Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Russ Lee

Do we really need a trade association(s) in the countertop industry?

Having read through the MIA certification thread, I find
    myself asking the perennial question: “What is the purpose of a trade
    association?”

Some feel it is to educate and train, some to influence the design
    community, others to defend its members and products against all enemies, still
    others to market its members (and products) to the world.

Currently, I’m thinking a trade association should exist to
    educate and inform, provide ample opportunities to associate and learn from
    others in the industry, influence the design community and potential customers
    through limited marketing tools and conduct regular local meetings that promote
    education and cooperation among members.

I also think it should be inclusive to
    any business or individual wishing to improve his/her knowledge and abilities. IMO it is beyond the scope of most trade associations to be all things
    to all people. By the same token, no association can do everything on my wish list equally well.

I support ISSFA, MIA and NKBA, although I currently only
    belong to ISSFA and NAPP (National Association of Photoshop Professionals – a mostly
    online association that gives me access to more than a lifetime of resources and
    training materials and drives me crazy with continuous emails and direct mailings trying to sell me
    stuff).

The things an association shouldn’t be have been pretty well
    documented on this site in previous threads.

What is your ideal of an effective
    trade association?

David Gerard

What is your ideal of an effective trade association?

If the association was started to represent a specific material for those that sell it and fabricate , shouldn’t that association stick to the intended path?  If the assoc. needs to expand with the changing times then shouldn’t a vote be taken amongst  it’s members to include other materials, or not?  Then shouldn’t the name be changed to include and represent other materials?    Aside from training programs and marketing strategies I think the ideal assoc should be more out spoken to help combat material bashing.

If this Utopian assoc did exist maybe the some of the  current “documentations”  we have all observed would not be taking place.

Given some of the recent events in our little microcosm of tradesmen  such as   granite/radon, economic down turns and  soaring fuel prices   the counter industry in some ways has become divided  yet united, we all want to be on top.     Just my observation.  great question!

Gordon Doull

heh….heh.

All counter industry people want to be on top. I get it……

An association’s basic purpose should be to educate, illuminate, moderate, and negotiate for it’s members as only a large union of congregants can.

Better pricing, better training, better business.  Right?

Norm Walters

I agree with with Gordo, although an association shouldn’t subsidize it’s training with member dues. This results in veteran fabricators paying to train their competition.

The problem with associations is that when they become non profit’s, they are controlled by so many rules it make them ineffective. On the other hand a for profit assocation can’t lobby because it is unfair to the competition.  Andy and I were talking about is today, maybe he will chime in.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

The internet has made it very difficult for associations to survive.  Large, well established organizations can maintain strength because they have the resources in place.

Small organization can’t compete with the internet because they have no power to get more for its members.  Look at what you can do with an internet connection and a google search.  It takes money to compete with that.

The next five years we are going to see some exciting new products come to market.  In the past three years we have IceStone, Vetrazzo, Ecotop, Paperstone, Richlite, UrbanSlabs and many more.  None of them fit into MIA (MARBLE institute of America) or ISSFA (International SOLID SURFACE Fabricators Association).  If these associations stay true to their intended purpose, they will be left behind due to the nature of the product life cycle.  MIA would fair better, but they are excluding Quartz and now an increasingly popular Pre-Cast Concrete slabs.

I have been a proponent of for profit companies like, A to Z School of Rock and Concrete Countertop Institute.  They offer classes, information and resources when you need them at a set price.  Fred Hueston also offers fee based education and services.

I don’t think the association is dead, but most just don’t have the same power and impact they had 50 years ago.

My feeling is that paying dues to put out magazines and educate my competition is not what I have in mind as the objective of a quality association.

Russ Lee

Yeah, Gordon, countertop people like to be on top (there’s so much you can do with that statement).

David, your point about fabricators coming together in tough times rings true, yet it creates an interesting dichotomy when you consider Andy’s point about the Internet becoming the ultimate resource. On the one hand, I gain an enormous amount of INFORMATION on the Internet. On the other hand, I gain PERSPECTIVE and INSIGHT when I talk one-on-one or participate in a group discussion with other fabricators. Bulletin boards and webinars (if I can stay awake) educate and inform, but they rarely inspire and energize the way personal contact with other fabs can.

Andy and Norm, I see your point about using dues to educate the competition. This probably lies at the heart of whether or not there is a place for associations in today’s world. Do you float the whole boat by creating an environment of learning open to all comers in an atmosphere of guarded trust (traditional association model), or should potential competitors only have access to knowledge if they are prepared to pay for it (for-profit associations)?

Either way you pay something. Do you take the attitude that improving knowledge and fabrication techniques for everyone benefits the entire industry (float the whole boat)? Or is it smarter and more realistic to require newbies to earn their way into the fold (pay to play)?

I have always been a touch-feely association kind of guy. What I give up in the way of knowledge and experience comes back exponentially in what I gain from others. But, it seems the dynamic is changing. Fabricators are quick to say how much they benefit from coming together, yet they appear more reluctant to make the effort to actually show up.

Is it because there are so many options available today for education and fellowship electronically that the virtual community has become the defacto trade association?

