Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Lenny E

Howdy fellas,

Its me..your favorite Texan in China. Reminds me of an old joke…

A guy is sitting next to a pretty lady on a plane.

She turns and remarks to him..”I just love Chinese Cowboys and would hop into the sack with them in a heartbeat” ..followed by “Whats your name?”

His reply was……”Bucky Chen”

All joking and kidding aside, due to the rampant inflation in China, rising employee costs, energy costs, yada yada Chinese Granite prices are increasing. I have talked to several vendors up in Xiamen and round abouts.

Anyone else seeing this?

Brian Stone

I honestly couldn’t even tell you which granites come from China so I don’t really know. They mostly just have the gravel like patterns, correct?

Lenny E

Actually some great patterns are in in China,I have a really dark dense, takes a licking and keeps on ticking, noce brown in my kitchenm in China, but prices are going up…ergo my question.

Thanks for your non answer. Why did you even post that bullcrap sonny?

Wags

Yep Lenny.. but is that really any surprise to anyone ? Low prices, take all the market share you can, put others out of business and then raise prices.. Sounds like wally world…oh wait… they are the same, it is wally world. But hey, Bernake tells me there is no inflation, so, nope this must not be happening . My government would never lie…umm Mislead me..nope never. Of course he has a birth certificate, just cause his friend, the governor can’t find it.. hey what’s the difference. After all, Ayers is over in Syria saying they should be able to vote for our president, after all, it is one world.

Is it 2012 yet?

Posted By Wags on 29 Mar 2011 09:33 PM
    Yep Lenny.. but is that really any surprise to anyone ? Low prices, take all the market share you can, put others out of business and then raise prices.. Sounds like wally world…oh wait… they are the same, it is wally world. But hey, Bernake tells me there is no inflation, so, nope this must not be happening . My government would never lie…umm Mislead me..nope never. Of course he has a birth certificate, just cause his friend, the governor can’t find it.. hey what’s the difference. After all, Ayers is over in Syria saying they should be able to vote for our president, after all, it is one world.

Is it 2012 yet?

Wags:

I don’t mind the inflation arguments, but when you join the Birthers, you’re in tinfoil-hat land. Every single argument they’ve ever made has been debunked.

Joe

Brian Stone

Posted By Lenny E on 29 Mar 2011 09:34 AM

Why did you even post that bullcrap sonny?

Because it’s tough to check and see if the prices have gone up if I don’t know what colors / patterns you’re talking about old man.

It gets a little difficult to know which exact stones originate in China when blocks are quarried in one country and then shipped to another to get cut apart and polished.

Most of the junk that I get contact about purchasing from China is pre-fab garbage in colors that look worse than engineered stone. Stuff like this.

Len Smith

I’m sure that there are some beautiful stones in China, but since their strong suit is “cheap,” they tend to export toward their strong suit. Most of the Chinese stones I have seen imported here are not so desirable looking, although it is possible as Brian says, that I just don’t know what is Chinese and what isn’t.

To be honest, I’m really tired of imported products in all their forms. I know, I know….we now live in a global economy, bla bla bla. Another thing I know is that America no longer makes anything of consequence. Somehow honest labor in a manufacturing plant is beneath us, it’s something we ship offshore so that uneducated, poor people in other countries do it for us, while we concentrate on a service economy. Nice! More jobs in McDonalds, Starbucks, The Gap!

IMHO, any country that wants a stable base for growth needs a strong manufacturing base. It’s no wonder we’re in debt up to our ears, when our entire economy has been based on consumerism.

Can you tell I’m becoming an old guy?

Len:

Yes, I can tell you’re becoming an old guy. I’m getting tired of China this and China that. China is the king of copycatting. If you want something cloned, go to China. If you want something invented, the United States is where it happens and will remain so.

Joe

Len Smith

Great! So what have all the fine people of Michigan been inventing lately that will get them off unemployment and bring value back to their homes?  You know the ones…they used to work for companies that manufactured cars and ancillary items that were incorporated into them, along with toolmakers, mold makers, etc.

Glad to hear their manufacturing jobs will soon be replaced with jobs as entrepreneurs.

By the way Joe, I knew you would be the first to respond, I was having a little fun pulling your chain.   🙂

Posted By Len Smith on 30 Mar 2011 02:19 PM
    Great! So what have all the fine people of Michigan been inventing lately that will get them off unemployment and bring value back to their homes?  You know the ones…they used to work for companies that manufactured cars and ancillary items that were incorporated into them, along with toolmakers, mold makers, etc.

Glad to hear their manufacturing jobs will soon be replaced with jobs as entrepreneurs.

