Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Wayne

Crazy question here… 

We have a customer preferring the backside of witch hazel Corian, for her kitchen tops, as the finished surface.  Has anyone done this?

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

…Wayne.

KCWOOD

as in… she likes the rough texture?

Wayne

Kelsey,
    No, as in the scrambled color. We’ll put a satin finish on it.

We’re worried about the pitting. Doing a 48″ sample right now.

Brian Stone

No, but I’ve had it go the other way around. Luckily it was on a vanity for my parents. After the install they questioned if I had done the right color. After a quick look at the samples I figured out that they were looking at the back side of the sample when they picked the color.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

We have used the backside of material as the finished top before, but not that color. I have had a customer ask about it because they saw a sample.

We basically explained that it would be on them if there were any pits. Couldn’t guarantee that it would be perfect. Just never know what your going to get.

If you ordered that material and then check the backside you should be fine. Gonna take a bit more sanding but the material will eventually finish the same as the top side.

Smart move making a sample. Be sure to stack the edge to see the difference. I bet it will be noticeable because the edge stack will look more like the top side than the aggressive bottom.

Post a picture of the sample if you can, love to see it.

Wayne

After sanding a 48″ X 25″ piece, we’ve found three pitts that are fairly deep, but possible to remove with more time. At this point a picture looks no different sanded vs. unsanded.

Andy, thanks for the heads-up on the edge, we’ll inform the customer. That’s the info I’m looking for!…anyone else?

…Wayne.

Norm Walters

You could double up a drop edge and reverse the front piece.

Bill Wolle

Wayne,
    Andy and Norm have it covered, you should be fine.

Sue Turner

I’ve done it with Dawn Beige and I think it was called Autumn Mist Corian because the veining was heaver on the back side.

Posted By Wayne on 03 Feb 2011 03:03 PM
    After sanding a 48″ X 25″ piece, we’ve found three pitts that are fairly deep, but possible to remove with more time. At this point a picture looks no different sanded vs. unsanded.

Andy, thanks for the heads-up on the edge, we’ll inform the customer. That’s the info I’m looking for!…anyone else?

…Wayne.

Wayne:

By “more time” do you mean more time spent sanding? I don’t like this whole idea to begin with, but you’d be much better off filling those pits and even enlarging them to get a better fill than to try to spot sand your way out of this.

Joe

Wayne

On the piece we’ve sanded, the pits are only in the brown areas and are and too shallow to fill, but are sandable.  With my luck, the sheets we receive will be a nightmare.  Norm great idea except one top is a 183″ X 68″ “L” shape with a “banjo” extention on the other end.  I’ll attempt some pics…

Wayne

I’m sorry for messing up this thread with these pics…
    The top pic is the sanded back side, the bottom 2 pics are the face (same pic..sorry).

Wayne

By “more time” do you mean more time spent sanding? I don’t like this whole idea to begin with, but you’d be much better off filling those pits and even enlarging them to get a better fill than to try to spot sand your way out of this.

Joe

Joe,
    What don’t you like about this whole idea other than the pitting. If they’re shallow, we’ll sand them out and if they’re deep…I guess we’ll return the sheets. I dunno, I think we’ll go for it after a lengthy conversation with the customer.

Jon Olson

Just did a top in burled beach.  Did not take longer to sand  No pits.  But If I did have pits I would fix them and send Corian the bill.  If they want to make the dance they need to pay for the dance

Posted By Jon Olson on 04 Feb 2011 09:38 AM

Just did a top in burled beach.  Did not take longer to sand  No pits.  But If I did have pits I would fix them and send Corian the bill.  If they want to make the dance they need to pay for the dance

Jon:

The back side does give an interesting look, doesn’t it?  I agree that if you are going to use the back side and it has pits, the best solution is to fill and then sand.  Simply spot sanding until the pits are gone will create spot depressions in the surface.

I don’t understand why you would send a bill back to DuPont for filling the pits.  they don’t recommend using the backside for the finished side anyway.  If you choose to do so, that is on you… just sayin.

Johnny C

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.