Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author

Posted By Wags on 30 Mar 2011 11:48 PM
    Actually Joe, China last year over took the US in Manufacturing. Going from memory they mfg like 19.8% and the US was like 19.3%. As far as being a birther…i’m not, I want to believe he was born in Ha. I just find it interesting, that if he does have a BC, he could easily put an end to all this, by showing it. Why would an intelligent person like him, spend over $2 milliion so he DIDN”T have to show it? Also, why has no hospital come forward saying were the birthplace of the president? No Dr or family of a Dr has come forward to say they delivered him? And, why can’t the Democratic governor of Ha, who looked for it say, he knows there is one but they can’t find it? I just find it all interesting, much like GM telling us the Volt is an electric car, when, if you drive at highway speeds the gas engine comes on? I don’t know if it’s all a scam, but it raises questions that he could easily put to rest. And why has he never released any information about his college days? And why has no one that was in his same year, same area of study say, they never saw or heard about him?
    Guess I just like to ask questions, and when someone dances it makes ya think… why? If you remember it was the Clinton camp that first brought the birth certificate up.

Wags:

How about a little context? What are we manufacturing and what are the Chinese manufacturing?

You say you’re not a birther, then go on to ask six “birther” questions? A source for this “two million” please?

Joe

Lenny E

Hi Bill,

Even though Inflation is high in China, I would say for solid surface, rising energy costs contribute the most to solid surface prices (regardless of where its made). The resin portion (be it acrylic or polyester) is petroleum based.

Now there are polyesters that are bio based (corn oil derivatives etc.), but only partially so. So rising petroleum prices have and will continue to result in increased solid surface pricing in China and anywhere else its made.

KCWOOD

Lenny, what’s your guess then, as to why we have seen a dramatic decrease in price over the past 3 yrs, while oil has gone up??

Lenny E

Hi Kelsey,

That’s a good question/Observation. I don’t want to get into pricing specifics, but when you know the price the material is manufactured at and offered for sale by OEMs and you see what it is offered for in the US, the price differences in the past were pretty healthy in size to say the least.

For some of those companys, that price difference has come way down. I would venture to guess that you are seeing the effect of market conditions and competition.

However IMHO the entities making up the supply chain are about as lean as they are going to get. Long term as oil increases (and I think it will increase long term) SS price will go up.

Tom M

I just saw a chart in an email blast that shows the increase in Chinese and India(n) stone over the past years.

Used to be Brazil and Italy as the major exporters. Now China is a close second to Brazil and India surpasses Italy.

Lenny E

Tom,

A week or two ago, I was up at a resin plant site. It was built on the site of quarry, a hollowed out mountain, by an SS company (vertical integration business model). They originally wanted to build it at the SS factory, but I dissuaded them by mentioning every so often these things blow up! KABOOM!

Anyway I asked a question that has been on my mind for years. I see quarried out mountians in China all the time, with just a sliver left. I asked “why dont they just take down the whole thing?”

Well I finally I got an answer. Apparently the little sliver left contains grave sites and the government does not allow the desecration of a grave.

Who knew? BTW I hiked up on some those mountian slivers just to verify it (because I dont believe anything I hear, and only half of what I see), and sure enough there are old graves up there.

Tom M

If that came from anyone other than you I would have trouble believing it.

That’s one I never heard before.

Miles Crowe

Lenny,

We saw the Chinese stone go up for a short period. The Ming Gold (or sunset gold or G84 I think) went up more than the others. But the price has come back down. For us, I think the lower is a product of the distributors we deal with. There are two large distributors (Best Cheer and MSI). They have kept the price down on the Chinese stuff.

But the demand has increased. These are our “loss leader” stones. In the Atlanta market, you have to have a low entry price point. Most fabricators are now using Chinese Stone for this. We use Bainbrook Brown and Bella White.

Lenny E

Hi Miles,

How are you? I dont think Ive seen you since 09 when I saw you at your booth at the show. Great to hear from you. Thanks for the info. Im kicking it back in the states, but Im quite sure I will be sucked back into commie land soon.

Miles Crowe

Lenny,

Thanks. Hope you’re doing well. I’ve started importing from Brazil, but I’m looking for opportunities in China! Maybe you can hook me up!

Really, it’s good to hear from you and I hope everything’s been going well for you.

Miles Crowe

Lenny,

Thanks. Hope you’re doing well. I’ve started importing from Brazil, but I’m looking for opportunities in China! Maybe you can hook me up!

Really, it’s good to hear from you and I hope everything’s been going well for you.

Lenny E

Hi Miles,

I am doing fine and hope you are the same.There are lots of Granite opportunities in the Xiamen area. I will give you a heads up next time I head over.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.