Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Lane Mangum

Thanks for the welcome guys! Joe, thanks for letting me use your photos.

Dave, your sealing question: The answer is “it depends”. Almost every question about concrete countertops depends on the sealer: “Will it stain?”, “Will it scratch?”, “Can I put hot pots on it?”. Some “sealers” provide little stain protection and need to be reapplied frequently, others are virtually bullet-proof and require no maintenance. The Concrete Countertop Institute recommends the use of a coating sealer that stands up to staining agents and acids, but others in the industry choose penetrating sealers that they feel optimize the natural look of the concrete.

There is an extensive article about the various types of concrete sealers and their properties at http://www.concretecountertopinstitute.com/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=52. There is also information for consumers about how to evaluate a concrete countertop maker at http://www.concretecountertopinstitute.com/modules/info/how_to_evaluate_a_contractor.html.

I hope this helps.

Lane

Posted By David G. on 19 Dec 2009 12:12 PM 
       Sales skills?  Im as smooth as silk   and thats why Im putting in another  7 day week 

David:

I have no doubt about your sales skills, but you need help with your rates if you’re working seven days a week.

Raise ’em.

You’ll then work five days a week and still be paid for the other two you’re working now, and your wife and kids will thank me.

Joe

Posted By Lane Mangum of The Concrete Countertop Institute on 21 Dec 2009 08:36 AM
    The Concrete Countertop Institute recommends the use of a coating sealer that stands up to staining agents and acids, but others in the industry choose penetrating sealers that they feel optimize the natural look of the concrete. 

Lane

Lane:

I do much more repair work than fabrication these days, so naturally repairabliity is very high on my list of factors when evaluating countertops. It seems to me the coating sealers may prevent more stains, but when they fail they would be much harder to repair than a penetrating type sealer.

Joe

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Lane, welcome to the FabNet forum.

Norm Walters

Posted By Kowboy on 21 Dec 2009 10:45 AM

Posted By David G. on 19 Dec 2009 12:12 PM 
       Sales skills?  Im as smooth as silk   and thats why Im putting in another  7 day week 

David:

I have no doubt about your sales skills, but you need help with your rates if you’re working seven days a week.

Raise ’em.

You’ll then work five days a week and still be paid for the other two you’re working now, and your wife and kids will thank me.

Joe

Arrogant

Wags

Joe as professional counter top folks, I think part of out job is to educate consumers. I never wanted to “talk someone into something” because of my own preferences. I educate them as to the pros and cons of any particular material, and let them choose what is best for them. But, I also believe that all countertop products are good, for the right application. Just as you would never “sell” someone that a polyester product is right for an outdoor application, or solid surface for a BBQ area (heat and BBQ don’t mix well), I would never try to talk someone wanting stone into solid surface.
    Educate and you will get your fair share, push someone into a particular product and I think your asking for problems, and, not doing your professional responsibility.

Tom M

I think that Wags and Joe are talking about different parts of the sale. Wags is talking about honest information designed to help the customer make an intelligent choice in materials, while Joe is talking about imparting information that sells himself over the competition. In my opinion both are important parts of the sale.

There, fixed. Merry Christmas!

David Gerard

I had mentioned a bit ago I would be addressing what to do with some concrete tops.  These were made about 8 yrs ago.  The owner has learned to  care for them with  cleaning and period re sealing…but.   I recommended that she have the man(friend) who made them  recondition them.  Nothing doing!
    Bottom line is she says they are too much work.   The man who made them attended the Chang and Buddy Rodes  classes and I have seen them being made so I know they are  made properly.   In this case, concrete tops are not for her.    The substrate was screwed down from the top side so I haven’t  deceided how im to get them off with out a huge mess or hurting the cabinets.

David Gerard

inside edge severely worn and ragged,  cracked and bad stains.    Not here to bash concrete, this man does some cool stuff with ground polished concrete and shells inlays along with fiber optic lighting,  as I said last post,   just  not for this customer.

Lane Mangum

These days (it was very different 8 years ago), there are sealers that don’t stain and don’t degrade and don’t require any maintenance beyond cleaning. This is not just a case of whether the client is right for concrete. Modern concrete countertops should not behave this way. Please do not think that this is representative of concrete countertops!!!

David Gerard

Please do not think that this is representative of concrete countertops!!!

Lane,   no worries,  Im here to learn.

David:

As bad as that is, it is georgous compared to Shirestone, a product I saw at one of the trade shows. Shirestone claims to be solid surface and not concrete, however. Shirestone dealers and some customers are flipping out.

Joe

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.