Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Well I just bought a coving router, so it’s time to get started!! I’ve always installed the backsplashes square, so I’m looking forward to getting going. I have seen very few of them around here, so maybe that will help. I’m all ears for help getting started!!

David Gerard

“Advil” for your shoulders.

Steve , NY

Hey Brian, what brand of coving router did you get ?

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Spend some time setting up the router so it cuts perfectly tight to the deck and splash. This will save you loads of time on the sanding.

I bought a used Betterly from here on the board. Trying to get me hands on a partial sheet for a practice run tomorrow.

David Gerard

tailing what Andy said, keep those bits sharp. I personally like the prefab method and using a carbide scraper to clean up any ridges.
    I own a Betterly cove router and I will say it is very powerfull and gets the job done, I just think there is less clean up with the prefab method..just my 2 cents ( definitely get a scraper)

Steve , NY

Like Andy said, spend lots of time setting it up to get it to cut the way you want it to. It is better to have it cut just a little high than a little low because that makes a small trench along the back that must be sanded out. Also make sure your backsplash is glued on square to your deck. If it leans toward the deck it pushes the router away from the cove and leaves glue and cove that must all be sanded off, if it leans the other way it gouges into the splash.  We use a small piece of 1/4″ plywood cut square with a notch in the corner that we can set on the top and slide up against the splash to check for square while we are gluing the splash.         

We also have the Betterly cove router, works good but on our wish list is one that would make the cove before it’s glued on.
    Tom M

Some where in the photo section I have a picture of the jig we made for clamping up the splashes. We pre-route the cove, then use the Betterly to clean it up.

We also use the scraper that Steve and Susan at Monument sells. If they are reading, maybe they can post the page? If you can’t swing the expense, we also adapted a Porter Cable wrench for cove scraping. Works well, but you need to resharpen it often.

Thanks for all the replies. I’m going to look for one of the scapers.

Fab Man

This is what I made to hold my coved backsplash square and in place until the
    adhesive cured. Measure 4″ by 4″.

Originally I made them from scrap SS. But later I made them from HDPE and they
    were reuseable. Just a little hot melt held them in place and was easy clean up later to be used over and over again.

The scraper will sometimes cause a gouge when it graps the glue and pulls out a piece of material. 98% of cove we do we make off of the monument vgroover. After glue dries we just run the betterly cove router (no gougeing!)

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Mike,

Do you cove the inside corner or just miter it?

We offer it both ways and charge accordingly. Most opt for the Square.

Sahil India

what is the aprox price of a coving router preferably Betterly ?
    Is buying a 2nd is a good option ?
    Any1 in the forums is planning to sell one ?

Steve , NY

There is one currently in the “For sale ” section listed for $400, third article down.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.