Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Eli Polite

i know this is a topic that has a lot of mixed responses but it is a topic that will constantly be on the table………….

i dont understand why there is so much resistance from all sides one supporting multi surface fabrication shops. the solid surface guys are all bout solid surface and the stone guys are all about the stone. more and more shops are adding on new products. in order to stay competitive its almost impossible not to branch out into other surfaces.

Karl Crooks

I agree, back in the day our shop Fabed and Installed both Cast Poly and Solid Surface products.

Now today we Repair and Restore Solid Surface, Quartz and Granite (Much to learn about Granite still)

In the end being able to work with other products has always helped.

Eli Polite

i know i talk a lot about granite in this forum but i have much more experience in the laminate and solid surface part of this industry. i have just embraced the other materials and have learned that by offering multiple choices to customers it sets me apart and makes me a one stop shop

Adam Nelson

I started in Cultured Marble years ago. That led into doing solid surfaces. Less than a year ago I got into granite and quartz. I personally don’t care what surfaces are being fabricated under my roof, as long as they are legal, safe, and most of all profitable, they are ok by me. I am with you eli on the fact that there is way too much animosity between just SS guys and just Granite guys. I think that the joke would be on them if they really understood all of the money that they were actually leaving on the table…

Oh well, I will keep selling multiple surfaces to all of the guys that want more than just one options!

Eli Polite

i see a lot of animosity from people because of surfacefab trying to support other materials and aspects of the industry. i support the idea of embracing other materials i just wish other people could understand the importance of reaching out to other parts of the counter top industry. its not just a solid surface and granite thing its every thing else in between as well. engineered stone, concrete, recycled glass, and other green products.

Lenny E

Hi all,
    Im not a fabricator, so please allow me to express my humble opinion on this.

Back in the day at ISSFA before the sale of the show I had this conversation with the ISSFA staff,and leadership that we had to decide if we were a product association, or a fabricator association. Finally 6 years later ISSFA has addressed this.

Don’t get me wrong, Im an old SS guy, I love SS, and you are correct granite and SS folks haven’t played well together in the past. In some instances I was part of that problem.

But thru the years that followed Ive had SS, laminate and granite in several hones. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. In a down economy multiple materials makes dollars and sense.

Some people want to specialize in 1 material and thats great, I admire that.

But fior others let me observe that CNCs don’t care if they cut Estone, Granite, or fly thru SS like butter, they only say ..FEED ME!

Just my few thoughts,
    Lenny

David Gerard

Eli,  would it be fair to say you see that the stone guys are more reluctant or prejudice than vice a  versa?      For me it’s partly expense,  after droppin lots of $ into a new shop for ss and woodworking  I couln’t justify the cost for  wet shop gear.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Eli, you hit the nail on the head.  As more and more shops adopt all materials, you will see a lot less of the BS.

I took a lot of cr@p for not being solid surface only “FabNet”.  Some staunch solid surface fabricators were pushing for a solid surface only organization.  As the new materials and eco friendly products hit the market, a lot less people complain.

Eli Polite

i would say its across the board i have worked with a few shops at this point on integrating different materials into there production. the granite guys are unfamiliar with the rules and warranty issues and tools required to start a shop. and the solid surface guys are worried about the cost of adding new materials. the big secret is its not expensive to get a stone shop started and for the stone guys it is probably harder too bring solid surface in. there is more to learn seam placement and high strength blocks build up and every thing else involved in building a solid surface top. but like every thing else with the rite guidance it can be done quickly and efficiently. i have always wanted to be more involved in the forward movement of this industry. now with the internet and forums i am able to share my knowledge with people in the industry and start to break down barriers. i say again if you want to know just ask

Karl Crooks

Posted By David G. on 20 Oct 2008 08:44 PM
    Eli,  would it be fair to say you see that the stone guys are more reluctant or prejudice than vice a  versa?      For me it’s partly expense,  after droppin lots of $ into a new shop for ss and woodworking  I couln’t justify the cost for  wet shop gear.

David Just sell and install the stones, let another shop Fab them for ya

Eli Polite

that was going to be my next post ill post more tomorrow im tired

Jon Olson
    I didn’t know there was so much division. Is there really?  Maybe 5 years ago.  I will say for some reason it seems easier for a SS shop to except Granite. Than a Granite shop to except SS into there line.

AS Karl said if your selling SS and don’t have the room or money to sell Granite find a shop that will work with you. That’s what we do here.

Posted By Jon Olson on 21 Oct 2008 06:15 AM

I didn’t know there was so much division. Is there really?  Maybe 5 years ago.  I will say for some reason it seems easier for a SS shop to except Granite. Than a Granite shop to except SS into there line.

Jon:

I must agree. There is no question that the granite guys have a superiority complex about granite compared to other surfaces. They are convinced that granite is the be-all and end-all of countertops and completely deny any shortcomings of the product.

If you need proof, visit stone websites and hear the contempt and disgust with which most regard other surfaces. They hold their noses to do estone and brag about how much Corian they’ve torn out.

Solid surface guys are just a cheaper bunch of whores. We’ll do anything (that’s a quality product) that makes us money unapologetically.

Joe

Jon Olson
    “accept”

I apologize for not checking my spelling
    Tom M

Jon, do you use speech to text software?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.