Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Len Smith

You are smarter than most Gene, it took you less than one month to come to your senses! ;^)

Len, My brother..Granite will make a hand fabricator old real quick…not too mention Installl it..I dont even care if you use a machine to fab…Installing it is gonna wack ya out…OH and the price people expect to pay for it…what a joke…Uba tube is cheaper than a mica countertop in my world anyway..by the time I laminate to ply. etc…Granite is wacked, polished and done…butcha hafta lift that stuff into a condo….or anywhere else…GULP

I do gotta job with some jade…but at least I can afford to gas in truck after I see the profit from jade..:)

wimp Come on Gene, 1st round knockout? Yur gonna haveta give back them graniteer ears! Call me anytime, we’ll get r done. For what it’s worth if it wasn’t for automation I wouldn’t be fabbing this stuff, I’d still be doing template install.

hahaha..yeah I know you got the automation fab thing down Mike..but then carrying to jobsite…twice as heavy as vetrazzo…I dont know Ill post a picture of the top we did in a minute..its curvy and crazy…but ok.Im playing the Rokcy music now and doing one arm push ups…Im gonna try maybe one mo time..

heres our first granite job…I call it UBA tuba from Aruba…the edge can be backlit to any color to match the holidays…St. patty;s day..you know its green like the hulk..

i guess its cool to make cheap granite..I mean affordable.granite look different..I cannot believe how Uba Booba is cheaper than lamnate…it just seems wrong..by the time you laminate to ply..etc..its just crazy..but hey..Granite is a durable surface..I can never vouch for black acrylic to be sold as a counter…and it should be thrown away from everyones sample boxes

Lenny E

Hah, Gene,

Very nice. You never cease to amaze me.

BTW You don’t know how many fabbers throw out the SS dark samples so the customers never see them.

I always have that argument with SS designers.. “It black, its going to scratch, are you sure you want me to design that?”

Heck, I’d rather be back in Texas  shooting my guns but someone has to pay the bills.

hahaha Lenny I get that all the time…but granite is still wooping up on SS…now its half the price cheaper than Corian black acrylics..the polys at leats scratch clear..

it funny Black acrylic is like a magic trick..its black all the way thru and yet it scratches white..haha
            I think MFG’s should stop making the stuff and just focus on colors that can be used as countertops trying to explain..”NOT to be used in High traffic areas” is the most ridiculous tag line MFG’s put on the boxes…
                   airport bathrooms get less abuse than a kitchen with two kids..what defines High traffic…people today making these decisions need to stop coming up with ideas at their own conference table…but maybe the fab network table of Fabricators who are really sales reps for their products too
    maybe the cost can be comparible the 35 shades of black and dark brown didnt have to be manufactured…I can see the new sample box now with the fist MFG who gets it…”LIGHT up my Life surface..no more darkness..no more looking like white scratches as if it looked like gray haired people got a haircut on your counters..
                               who sells SS to the end user anyway..us right?
    Chris Yaughn

Gene, I am going to share your pic with the stone crowd is that is cool.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Nice job for the first time out. I like the light idea.

I installed a couple stone tops and quickly learned it’s not for me. I’m 160 soaking wet. I think the tops weigh more than me.

Tom M

So there you are, sitting at that bar, trying to strike up a conversation with a girl, and all she sees is you day-glo purple crotch…

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Well Tom, that is just a bonus for her.

hahhaa..yeah…worst when it turns green Tom…the woman also get illuminated..but UBA tuba is nice looking to me..I dont care if its cheap in price..looks ok for that Hunter green look of most customers

thanx Chris..I cannot believe I turnt into a stoner…look back at these posts at all the smack I talked about it…its like in a few years turned into a differnt person..LOL
    Lenny E

Posted By Gene McDonald on 28 Aug 2012 01:31 PM
    hahaha Lenny I get that all the time…but granite is still wooping up on SS…now its half the price cheaper than Corian black acrylics..the polys at leats scratch clear..

it funny Black acrylic is like a magic trick..its black all the way thru and yet it scratches white..haha
            I think MFG’s should stop making the stuff and just focus on colors that can be used as countertops trying to explain..”NOT to be used in High traffic areas” is the most ridiculous tag line MFG’s put on the boxes…
                   airport bathrooms get less abuse than a kitchen with two kids..what defines High traffic…people today making these decisions need to stop coming up with ideas at their own conference table…but maybe the fab network table of Fabricators who are really sales reps for their products too
    maybe the cost can be comparible the 35 shades of black and dark brown didnt have to be manufactured…I can see the new sample box now with the fist MFG who gets it…”LIGHT up my Life surface..no more darkness..no more looking like white scratches as if it looked like gray haired people got a haircut on your counters..
                               who sells SS to the end user anyway..us right?

Exactly. I could not have said it better myself. You go boy!

The problem is the designers. Every company has 1 or 2. They get paid to read them fashion magazines, and they look at the automobile industry for trends. Nice gig if you can get it.

They sit around a conference table with their overpriced  starbucks coffee and push this “dark pattern” crap.

I get paid to tell them stuff they dont listen too. I don’t really care as long as I get paid. 🙂

Chris Yaughn

Andy, I am only 170 soaking wet, but much shorter than you. It is all about the gear. I always get the heavy end and I am not a work-out-in-the-gym-muscle kinda guy.

With carryclamps and stools, me and one helper ( my in shape college student helpers and not my struggling grown men down on thier luck after years of hard living helpers) can set 500lbs+ islands, if the cabinets are good.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Hey Chris,

You’re probably right about the correct tools and equipment. The tops are so much heavier than solid surface, after installing granite install, my arms always feel an inch longer.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.