Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author

This is the before picture of a concrete top with some sort of ring etch through the expoy type finish.

This is as good as I could get it to lookwith CA and a razorblade.

Here’s a nice chip. I dremelled it out a bit with a diamond bit and hit it with the light kit and some CA over the abrasions in the epoxy.

Nuthin’ to brag about, but what do you expect without removing the topcoat?

I did another chip repair also. There was funk at the faucet, but I didn’t touch it. I didn’t bother the cracks at the sink either.

Joe

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Could you have put some epoxy over the top of the stain and the CA? The chip repair looks much better.

Brian Stone

That stuff looks like a nightmare to fix.

Posted By Brian_Stone on 01 Oct 2009 07:57 AM
    That stuff looks like a nightmare to fix.

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!

Andy:

I suppose one could try to feather in some epoxy for the ring repair, but how much time can you spend and still have a cost effective repair? I spent two hours at this place to get two chips and one ring repaired at this level of quality.

I got paid, but if they want any better, I’m grinding that crap off and refinishing with exposed aggregate and some sealer. That’s gonna cost some money.

Joe

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

I think any type of applied finish that sits on the surface is going to be hard to repair. I suppose if you are the only one doing it, there could be good money in it.

Posted By Andy on 06 Oct 2009 02:10 PM
    I think any type of applied finish that sits on the surface is going to be hard to repair. I suppose if you are the only one doing it, there could be good money in it.

Andy:

You are correct. If the scratches in this top would have been solid surface or even granite or estone, they could have been removed. If you abrade epoxy, you have more abraded epoxy.

Joe

Wags

Tell me why, anyone that acutally uses their kitchen, would want some of the countertop choices that are used? If you don’t cook and want it only for show great.. do whatever. But, if your going to cook and use it.. geesh…get real. Good Repair on an impossible project Joe.

David Gerard

I should be on the concrete replacment job soon,  the staining do to sealer failier is hidious.  Pics comming

Thanks, Wags. I bid to strip, reprofile and reseal this top as well as cover it with solid surface. That was a few months ago and I haven’t heard anything back.

Joe

Lane Mangum

Sadly, this is a common occurance. It doesn’t have to be. There are good-looking, stain-proof sealers for concrete countertops.

This sealer was either inappropriate to begin with or not applied correctly. The orange peel appearance of that sealer is unacceptable. I also notice pinholes in the concrete (there’s one to the left of the chip closeup) – completely unacceptable. The concrete also should not have cracked around the sink.

This type of thing gives concrete a bad reputation that is undeserved. Whoever made it should be getting the blame, not the concrete itself.

Kowboy, would you be willing to let me put those photos on my website in the Hall of Shame gallery (the before photos)? I will not identify where they came from. The purpose of the Hall of Shame is to educate consumers and designers about what is and isn’t acceptable for concrete countertops and prevent them from buying inferior concrete countertops.

Karl Crooks

Posted By Lane Mangum of The Concrete Countertop Institute on 18 Dec 2009 01:29 PM
    Sadly, this is a common occurance. It doesn’t have to be. There are good-looking, stain-proof sealers for concrete countertops. ……..

Kowboy, would you be willing to let me put those photos on my website in the Hall of Shame gallery (the before photos)? I will not identify where they came from. The purpose of the Hall of Shame is to educate consumers and designers about what is and isn’t acceptable for concrete countertops and prevent them from buying inferior concrete countertops.

We are seeing more and more (many much worse) of this kind of thing so far we have not done much about them (oher than document the issues) as we are still learning about concrete repairs.

Posted By Lane Mangum of The Concrete Countertop Institute on 18 Dec 2009 01:29 PM
    Sadly, this is a common occurance. It doesn’t have to be. There are good-looking, stain-proof sealers for concrete countertops.

This sealer was either inappropriate to begin with or not applied correctly. The orange peel appearance of that sealer is unacceptable. I also notice pinholes in the concrete (there’s one to the left of the chip closeup) – completely unacceptable. The concrete also should not have cracked around the sink.

This type of thing gives concrete a bad reputation that is undeserved. Whoever made it should be getting the blame, not the concrete itself.

Lane:

First, welcome to the fabnet. Second, you can use any of my posted pictures you please. We need to do everything we can to raise the standards for all countertop surfaces.

Joe

David Gerard

Hi Lane,  welcome.  I  for one would be interested in hearing more from the concrete industry here at the Fabnet.   When I speak with new customers I am often asked if I do concrete.   I am one who doesn’t like to sway a customer but instead point them to places of info so they can make up their own mind,  or at least be able to answer simple questions for them.   Periodic sealing is one such topic.   What do you recommend and how often?    Thanks,  Dave G

Posted By David G. on 18 Dec 2009 10:57 PM 
      I am one who doesn’t like to sway a customer but instead point them to places of info so they can make up their own mind,  or at least be able to answer simple questions for them.  

David:

A bit off topic here, but I have to address this. I make no apologies for my blatent attempts to sway customers to do business with me. Customers need all the help they can get and if I can’t persuade them that my products and services are the best availiable, then I haven’t done my job and don’t deserve their business.

I did a warranty assessment for a manufacturer two months ago. I followed up with the customer yesterday, found out their claim was disallowed and booked the work. Are these customers grateful I “bugged” them? Yep. Will they be even more glad I called when the repair is made and they’ve paid me? Yes again.

When you don’t attempt to “sway” customers, you are cheating them. Learn and practice sales skills, especially closing, and use them aggressively and unapologetically. Your customers deserve no less.

Joe

David Gerard

Kowboy,  while I agree with you ,  I live in a  very small town and I am very good friends with the 2 gents who do concrete tops, I am very careful about being acused of slamming them .     I sure do have an opinion about other materials but in the end if I provide a place for customers to get info I have done them a service and they will love my offerings that much more when they choose me.    I let them ask me questions and since they did I will answer them and truthfully.   Sales skills?  Im as smooth as silk   and thats why Im putting in another  7 day week 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.