Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Just finished a Corian Nocturne job.  The customer wanted a satin finish, but as many of you know, Nocturne is almost impossible to get a nice even finish without polishing it.

Dani sent me the green, mesh, 6″ pad to use with the PF.  We first tried the PF after sanding with 400 grit.  I didn’t like the results so we sanded with 600 grit for the final finish followed with PF.

We were surprised how even the black looked without polishing.  I was especially fond of the way it finished the edges and radii.

After trying the green pad and getting a pretty nice finish, we tried using a white pad made for polishing. It actually worked better than the green pad on the Corian Nocturne. Not sure if I was using the right amount of water or PF for that matter.  We tried different methods until we achieved a nice look.

Here are some pictures of the process and final installation.

Dani Homrich

Andy

If you use the green pad from damp to dry and buff the top with the pad dry you will get a shiner finish. For a high semi gloss finish go from damp to dry with the Perfect Finish and the green pad.

Also using a sander with a large orbit (3/8″) will finish the top much faster. The larger orbit makes the Perfect Finish work harder on finishing the top, and don’t be afraid to push down on the sander when finishing. More weight the faster the finishing process because you are forcing the grit in the Perfect Finish down on the deck to finish faster.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

What electric sander has a 3/8″ orbit?

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Another question, when using the green pad, it tends to get wet and stay wet. Are you saying to keep just enough moisture to dry out the pad along with the counter?

If you use the green pad in between the the other sanding grits it cleans all the residue off the benchtop. We have one in every sanding case now and we use them in the shop all the time, they are a great invention.

KCWOOD

Posted By Andy Graves on 12 Jul 2010 01:22 PM
    Another question, when using the green pad, it tends to get wet and stay wet. Are you saying to keep just enough moisture to dry out the pad along with the counter?

Andy, yes… just keep going with the green pad, and then all of a sudden, it starts drying out and actually starts removing the PF from the top. Keep going until it is dry and the black just pops out at you.
    If you stop while the PF is wet, you have a mess to wipe off.

lilbit

just go a corian nocturne countertop it has the matte finish how do I bring out the black with a gloss finish

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Just sand to 600 grit sandpaper and then follow with green scotchbrite with perfect finish. It will look excellent.

Jon Olson

Here’s how I sand nocturne 

Festool 6 inch sander very important
    120 grinder mode
    180. Grinder mode
    240. Grinder mode
    240 random orbit mode 
    Green trizac.  Wet random
    Blue. Trizac wet random
    Orange trizac wet random
    Buffing pad 
    Ship it.
    By the way corian has a new nocturne coming out soon . Does not scratch white and is much easier to sand
    Innovation yes , 
    JasonCarr

I love my festool sander but the dani design kit doesn’t work for me once i get to the green pad the swirly as really bad….. I clean and wipe every step and i get massive pigtails. and At the end of the process I get shiny pigtails.. I use the festool at 120 and 240 then switch to the portacable sander that comes with the kit and use the 30 u pad and then switchto the festool platin /mirkaoam backed pads damp and go 500 ,1000, 2000, and 400 and that gives a nice gloss but its not mirror like. finesse it for anything more than that.+

I don’t know if my backer pad is busted I’m using all fresh pads and papers every time.. I tried the trizacs at first and they didn’t have a way to attach to the 125 or the 150 I had. I think it was called hook it 1 or something odd ball

JasonCarr

Dani if you have any imput email me or give me a call 757 647 8130

Dani Homrich

Posted By Jon Olson on 19 May 2013 06:07 PM

Here’s how I sand nocturne 

Festool 6 inch sander very important
    120 grinder mode
    180. Grinder mode
    240. Grinder mode
    240 random orbit mode 
    Green trizac.  Wet random
    Blue. Trizac wet random
    Orange trizac wet random
    Buffing pad 
    Ship it.
    By the way corian has a new nocturne coming out soon . Does not scratch white and is much easier to sand
    Innovation yes , 

My question is with a factory finish of 220g why do you grind at 120g, 180g, and 240g? 220g will sand out 220g scratches, but it is a ton of work to sand out 120g scratches, and if a fabricator doesn’t sand out all those 120g scratches the sheet turns into pigtail city. Just wondering.   It has been since the 1980’s when I needed 120g to sand out factory scratches.

Lenny E

Dani,

Thanks for joining us in the festivities. Nice to see you again (as always), you guru of finishing!

Dani Homrich

Lenny,

I had a ton of work with no time for anything else. I will post some photos later

Jon Olson

Hello dani ,good question. Most tops that have been fabricated have marks that require 120. Plus the base of a good sand job can only begin after you have established a surface clear of marks . It doesn’t take long once you get. Feel for it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.