Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Jon Olson

Here’s a shot of a cabinet constructed out of Corian. Solid Surface is not flat. Tell the design world

Are the drawer slides made out of Corian??

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Did you guys make that at Sterling Surfaces?

Gordon Doull

That’s beautiful, Jon. I like the pulls on the front.

The drawers and backs are all solid surface, are they? That thing must weigh a ton!!

Jon Olson

Hello everyone. The cabinet is a wood frame covered in Corian. Gordon thanks and yes it’s heavy. We made three of these for a medical application. The designer is a lighting designer. The goal was to design a medical office that would put the patient at ease using special lighting. Solid surface has great lighting advantages as you all know.

I know this was still a commercial application. But why can’t we design something for the home? Keep telling your designers that there are other options. (grassroots)

I’ll bring some more photos to the show. Maybe by than I’ll have some installed Photos.

Jon,

I have a pretty good idea about your comment on lighting but not positive. Explain. Is it mainly due to it not reflecting light and being softer looking?

John

Jon Olson

Hello John. The designer calls it ambient lighting. This type of design works well with SS. If you saw the room everything was white. When the lighting is on it enables the room to change colors you might say.

SS was used also for its sanitary assets.

jon,

Lenny had some ss a while back that changed color with temp. That would make for a cool room. I understand what you are saying though and never thought about it like that. Did they get you to make a ss faucet to go with the sink?

John

Jon Olson

No faucet but funny you say that. I guess they purchased some really expensive faucet from Europe.

Jon Olson

Now this is a Corian cabinet

I think I would just about volunteer some personal time to work on a project like that. Jon, do you think that the fab company that did that had a 5 axis CNC or used just an oven?

Jon Olson

Not sure what type of CNC they have. But yes an oven. I was wondering if the Fabricator was Martian Funk. I think I’ll e-mail him to get the scoop.

Jon,

I saw a show the other night and they were using a 5 axis CNC. I need one! Looks like fun. I just think it would be easier to bend a pc that is mostly finished than try to cut on a 5 axis then sand til you cant sand no more.

Jon Olson

John you’ll need around $350,000 for a good one. Maybe Dave can lend you some money from all those sandpaper sales.

Joe Corlett

Jon wrote

John you’ll need around $350,000 for a good one. Maybe Dave can lend you some money from all those sandpaper sales.

Jon:

Without question, the funniest thing you’ve ever posted, bar none. When you quiet types finally unleash, it’s usually a really good one.

Thanks,

Joe

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.