Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    David murphy

What do you guys use to fix your ss worktops to your base units.?

100% silicone, nothing else.

Screw thru the cabinets into the substrate…..if unable too……. silicone

Norm Walters

Just stick to using silicone alone, the problem with screws is that you will have to carry about 6 different length screws because of all of the different types of corner blocking from different cab manu’s. Just more room for error, for a less than perfect installer.

I also like the flexibility the silicone gives to the substrate, which in most cases is butted up to the SS buildup, even though it says not to in the manuals.

Hammer and 16cc sinkers. Just make sure to predrill through the top. Then you can get some of those little beautyrings to dress the head of the nail up.

🙂

Tom M

Some4thing tells me that Travis is in a good mood today.

Peter

He won’t be after he sees the pic of him as a Wal*Mart greeter I put on another thread.

The nice lady who always answers his phone gave me the pic.

Tom M

I gave you kudos in another thread, Fed.

The cruelty that lies watching, waiting in the back of your mind makes me want to take it back here.

……………………..

Just kidding – great slam, D.

rey rosario

YO…..word

KCWOOD

My wish for the day:

For the person that installed a postformed butcher block laminate top about 40 yrs ago, and put about 60 screws into the top, 40 that was very well hidden, plus placed a ridiculous amount of construction adhesive, on every inch of cabinet surface top and brace you could I hope you are in your grave laughing your ass off at me and my helper that spent 2hrs trying to remove this most absurd countertop installation I have ever witnessed.

The joke you played on me was priceless!!

If I knew where your grave was, I would pour a beer on your grave at least once a month, in honor of the joke you played on us. I would hope though, you would not care if the beer ran through my kidneys first!!!!

kc

Tom M

KC,
    Sucks. Really.
    Kind of like the layer of plywood screwed down, then a second layer of plywood screwed over that, then the tile.

When particle board came on the scene, you’d see fabricators (carpenters) nailing the substrate to the cabs with ring nails, or spiral nails. It’s like they were holding the house together with the countertop.

Artem

And yuse tuse problem with 60’s era fine trim carpenters is…??????

Kelsey,

You must be in FL, That’s the standard on just about any counter installed pre 1965. Makes for an interesting install day.

Norm Walters

Yeah Mike, but the late 80’s tops come off real easy, sometimes only 2 or three screws holding them. Of course that backsplash caulked to the wall can be a pain, Anyone have a trick or special tool to get laminate splashes off the wall without destroying the wall?

Norm, We have been using a seldge hammer lately. Seems to be working pretty well. LOL

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.