Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 59 total)
  • Author

Finally, some backup has arrived.

Dang Gordon, where you been all day. I was gettin thrown to the wolves man.

Dennis, I can cut a vinyl template from my digital file in arround 5 minutes.

So I have 30 mins in template
    1 hour or so in acad cleaning it up
    5 minutes in cutting.

1:35 minutes complete template that is very very accurate.

I do agree with Tom, The software in the ipaq could be better and thats why I dont really complete drawings in the ipaq. I load them into acad to finish.

Tom, I have noticed that the rotate function will mess up if I dont have the laser pretty close to a 90 when I turn it on. They explain this in the training. Also if you must shoot a kitchen in move the tripod and do multiple shoots, make sure you turn it all off so it resets.

I must say, if I had to go back to doing wood templates.. I would get out of this business.

Also, you should prepare for this cad work if you get a digi board. So if we eliminate that, I am making a complete template in arround 35 mins.

Gordon Shell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4G3lnz1W70&feature=related

Here is the link to how to do an upper bar quickly on the LT-55 plus the estimating feature that is included. good led zepplin background music.

Gordon Shell

Travis,
    Sorry about that, just got in from training another satisfied customer in GA, he learned the system on the first kitchen we did, I let him do the second kitchen on his own, hopefully he will be posting about his new toy soon, I’ll let him identify himself.
    The next generation LT-55 with the full size tablet laptop is going to make everything else obsolete, I’m getting to see a test run of the new one tomorrow! we may have it with us in Vegas not sure yet.

The new screen will allow you to have a customer sign-off on the drawing right on the screen similar to when you sign the tablet to accept a UPS package, you will also be able to have the training videos loaded on to the tablet, if you get stumped in the field just fire up the video and watch how. Another great feature is the tablet will have a wireless aircard option, meaning, you will be fully connected to the internet on the road, you will be able to send your template back to the shop right from the customers location, download the dxf file for the customers sink directly from the mfgs site and add it to the drawing in front of the customer. The tablet also has a digital camera that will take stills or video, you could attach the pics or video to your drawings so that the guys back at the shop can visualize everything. This is just the tip of the iceburg when it comes to what this thing will be capable of!

Hey guys, I am thinking of buying a mustange. But I am gonna get the one with the v6 motor.

Kinda like someone who owns a cnc and still makes wood templates..

Just a little joke…

Gordon, I sure hope you have a demo at the show. That sounds really cool.

Where is this big screen going to sit? Are they coming up with a retrofit so it has a little stand to sit on?

Either way, I gotta have one….. get me on the list.

Everyone else….. yep I am sold on this machine… if I broke mine, lost mine or it got stollen I would hawk the kids to get another one.. thats how much I love it.

Gordon Shell

They plan on enlarging the existing stand and putting it in place of the pda, the case interior is also getting a redesign to acommodate the tablet.

We have an old timer that does our templating, been using cardboard for the 12 years he’s been here. I could not get him to switch over, so I offered him a challenge. This was in place of telling him or giving him the ultimate ultimatum. I could template a condo building faster than he could minus the time to digitize the cardboard templates. Same buildings, 10 units each 50 square foot kitchens, w/ raised bar tops, master bath and hall bath. Got to the job site about 10:30, I got all mine done with the laser went and had lunch around noon, then went back and finished up the his last 4 units. He has never touched cardboard since.

If you add up the savings on that project for us it would look like this. 45 minutes for hard template, 30-45 minutes to digitize times 80 units. Saved around 120 man hours at (15 per hour x 2.5 (burden)) = $4500 saved. about 1/3 the cost of the unit.

the time savings are huge. no comparison. if you use a CNC to cut with, digital is a no brainer.

John

OH sure John… speak up now after I have taken so the ultimate beating.

Oh by the way… did they fit? If so you must have gotten lucky and got an accurate machine also. 🙂

Tom M

Gordon,
    Just a note: You should not have copyrighted music on the vids. Not to mention the fact that it is more confusing to make out the subject for us hard of hearing guys.

Tom M

The guy is fast as heck, though.

Gordon Shell

Tom,
    Drew has to take the lawsuit hit if robert plant and Jimmy page decide to come down on him and yes Drew is super fast on his! I’m getting there now that I’m doing it full time, wait till you see the new software, your going to flip at how much faster, and easier it is, I’ll have a new unit with me when I come to New England.

Gordon Shell

Travis,
    We will have the new unit in Vegas, I just got to see it and run it today for the first time, all I can say is Holy friggin S**T, it is awsome!!!!!!!!!!! All the commands are listed on the side of the screen so instead of going to “edit”-fillet-sqaure….. you just click on the fillet button and fillet, click on the offset button, set your size and offset, you can grab the drawing and drag it around on the screen like you do in CAD, the zoom works like the PDA or you can use the + or – button and tap the screen to keep zooming in or out, it has bluetooth, wireless, a camera that takes still pics or video, 2 usb ports, sd card slots, mouse ports, printer ports, etc, etc, etc, too much to list here. Once you see this you will never go back to your PDA.
    Come see us at the show we will give you the full demo.
    See you in vegas!

Tom M

Thanks Gordon. Let me know when you’ll be around and I’ll try to schedule a templating. Hope you don’t mind if it is replacement rather than new, because that’s most of my turf.

Travis, you’re cracking me up on this thread. You been drinkin’?

Gordon Shell

Tom,
    New or remodel, it all templates the same to me, see you soon.
    Going to bed to rest up for Vegas.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 59 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.