Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author

I just bought my CNC. Should deliver in a week or so. Cam-Wood NB512. Seems like a nice unit. Now the machine comes with a couple of router bits but what else do I need as far as router bits? Are they just a standard bit or are there special bits for CNC machines? Carbide or not?

Also this machine was already built and has a 5×5 benze drill head on it. Anyone know what I can use that for?

Training, What do they go over in training. AXYZ built the machine and it is there training. So what do I need to prep for?

Coved splashes.. Can I prep for coved splashes with the cnc.. if so how do I do it?

We have had our CNC for awhile and I still need to learn all this also, so I am going to be listening in on this one with you Travis.

Tom M

Shane, Andy, Jon, etc. – there are far better folks here than I to tell you about the bits.

What I can tell you is to write down, both in hard copy and digitally, the numbers they use to set up the machine.

The hard copy is for if the whole computer goes kablooey.

You should also get a quick start sheet giving you the commands for most operations. Go over all of them, even if you don’t think they matter much. You will find uses for this machine you had never thought of before. Let me know if they finally got the spelling right on the sheets.

Run a file or two that uses a few of the functions of the machine. Take care of whatever problems you will have when they are there.

Protection from static is a must. I can’t emphasize that enough.

Congratulations, Travis. It’s a big dollar step. but you will find it worth it.

Tom

Jon Olson

Congrats Travis. I wouldn’t worry about using the CNC for cove just yet. If I where you look into nesting. Make the CNC do the work. Not the fabricators. Find a local saw sharpening company that services other shops that have CNC’S they can help you figure out what works best for your CNC.

Are there any CAD schools near buy? Sometimes local collages offer two or three day classes that will help as well. Whatever you do don’t be content just to have the machine cut out blanks.

Jon, I would love to not worry about coving just yet but you know how it goes. Of course the first two jobs I will have lined up when set up is complete are both coved jobs. Darn the bad luck.

Jon Olson

Travis how consistent will your Z height be? Why not just rout the back with a rabbit bit? We run our CNC all day. Every top has a cove but we have never routed the cove portion on the CNC.So maybe I’ am just not understanding. NEST, Nest, Nest It’s where you’ll make the money.

Jon, Thats what I was asking. I have never owned a cnc so I wasnt even sure if I should prep with the cnc.

Thanks, Travis

Tom M

Travis,

You should route the cove after you have had some time to try it out on a dummy piece.

We prep the deck for the cove all the time in the CNC. Jon’s guys (and machines!) may be too busy to take the time, but in my case, it frees up time with a smaller work staff.

Do what’s right for you, but sooner or later you have to find out if it is worth it.

Tom

Ok so what router bits do I need to order. Of course I am excited to be able to cut blanks but also excited to do inlays.

What is a good source for router bits.

Ann Pirrone

Ahhhh testing…1 2 3 🙂

Gordon Shell

Fab Choice has some 2 day CAD courses that can give you the basics, I believe thay have other courses als but it might only be for the brands they sell, call them, I’m sure they can fill you in. I have only heard good things about their training.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Who makes the Cam-Wood? Just curious

For startes you can try Onsrud cutters. They have bits special for solid surface so it is a good place to start. We use a 3/8″ bit and can easily cut at 400ipm.

We cut our cove slot on the cnc and it saves a ton of time fabricating. The rabbett is cut at the same time the pieces are cut out of the sheets so it is done when it comes off the cnc. We do not reintroduce any top so after it is cut that is it.

gshell wrote

Fab Choice has some 2 day CAD courses that can give you the basics, I believe thay have other courses als but it might only be for the brands they sell, call them, I’m sure they can fill you in. I have only heard good things about their training.

The FabChoice AutoCAD class is 3 days long and is a great course. I attended the course and recommend it to any beginner. If you have a general knowledge of CAD the course with enhance that knowledge to make you faster and more productive. Another benefit to taking this course is that it is industry specific. I would recommend it to anyone. I believe they have or is in the process of developing an advanced course, not sure on that.

Just my thoughts.

Tom M

If the travel thing freaks you out, I’m sure there are local community colleges that offer CAD courses.

Andy wrote

Who makes the Cam-Wood? Just curious

For startes you can try Onsrud cutters. They have bits special for solid surface so it is a good place to start. We use a 3/8″ bit and can easily cut at 400ipm.

We cut our cove slot on the cnc and it saves a ton of time fabricating. The rabbett is cut at the same time the pieces are cut out of the sheets so it is done when it comes off the cnc. We do not reintroduce any top so after it is cut that is it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.