Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    KCWOOD

When i watch the news on all this I see something that is so sad, personal responsibility. I see all the cars washed and piled up, if you are in the mandatory evacuation zone, why are the cars still there? Now I hear less than 5% of all new englanders had flood insurance? what?  Banks won’t finance homes here without it, and around the gulf coast if you are less than about 25ft above sea level.
    Now, I see where the G’ment is thinking about giving every one a 30k fema grant, or even figuring out a way for everyone without flood insurance to get taken care of 100%… wow…   If a Cat 2 or higher Hurricane had come ashore, we could have been looking at thousands of lives lost.
    Is societies reliance on the government to keep us safe, actually putting us at greater risk of harm…

sad

KCWOOD

another thing, our entire tri-state got hit by a major ice storm a few years back. It wiped out electricity for hundreds of miles in all directions for at least 7 days, some areas 3 weeks. We never had gas shortages like we are seeing on the news. After a day or two, almost every gas station had a generator, banks wired up a few atm’s to generators, we all came together and made things work.
    The most common theme I am hearing why things aren’t happening there… Unions, they are preventing help from outsiders.

Lenny E

@ Chris..Spurious (one of my favorite words, along with plethora, conundrum, and Myriad)

Guys, I was reading where the NYC puzzies were complaining that power has been out for 8 days. Oh my!

During Ike power was out for weeks. I was kicking it my Aunts while trying to find a cool castle/fort in the US. When this thing hit, I boarded up the windows with plywood, and we sat it out. We were 90 miles from the sea so I thought that was OK.

I was looking thru a crack in the plywood, and saw the fence dance on off. From scientific observation, It was doing the ‘Mamba” .

Power out, but we had water, flashlights, guns and ammo and I told my Aunt so. I went to open the water bottles and my senile 70 something Aunt said..”save those for an emergency!”

I said “Auntie, I kinda think this qualifies as an emergency”. I had to laugh.

She asked “Why do you have that rifle out (AK 47)?”

My reply was “Looter deterrent”

I cooked in the yard for weeks using downed trees as fuel. We put the food on ice, I cooked the fridge food first followed by the freezer stuff. I stood in Fema lines for ice and MRE’s, later but even if they weren’t there I would have made it OK. 

Food was gone in the stores in a day! 

My Aunt told my Ma…..”I never knew Lenny could do these kind of things, he really saved us.”

My Ma blamed it on my Dad…a WWII vet. Ma said..”My husband had a great deal of  influence over my son while he was growing up. Taught a lot of bad things to him, like how to shoot guns and live off the land.”

I was never one to expect the government to take care of me and mine in an emergency. The government should be there only to prevent some foreign power from kicking our collective butts. And after Benghazi, it seems they can’t even do that in a competent fashion.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

To answer your question KC, yes, most rely on the government way too much.

KCWOOD

Lenny, well said. When they predicted the ice storm , i made sure i had full tanks of gas, propane, and food.  I was baking buscuits on the gas grill, stir frying on it, it was fun in a difficult kind of way.  The only thing I forgot was Crown Royal reserves. The second day, I had to drive to our friends house, through all the downed trees and powerlines. We got there, they were amazed we showed up.. When I told him we were after my BIG bottle of Crown royal I kept there, they were laughing.
    My house had trees on it, but we were safe, warm and had food, and then crown royal…
    When our water system ran out of water, I went around and told all my neighbors, I have 5 gal buckets,and  24k gals of water in my pool, so come and get it, you can still flush. I was the hero 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.