Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

I have a customer who wants to see the full sheet of Hi Macs Bergamo before she commits to the color.  Freight to bring it in and send it back and restocking if she doesn’t like it would run about $350.00.

Does anyone have a picture of a counter top done in this color?
    Johnny C 
    KCWOOD

Posted By John Christensen on 23 Jan 2012 07:33 PM
    I have a customer who wants to see the full sheet of Hi Macs Bergamo before she commits to the color.  Freight to bring it in and send it back and restocking if she doesn’t like it would run about $350.00.

Johnny C 

Sorry Johnny C.. that was the color of the job I ran the pattern front to back, a gazzilion seams,  and the customer would not allow any photos due to privacy issues.

It was ok… but for the price they could have bought Quartz and had a better and more durable surface.  It shows scratches alot. To bring out the depth, I used Danis perfect finish… but anything you would set on it would show a marred area. …just so you know.

Thanks Kelsey!!!

Steve Mehan

Johnny,
    David G posted a ficture on facebook of a shower he had done in LG Canossa which has the same pattern as Bergamo only canossa is more I quess sage color and bergamo is brown. I do have a 6″ x 12″ sample I could send you.
    I did a kitchen in the canossa over the summer and the one thing I didnt care for with the LG Marmo collection are the edges of the sheets, almost like the particles are being pulled in a direction. If you were to seam two pieces together in width you can easily tell where they are seamed.
    Steve

David Gerard

Steve, so true about the pattern at the seams. I’ll try to get some pics up. I was waiting to get all the components done first. Yes Johnny, take the pic off my FB or I can send you one.

Thanks, David.

I downloaded the photo and forwarded it to my dealer.
    Johnny C

Posted By John Christensen on 23 Jan 2012 07:33 PM

Johnny C 

Johnny:

I would use this situation to close the sale.

“Ms. Customer, you sign here and give me a check for 50%. I’ll get the all the material in. When you view it and approve, we proceed. If not, I refund your money. Does that sound fair?”

(Shut up until she speaks, no matter how uncomfortable the silence.)

No committment, no $350.00 bet. It won’t cost much more to ship the whole job anyway.

Joe

Joe, what do you mean no $350.00 bet.  It WILL cost me exactly $390.00 in currency if I bring in a half sheet so that she can see it in her house and she walks away.  That doesn’t include time spent hauling the piece into her bathroom and discussing its merits and helping her decide that she likes it.  Naturally if she likes it and moves forward I would apply the cost of the half sheet to her job but the extra freight will be added.

$390.00 covers the cost of the non returnable half sheet and the freight to get it to me.
    Johnny C

Posted By John Christensen on 30 Jan 2012 10:34 AM
    Joe, what do you mean no $350.00 bet.  It WILL cost me exactly $390.00 in currency if I bring in a half sheet so that she can see it in her house and she walks away.  That doesn’t include time spent hauling the piece into her bathroom and discussing its merits and helping her decide that she likes it.  Naturally if she likes it and moves forward I would apply the cost of the half sheet to her job but the extra freight will be added.

$390.00 covers the cost of the non returnable half sheet and the freight to get it to me.
    Johnny C

Johnny:

You’re betting $390.00 that you’ve qualified the customer enough and that she’s committed enough to make the risk of taking the bet a good business risk.

If she doesn’t like it you lose $390.00, however, if this is the beginning of a potential larger job or relationship, that may be a small price to pay.

If she likes it, you get the job and your business instincts are vindicated.

If you bring in a $390.00 sheet on the whim of a customer without a written committment and check, you’re a much bigger gambler that I. If you bring it in, she loves it, but then shops you to Bob’s Fabrication down the street, you’ll get no sympathy from me. She can do it if you don’t trade a committment for service.

Joe

Posted By Kowboy on 30 Jan 2012 10:43 AM

Posted By John Christensen on 30 Jan 2012 10:34 AM

Johnny C

Johnny:

You’re betting $390.00 that you’ve qualified the customer enough and that she’s committed enough to make the risk of taking the bet a good business risk.

If she doesn’t like it you lose $390.00, however, if this is the beginning of a potential larger job or relationship, that may be a small price to pay.

If she likes it, you get the job and your business instincts are vindicated.

If you bring in a $390.00 sheet on the whim of a customer without a written committment and check, you’re a much bigger gambler that I. If you bring it in, she loves it, but then shops you to Bob’s Fabrication down the street, you’ll get no sympathy from me. She can do it if you don’t trade a committment for service.

Joe

Joe, I would not be bringing in a $390.00 sheet on a whim.  It will be due up front before I order the material and non refundable.

I don’t need every job.
    Johnny C

Johnny:

I’m not implying that you need every job or are whimsical in your business efforts. I’m just trying to cover all the bases so a reader less experienced than yourself will turn a situation like this into a sales opportunity while simultaneously minimizing risk.

Joe

Received a non refundable deposit for 1/2 sheet and freight just so they can see the color in their house before committing to the complete order.  WOW.

Johnny C
    Andy Graves
    Keymaster

That is excellent. They must be pretty sure they like it just want to make sure.

Customer OK’d the color so I ordered the other full sheet.  I anticipated a possible dye lot difference, but I didn’t expect the overall characteristic to be different.  Luckily these sheets will not be seamed together but they will be side by side.  I hope it works out.

The top photo is of the half sheet that I brought in for approval.  The bottom photo is of the full sheet that I ordered after the half sheet was approved.
    The photos are equally proportioned and represent about a 28″ width.
    The top sheet will make a 55″ top and the bottom sheet will be a 92″ top with two bowls.  They are situated end to end. with a 4″ difference in height.
    Johnny C
    Tom M

Wow. A complete directional shift.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.