Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Wags

I agree. Last thing we need to do is put one product against another. I think I heard this before, but, all surface products are good, but not all are good for every application. Be honest, know when each surface is proper for the application at hand, and don’t knock another product. I was at an architech this morning. They were looking for Quartz and Ice stone. I was honest about both products, don’t use quartz in direct sunlight, yes Ice stone requires sealing, and we moved to laminate and solid surface. Talked about heat and why things crack, (all will under the right circumstances) and why one may be better for this application than another. I earned credibility, I may or may not get the spec this time, but I darn will next time they need the products I sell.
    In all honesty, I don’t have a favorite product, I use them all in my own house, laminate, SS, ES and stone.

So, I agree, a Countertop Fabricators association, where we can all agree that all products are good, but some are better for a given application, and price point.

Russ Lee

Okay, so let’s assume there is a consensus that the ideal association embraces all countertop materials and that the word “countertop” is included in its name. Two questions keep nagging at me:

1. What would be the purpose (the driving force) of this association?

2. Would people in the industry unite under a single banner and work to end all this divisiveness?

The driving force would be to pursue the advancement of proper knowledge of countertop materials to consumers, designers, architetcs and especially fabricators.To set up standards and requirements of its members to meet certain fabrication and accredidation standards. Yeah its a tuffy but you wanted to know the perfect situation would be, correct?

As for number two there well Uh I do not really think thats gonna happen very easily, but we can keep hoping for it.

Norm Walters

I’ve never understood why some stone fabricators don’t embrace E-Stone, especially when it fabricates with tools they already have. Sure there is a slight learning curve so you don’t burn the resin, but it sure seems like an easier transition than going from solid surface to E-Stone.

Just like laminators to SS, then Acrylic ss to Polyesters SS…then we had to learn the translucent SS…then the 3cm SS….why not change…one material would drive me nuts…..it make me want to yawn for three days thinking about one material…

I dont know if an Association for all materils is good either….its like the Armed forces we are all on the same side…but differnt applications is best for certain forces..much like what Wags said

you also got the football league but then they fight each other for other teams spirit of fans…..

I guess my opinion would be…do what you do and do it best.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster
    Posted By Gene McDonald on 08/08/2008 8:04 PM
    Just like laminators to SS, then Acrylic ss to Polyesters SS…then we had to learn the translucent SS…then the 3cm SS….why not change…one material would drive me nuts…..it make me want to yawn for three days thinking about one material…

I dont know if an Association for all materils is good either….its like the Armed forces we are all on the same side…but differnt applications is best for certain forces..much like what Wags said

you also got the football league but then they fight each other for other teams spirit of fans…..

I guess my opinion would be…do what you do and do it best.

The main problem with multiple associations is that for materials like quartz, wood, laminate, copper, concrete and other surfaces, there just aren’t enough people within the industry to support the infrastructure of an association.

Lenny E
    Posted By Norm Walters on 08/08/2008 7:28 PM
    I’ve never understood why some stone fabricators don’t embrace E-Stone, especially when it fabricates with tools they already have. Sure there is a slight learning curve so you don’t burn the resin, but it sure seems like an easier transition than going from solid surface to E-Stone

Hi Norm,

Let me try to answer that. E stone companies first tried to offer E stone to natural stone fabbers as the tooling is similar.

But thier paradigm was..We do castles and mansions…we dont know what this stuff is. We dont want to work with it.

So E stone bypassed alot of natural stone fabbers on its way to exponential growth.

Solid Surface cuts like butter on diamond tooled CNCs. If I had  one of those Id be throwing any job on it that paid the bills.

Its all about paradigms.

As or what an association should do or the need:

1.) I think an association for surface fabricators is good.
    2.) It should address education (both for fabrication and consumers), marketing to specifiers and the design community, as well as standing up for the rights of the members and products they fabricate. Another thing is to provide meaningful resources to the members. 

Its my feelings an International Organization with grass roots volunteers is needed. So far I havent seen that type of organization.

B Rgds,

Lenny

I would like to see one organization…but in realty it just seems impossible….I cant imagine MIA and ISSFA merging…im sure the heads might be easier to mix  but each if its members that is another story..

Im sure people would look funny at a group called the Laminators association..Of course I would be a member…Laminate might be the cheapest material out there but it requires skill..chip that you cant sand it out..Its like Laminators are the look down upon as a minority..hehehehe..I think its the best seller…I like to watch and experienced woodworker/stone fabber, SS fabber who never laminated a top before try to do itand then let a laminator try veneer, stone, SS..as opposed to no laminate experience…Laminating experience is the gateway key…

to me this sounds as frustrating and distant like we would be suggesting one Religion.. I wish we could it would be simpler than asking what type you are…however this is a thread that might inspire frendship amongst all us fabricators..

David Gerard

Gene, at this point before any sort of merger we’d need one hell of a marriage counselor.

no ya dont say..heheheheheh

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.