Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Wayne

Our denatured alcohol costs are getting out of hand ($15/gal.) from our local paint store. Any ideas how to get this price down?

John Hooper

Wayno, unfortunately, Denatured alcohol & Acetone among many chemicals has risen with petroleum prices. We sell DNA in 1 gallon for $9.02. In 5 gallons, $38.63…55 Gal. $385.78 . We can’t just ship this UPS because of the hazard although we do ship 55’s via common carrier. Freight charge is around 50 bucks. All of our sales on this item are in the Florida market.

I would suggest you shop around in your area if there is a choice as 15 bucks for a gallon is a bit steep.Maybe you can get a better deal on a 5.

Dave

Wayne

Dave, thanks for the fast reply. 5 minutes ago I called my supplier to express my concern about the price. He said they don’t offer 5 gallons but he knocked our 1 gallon costs down to $10.90/ gallon. It’s amazing what happens when you just talk to your vendors![EMO]bigsmile.gif[/EMO]

Andrew

Wayno, if this store has 1 gallon cans available then the manufacture he uses certainly has 5 Gal. pails available. I understand that a paint store’s market is probably in gallon form but I’ll bet he can get you a 5 and save you money. Also, if you have any kind of board or laminate supplier in your neck of the woods, I’ll betcha they have them in 5’s.

Dave

BTW, what area are you in?

Wayne

Dave, what a great idea but I just checked with 4 of our solid surface suppliers and not one sells denatured alcohol (that would be too convenient wouldn’t it?). We buy from Sherwin Williams and we’re in Skokie, IL…a suburb 2 miles north of Chicago. Thank you for your ideas…Wayne.

Hi,

You guys should count yourselves lucky we are fabricators based in the UK it costs me £35 per gallon and I have to get a licence from the government just to buy it!

JesseS

Holy Cow! We now feel lucky. Used to sell a 5 gallon pail a year ago for around 25 bucks!

KCWOOD

I buy from a local farm supply, 8.99 / gal. Sherwin Williams has had it for 31.25/ 5 gal.

kc

Matt Kraft

Wayno,

Try a chemical supplier. We are a manufacturer, so we have relationships with a lot of them. One of the largest in the country in HQ’d right in your backyard. http://www.compositesone.com

Corporate is in Arlington Heights, warehouse is in Woodstock. Your sales rep is Rick Hess. Great guy. He may be able to sell you some other supplies also if you are interested.

We don’t actually buy this item from Comp One, but from another supplier that is local here for us. They are a bulk solvent company, so we pay per pound. 5 gallon pail is approx 33# and we are paying about $1.15 per pound. Or about $7.60 per gallon.

If you can get similar pricing, that should cut it in half. Good enough??

Matt

Sims-Lohman

Wayno:

I did some work at another fabricator’s shop. I asked where did he keep the alky? “Don’t use it, never have. I use laquer thinner.” he said.

Well, I thought he was nuts, but he hasn’t had a warranty call in twenty years. I fabbed all his jobs with thinner without failure or problem.

By the way, thinner isn’t poison, denatured is and it goes right through your skin.

Go figure,

Trebruchet

Shane Barker

I was always told that Lacquer Thinner will leave a residue that can cause failures at build up and seams but apparently that is not the case.

Shane

KCWOOD

Lacquer thinner is absorbed through your skin also, and the byproducts get stored into your liver in the fat cells. Acetone is much worse and can cause liver failure if too much skin contact is made over time. Lacquer thinner labels carry a use a respirator when using, because the fumes from it are toxic. You do not see that on alcohol, it is a natural compound.

Some lacquer thinner now is recycled, and does contain many foreign substances, and really is only recommend for clean up. A Dupont paint rep told me that one, always pay more for the one that says “not from recycled product”

I had a guy tell me once, they used to use windex to clean their seams years ago. Go figure.

I use a 50/50 alcohol-water mixture to clean my tops between grits. Do you use straight Lacquer thinner?

Lenny Elbon taught me the only best thing to clean joints with was denatured alcohol.

KC

KCWOOD

Shane, you are right, I remember Lenny saying something about that in the ITEC class at ISSFA , especially with the polyester product. I’m not sure exactly what he said, but I believe it can interfere with the mechanical bond. Maybe someone else that went through ITEC can post more if thet recall.

KC

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

In California, we are not allowed to use denatured alcohol to clean anything. We got a memo from Dupont one time explaining it, but I don’t remember the specifics.

KCWOOD

Andy, When you come to Ky to pick blackberries, I’ll send some alcohol home with you. Works great on chigger bites…. yikes!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.