By the way Joe, I knew you would be the first to respond, I was having a little fun pulling your chain.   🙂

Len:

My chain couldn’t be pulled by a nicer guy. Here’s page 5 of my Political Science paper last fall. I got a “B” in the class:

Those arguing that the United States surrendered manufacturing to become a rentier state are rebutted by the 1957 theory of Colin Clark: “This emphasis on differential productivity growth as the main cause of deindustrialization contrasts with Colin Clark’s (1957) influential hypothesis that the evolution of employment structure during economic development is explained by a well-defined sequence of changes in the composition of demand. Clark’s hypothesis essentially consisted of an extrapolation of Engel’s law to the case of manufactures. He argued that—just as, in a poor country, the share of income spent on food declines as per capita income rises, while a growing share is spent on other items such as manufactured goods—as the country develops further, demand shifts increasingly toward services and the share of expenditure devoted to manufactures stabilizes and then ultimately falls. As a result, the employment share of manufacturing should also stabilize and eventually fall. Thus, according to Clark, deindustrialization in advanced economies would be a natural consequence of the shift in demand away from manufactures toward services.” (IMF p. 19) Viewed in light of the United States having followed Brittan in “surrendering” manufacturing, Clark’s theory seems prescient. Just as it would have been nearly impossible to convince a manufacturer to not develop automotive business in Michigan in the 50s and 60s because it was the most attractive, it would be nearly impossible for America to resist the natural transition from a manufacturing based economy to one centered on services and technology.

Joe

Len Smith

I’m not smart enough to understand what you wrote there, Joe. I guess the question still remains, how are all those folks in Michigan who used to work in manufacturing going to “consume” their way out of unemployment? What services do they need that will create jobs? By the way, even the service economy is being outsourced. It seems crazy to me, but there are not a few engineering contractors outsourcing the engineering of facilities on US military bases to architects and engineers in countries that aren’t really even our friends.

I am smart enough to know that I don’t have the answer to the problem, but I do believe that without jobs for people of all aptitudes, we won’t be consuming our way out of this. In fact, it’s our personal greed and consumerist tendencies that got us where we are today. It’s not them (democrats or republicans,) it’s us.

Len Smith

Hey Joe,

I know you won’t see things the way I do, and I likely won’t see things the way you do either. No problem. Pandora’s box has been opened, and there’s no way we are going back to a simpler way of life. If anything, things are accelerating at a warp speed that has my head spinning….I can hardly believe the number of countries flipping leaders like pancakes. What will be interesting is to see what comes next. We still don’t know who will end up controlling Egypt, Yemen, Syria, Lebanon, Libya, etc. It’s entirely possible that a year or two down the road, we’ll be looking at a united Arab world under Sharia Law, surrounding Israel and aligned against the US as well.

Amazing times.

And all this has nothing to do with Chinese granite!  Sorry for the thread hijack!
    Len
    Wags

Actually Joe, China last year over took the US in Manufacturing. Going from memory they mfg like 19.8% and the US was like 19.3%. As far as being a birther…i’m not, I want to believe he was born in Ha. I just find it interesting, that if he does have a BC, he could easily put an end to all this, by showing it. Why would an intelligent person like him, spend over $2 milliion so he DIDN”T have to show it? Also, why has no hospital come forward saying were the birthplace of the president? No Dr or family of a Dr has come forward to say they delivered him? And, why can’t the Democratic governor of Ha, who looked for it say, he knows there is one but they can’t find it? I just find it all interesting, much like GM telling us the Volt is an electric car, when, if you drive at highway speeds the gas engine comes on? I don’t know if it’s all a scam, but it raises questions that he could easily put to rest. And why has he never released any information about his college days? And why has no one that was in his same year, same area of study say, they never saw or heard about him?
    Guess I just like to ask questions, and when someone dances it makes ya think… why? If you remember it was the Clinton camp that first brought the birth certificate up.

Lenny E

Thanks Brian, I can see how it may be hard to track which ones come from China. With SS or E stone its alot easier since the sheets etc., are made and packaged in final saleable form and labelled with country of origin according to law.

I dont like the look of the cheap granites, but they have some pretty ones too.” Look worse than engineered stone?” I personally like most engineered stone, but thats what makes the world go round. Different strokes for different folks.

I would guess from reading everyones comments they dont import the nicer Chinese granite to the US. Thanx Len, Wags Brian and anyone I missed for responding.

Whoa, this thread sure went offtrack. Lots of interesting disucssion here though.

May I suggest we continue the ‘non stone” portion of the discussion in the swamp?

Bill Wolle

Lenny,

If it is a labor and overhead factor that will be/has been raising the price of Chinese granite, is it fair to say SS made in China might go up as well?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.