Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Tom M

Dani,
    it’s good to hear you have work. You went through an economic slump that I am not sure I would have survived.

Posted By Dani Homrich on 21 May 2013 12:41 PM
    Lenny,

I had a ton of work with no time for anything else. I will post some photos later

Dani, glad to hear that you are making dust again.

Nocturn and other solid color sheets do not go through a wide belt sander step at the manufacturing end (at least that is my understanding).  Unless there are severe marks on the surface you could begin with 60 micron.  On all other products that have been wide belt sanded I would recommend starting with 120 grit.  The reason is, most of the manfacturers wide belt process leaves a chatter effect on the sheet that will show up in the customers home after some time (I have seen this time after time on service calls).   That is because the ridges of the chatter become scuffed before the valleys. This is caused by various houshold items being slid across the tops over time.  In my opinion 60 mic will do a good job of getting the top smooth but it is not aggresive enough to knock down the high ridges and get a flat surface. 

Johnny C 

KCWOOD

I can’t help but wonder how this Black SS job looks right now?

Looked like it was a food sevice job?  I have recently stayed in a few hotels that did black on their counters and or breakfast areas… the tops looked horrible, with all the dings and scratches.
    In my town my bank was insistant I install a black counter…. they have been sick ever since. We had to install glass at all the teller stations to protect the top…
    quartz would have been perfect.

With the price of quartz getting about the same as solid surface in the box stores, makes one wonder where the solid surface market is heading?

my, how things change over the years

Lenny E

Kelsey,

I happen to know fabbers who throw out all the black SS samples out of the box for the astute reasons you stated.

It scratches, it whitens when exposed to hot water. If you have a bizillionaire client who wants it on a desk that his lazy ass never writes on, go for it!

But for a family with bad kids (and all kids are born bad), it is verbotten. It will suck!

Just my opinion, please don’t stone the messenger.

BTW this messenger is flush with guns..so please don’t diss me too badly fellers or I may take it personally!

Kevin Cole

I don’t know if any of you saw the “upgraded’ Corian Nocturn they were showing at the DuPont booth at KBIS, but they were demonstrating scratch and scorch tests of it.

When it was scratched, the scratches were not white, but rather a dark gray and when scorched it was much less noticeable than the previous version of the same color. There were several theories as to how they are doing it, but of course they wouldn’t reveal that.

Anyway, the idea was that it would hold up much better to use and be easier to renew if it were damaged. Of course, the “upgraded” version isn’t on the market yet…

Kevin

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Nocturn is the worst color ever invented. It is not even solid surface as we know it. It’s like sanding rubber. Throw the samples in the trash and sell black quartz product. Customer will thank you later.

KCWOOD

Posted By Lenny E on 23 May 2013 10:26 AM
    Kelsey,

I happen to know fabbers who throw out all the black SS samples out of the box for the astute reasons you stated.

It scratches, it whitens when exposed to hot water. If you have a bizillionaire client who wants it on a desk that his lazy ass never writes on, go for it!

But for a family with bad kids (and all kids are born bad), it is verbotten. It will suck!

Just my opinion, please don’t stone the messenger.

BTW this messenger is flush with guns..so please don’t diss me too badly fellers or I may take it personally!

Lenny, If you recall, way back during the ITEC classes… Steve Bace told us to remove all the darks/blacks out of the boxes.
    I did, but you get that one stupid designer/architect on occasion…

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.