Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Mark Mihalik

Hi guys! What is the deal with Corian distributors being a PITA with allowing new fabricators in their club?

My company does SS, stone, and (very little) laminate countertops. We call ourselves a “one stop shop for quality countertops.” I’m certified for or can fabricate Gibraltar, LG Hi-Macs, Formica SS, Meganite, Affinity, Diamond Surfaces, Hanex, and I think a few other SS products. I also do granite, wilsonart laminate, caesarstone, silestone CSI, Avanza, cambria, and other ES. I have taken some certification classes and my partner has taken several classes and the “corian certified fabricator” classes years ago when he worked for another shop (not near our shop).

I like doing the SS we are involved with now, but when a customer walks in wanting “corian” I want to be able to do it. Currently I convert them to other products with great success, but it’s time consuming and a PITA.

I’ve contacted Dupont and they seem nice, but they pass us on the their distributor. When I talk to the distributor, they treat us like aholes and don’t want to give us the time of day. I know of some certified fabriators near me, but they both sub out their tops to people like me. They do cabinets and don’t even do tops anymore. I do some of their tops.

I know the restrictions are to preserve quality and I’m all for it. I do quality work and already am certified with most other large brands of SS. Don’t they care that they are loosing business by me converting customers to other products?

How can one get their shop “Corian Certified ?”

Is there a back door way in, avenue to persue, or tips on dealing with the distributor, or direct class to take?

Thanks for reading my rant and thanks for any advice.

Norm Walters

Mark, all the major brands, including Corian accept the ISSFA Total Fabrication Training. That being said it seems that some distributors are more of a PIA than others, and if they are the ISSFA class will work. otherwise you need to move, lol.

Chris Yaughn

Markm,

What seemed to really help us out was talking to the Corian rep shortly after switching a 30 sheet commercial job from Corian to Avonite.

Chris

David Gerard

Corian wanted us to get on board not long ago after years of rejection. OK ,I said lets get that account going. But wait says the rep, you have to take our class. OK, I say ,sign me up for 2 slots. Well you don’t have an account with us, first you have to sell a comercial job says he. Uhh… not much comercial around here I say. ………….hmmmm…………..say, hows the fishing? Ever see a border collie chase their own tail? I think they have great colors,but there are so many other choices. Just my perspective

Norm Walters

David, I agree, but, it’s nice to be able to sell it, or not. When you have to say, I can’t, or don’t sell Corian, sometimes it raises eyebrows. Sometimes designers spec it, and they aren’t normally going to change the spec because of you.

Mark Mihalik

Exactly Norm!

I just want to be able to offer it. I don’t really care if I sell it. It helps get people in the door and feel comfortable.

I’ve thought about the ISSFA class, but if it doesnt get my shop auto certified I don’t see the point. I’ve taken a few of the other classes and research all I can. I don’t want to lie to them about how many jobs I convert (already being a lot), however, I could sell a lot of their product.

Norm Walters

Mark, my Corian rep didn’t even know about the fact that the ISSFA class was being accepted by Dupont. However, with a few calls back and forth between my rep and ISSFA it got straightened out. Wait till you see the CFI agreement, I can build a house without accepting that amount of liability.

Norm,

Have you had a sudden increase in visits from your local corian rep?

Norm Walters

Mike, I haven’t. But then again the only time I saw him was when I opened an account.

Norm,

That was pretty much the same for us. But we’ve had 4 visits in 6 weeks.We know thier sales are way down because of the builder market and that’s probabally the reason for the visits. But, my Avonite,Gibraltar,and Staron Reps have always put in the time visit on a regular basis. You can guess what we move the most of.

Norm Walters

Mike, I know Marty and Chris, Gibralter I haven’t been approached by, nor do I know who the distributor is.

Lenny E

Hi All,

First of all, Corian is great product hands down! But its tough dealing with the 800 lb gorilla. But the Gorilla has lost weight recently, and is now slightly more than a 500 lb gorilla. When market share dips well below 50% (as it will soon), things will change as to offerring Corian or not..

Meanwhile try my rental car policy. I never book Hertz unless in a pinch. I go for Avis, National etc. because numbers 2 and 3 try harder. Please remember there is always Avonite, LG, Staron, Formica, Wilsonart etc. etc. Im sure theyd be glad to hear from ya all.

Just my thoughts,

Lenny

Mark Mihalik

I do like the other products very much and most of them have great service reps. I just feel that if I get Corian, I’ll have the market wrapped up. I hate telling a customer “I can’t!” It drives me nuts!

Be the engine that could…

David Gerard

Markm & Norm, we would love to be able to offer Corian. Often customers come to me with their Corian samples and say this is what I want. Many folks here still refer to SS as Corian. I hate having to say that I’m not Corian fabber, but perhaps I can find somthing close. It usually works out but still if it’s a good product ,I want what they want. As I have said, I think they have some of the best colors and patterns. This distributor that sells corian also sells 4′ granite vanity tops with an under mount china sink. I see them shooting themselves in the foot. The vanity tops are 136.00 those customers don’t even look at solid surface after seeing the granite. Just seems strange coming from a ss distributor.

wont they at least sell it to youse guys , They just wont warranty it for you, If you use it commercially it wont matter to them.. I’m not sure if this is correct, but i been talking with others about this very subject how Corian thinks there S**T DOESN’T STINK. But if you at least can buy it for commercial uses thats cool and then maybe put your own warranty on it, If a top was to crack I am not calling the rep anyway to see if it is the material or my fault, so i’m not sure just asking because at A Builder show last month in Orlando our Corian distributor had a booth there and i simply replied to him why Corian is best and it came down to because he works there.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.