails, and two articles, so what’s a bit more?

Or we can meet in Orlando and have Dave buy us dinner. Two another hours west will make Dave happier and we can meet Norm.

Tom

Headed to Mexico. I will be in Tuscon Arizona for a few days though. Dont suppose anyone wants to teach me how to do tile while I am there. LOL

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.