If so, is that bad?

Is there a way to marry traditional associations with the less bulky, quicker-on-their-feet virtual communities?

As expected, ya’ll have got my head spinning.

Tom M

Russ,
    I don’t think good or bad is operative here. I think if you offer something truly exceptional and worthwhile, they will show up. If not, they won’t. Put the right ideas forward and get results. Stay the same and stay stagnant.

Russ Lee

Tom,
    I agree in principle, but the cynical side of me asks if traveling hassles and increased costs, a premium on time, the availability of comparable offerings online and the emergence of virtual communities trump the “right ideas”?

I think somewhere in the mix there is the element of trust and the hope for a better future that fuel the engine of trade associations.

Tom M

Russ,
    See Blair’s comment back in this thread (that started you off asking the question), as well as my follow-up. If the net can be correctly harvested by the association, it will be worthwhile.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster
    Posted By Russ Lee on 08/07/2008 9:03 AM
    Tom,
    I agree in principle, but the cynical side of me asks if traveling hassles and increased costs, a premium on time, the availability of comparable offerings online and the emergence of virtual communities trump the “right ideas”?

I think somewhere in the mix there is the element of trust and the hope for a better future that fuel the engine of trade associations.

The problem with comparing associations with internet is that the internet is perceived as a FREE medium.  Going to a Trade show in another state cost a minimum of $1000.  That is a huge difference.

Local associations and the really large ones will succeed.  Medium sized or international that are small won’t.  Local associations have the benefit of getting together at relatively low cost.  Maybe a couple hour investment during the day.  Larger associations have the benefit of mass appeal.  It becomes the place to be because there is a lot to see.  We don’t have that luxury in the countertop industry.

Russ Lee

Local
    associations and the really large ones will succeed.  Medium sized or
    international that are small won’t.  Local associations have the
    benefit of getting together at relatively low cost.  Maybe a couple
    hour investment during the day.  Larger associations have the benefit
    of mass appeal.  It becomes the place to be because there is a lot to
    see.  We don’t have that luxury in the countertop industry.

Makes sense, but I’m not sure I totally agree.

I used to follow a similar line of thought regarding countertop fabricators in general. I was convinced that only the really large fabs or the small custom shops had a chance to make a go of it in the 21st Century. It seemed the mid-sized shops would be hit with a perfect storm of rising costs, changing consumer preferences and a tough labor market. How could they ever afford to expand, maintain quality and compete?

As it is now playing out, it looks like the big guys are the ones biting the dust and I see many mid-size shops — if not thriving — surviving very well in these difficult economic times. I suppose what I am getting around to is, as David referred to earlier, a successful association has to be really focused and in touch with its customers/members. That appears to be the #1 key.

Size, I believe, plays a role, but it isn’t the make-or-break parameter.

Tom M

I think it wouold be better explained as those that make the best use of the available technology will be the ones that stick around. Although, as a medium sized fabricator, I know my bottom line is thinner than it was.

Jon Olson
    Russ your question is a good one . I guess first of all what do People think an association should do? The definition of a trade association is  A organization formed to provide services for it’s members, Promote education and professional standards and influences or act as a lobbyist for the befit of the trade it represents.

The use of the internet has hurt associations to a degree.  Lots of information can be gleamed from web-sites and forums such as this one.

If i was asked to start an association for Countertop companies. I would do the following

1-Create a name that designers, consumers and the trade to recognize as relative to what they are looking for. (For example I’am looking for countertop information so I type in countertops)

2-Work closing with manufactures ,trade shows, and other magazines to help make a strong industry.

3-Work as lobbyist for my members. attacking the design world, by visiting key designers and architects. sending articles that highlight my industry to various magazines and newspapers.

4-Work at being a leader by uniting all countertop surfaces to work as a team to help each other.

If that happen I bet we could have a very strong association for countertop people

Jons last point I think hit the nail closest to the head “COUNTERTOP PEOPLE” not just SS, Stone, or laminate etc. etc.. We should all be able to figure out how to use all the materials, understand them and choose to work withthose we like.

I have choosen to do Kitchen and Bath products, this includes countertops and not just one type. In the short 4 years I have been in this business I have quickly learned one has to keep them selves educated to provide qaulity service and build partnerships with others that make what you do stronger. Most countertop only shops are now working with multiple countertops so why should an association only cater to one countertop only, the industry has become about countertop people not just a countertop product. Promote the trade not the product. Isn’t that what NKBA does?

Tom M

Well, then – we’d better not call it the International (insert material of choice here) Association.

List of names to avoid (Joe will need to help out here):
    “Collective Resources Of Countertop Knowledge”
    “Passaic Research Institute (of) Countertop….” I won’t go there

The association should feature such consumer information programs as:
    “Consumer Outreach Resource Reflecting Every Counter Top” (just to keep it fair)

There could be satellite offices specializing in specific countertop materials, located in places like: Rocky Top Tennessee, Marblehead, Massachusettes, and Meganite, New Jersey(okay, I made that up).

Carry on,, oh great FabNetters…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.