Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

Ok I use a 1/4″ 1 flute up sprl. As you all know I just got my cnc. I have been running 2 passed on ss. 1st pass at .375 and 300ipm. 2nd pass thru and 200 ipm with a -.005 compensation. Does this sound right or am I being to carefull. I do cut all of my edge build up so I am a little concerned about movement.

Matt Kraft

Travis,

We cut every single piece (build up and splash) with a Belin 1/4″ O-Flute @ 275 in a single pass.

You may be being too careful, depends on if speed is a big deal in production. I don’t get too concerned about it, because we could never keep with that machine if it was cutting sheets 8 hours a day.

Depending on the condition of our spoilboard, we don’t have pieces moving around much. It sometimes leaves a small tick where the router cut finishes, but I try to put them on the outside of the radius corners, and the assembly guys leave them on the outside, so they just get cut off in the trim process.

Matt, I get the same tick on the ends of my edge buildup but we do the same thing. How close do you cut your edge buildup. I have been leaving mine long and just triming it to fit but am considering getting it closer to eliminate that trim. Then we leave our edge a little proud, glue up and then flush cut with the deck. Is this how you do it?

My main concern with a single pass was movement. I just figured with a second pass cutting only 3/16 i would be safe. Also I use toolpath and what I dont like is that it cuts a peace and then drops and cuts it again. I would rather it do the hole sheet then go back for the second pass. I think then I could really crank up the speed on the second pass.

Chris vt

Travis I think you could cheat around the sequence of the cuts if you copeid all shapes to another group and applied a depth to one group and thru cut to second group then sequence by the groups.

Matt Kraft

Travis

In your toolpathing, change the start and stop point.

I start all the cuts on the inside edge long edge about 90% of the way down the cut going forward, so in essence the router plunges in, runs 10% of the inside long edge, cut the short end (1″ in our shop), runs the length of the outside long edge, returns in 1″, then finishes cut back to start point.

What this does is allows the rest of the sheet to help hold down the piece while its cutting, and moves your little tick inside the piece do it doesn’t affect fitment with the pieces butting together.

Give it a try and feel free to ask me questions. I can try and send a screen cap of my toolpath layout or something if need be.

Matt

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

I use”

• 3/8″ upcut spiral triple flute
    • Clockwise on both inside and outside geometries
    • 350 ipm
    • plunge at 100ipm
    • Single pass
    • Start on inside on piece (2″ from end) and cut clockwise around the end on outside and it finishes the cut on the inside of piece so that the bulk of the material holds the material

I don’t want to sound negative but cutting twice has proved to me to be a big time waster and doesn’t increase quality or hold down at all. Try it both way and decide for yourself. The only time I cut twice is when I am cutting extremely small pieces and I need a complete cut all around the perimeter.

Matt Kraft

Andy wrote

I don’t want to sound negative but cutting twice has proved to me to be a big time waster and doesn’t increase quality or hold down at all. Try it both way and decide for yourself. The only time I cut twice is when I am cutting extremely small pieces and I need a complete cut all around the perimeter.

Andy, don’t lie….

You also use the double cut when there are very intricate pieces and you know you would make sure they don’t move, but you don’t trust some of the other operators to do so when you aren’t going to be around.

That is the real answer. (I do likewise)

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Matt,

I did leave that part out…on purpose . I am so careful when others are going to be pushing the buttons. The CNC is why I don’t get very long vacations. I feel like I bought a $90,000 anchor. I still like it though.

Matt Kraft

Andy wrote

Matt,

I did leave that part out…on purpose . I am so careful when others are going to be pushing the buttons. The CNC is why I don’t get very long vacations. I feel like I bought a $90,000 anchor. I still like it though.

Ditto.

Nothing like the feeling of having to get three full days of production programmed before leaving for three days, huh?

I haven’t had a full week of vacation in 3 years.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

I made a video of my CNC computer program today so I could show you what I tried to explain in a previous post. It shows you how we nest and cut parts to make sure they stay stuck down until they are finished. Hopefully this helps.

Note the start points and the order the parts are cut. WATCH VIDEO NOW

The video is also in the “Gallery” for future viewing.

Andy, Any reason you choose a 3/8 bit? Triple flute? Why not a 1/4″ bit single or double flute?

Cut a 2 sheet job on cnc.. 12 minutes for all parts(per sheet). Got this job done in one day(1 guy). Wow I was so amazed on how much faster this makes things. We would have had 2-3 hours in just cutting up all the parts and laying it out if done by hand not to mention the quality of the cuts and the inside corners are now a breeze.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Travis H wrote

Andy, Any reason you choose a 3/8 bit? Triple flute? Why not a 1/4″ bit single or double flute?

I do use a 1/4″ bit when needed but usually the 3/8″ bit. If cuts at 350ipm, super smooth, and the bit doesn’t break in the middle of a job. You are only loosing another 1/8″ so it is not a signifigant amount of material.

We used to use 1/4″ all the time, but nothing drive me more crazy than to have a bit break in the middle of a job, switch the bit, try to find the exact location to restart.

The triple flute bit cuts almost a mirror finish at 250 ipm. Makes perfect seam almost every time even at 350 ipm.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Update on this bit I purchased from Pinske. It is a 1/4″ bit with these little notches in the side of the flutes. I can cut 800 ipm at 22000 RPM.

The reason I bought the bit was because I saw Tom at the KBIS show and while looking at his tools, I noticed this bit. He claimed it would do 1000 ipm at 24000rpm. I didn’t get those results, but darn close.

Now it doesn’t make a mirror finish but it actually cuts a seam real nice. If you feel the edge, it feels rough, but when you put the two sides of a seam together, it’s nice. Not sort of nice, invisible quality.

There are expensive at about $68.00 for one, but they last a long time. We have used it for about 4 weeks and still cutting good. I slowed the speed down to 700 ipm but still fast.

Jon Olson
    Andy that’s not a router bit. This is a Router bit.

Paul Bingham

jon, What’s the bit for? It looks expensive.

Paul

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.