Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    nssthan

I just looked up the Integra chameleon adhesive and it didn’t look like a tintable product. Do you buy the crystal clear and mix colors? Or is there a color chart to pick colors?

KCWOOD

Posted By nssthan on 04 Mar 2011 10:54 PM
    I just looked up the Integra chameleon adhesive and it didn’t look like a tintable product. Do you buy the crystal clear and mix colors? Or is there a color chart to pick colors?

I bet it has the ability to pick up the color that surrounds it.  It is it’s own color in the Integra line up.

Brian, I gotta say, that does look pretty nice however I would never let my guys do a sharp inside corner like that. I would have them radius the inside corner and move the seem out 3″ and then do the euro seem.

We only do euro seems when it is necessary to make things work or to avoid seeming over a dishwasher or some other area with little support.

Not to say one way is right or wrong. If everyone did inside corners as well as the pic you showed I would agree but most people doing sharp inside corners are hacks that are ordering prefab material thus forcing them to do a sharp inside corner. I just think a radius on the corner looks more custom and sets us apart from the hacks advertising granite at 25 a foot installed.

This is an example of how we do it.

KCWOOD

Posted By Travis Harper on 05 Mar 2011 10:34 AM

This is an example of how we do it.

Travis…  since you do not seam every angle, then is the slab priced by it’s maximum lenght and width?

was the sink piece priced to the customer 100 x 50″ or so?

Brian Stone

Posted By nssthan on 04 Mar 2011 10:54 PM

It’s kind of translucent. You use it straight out of the tube.

Brian Stone

Posted By Travis Harper on 05 Mar 2011 10:15 AM

Brian, I gotta say, that does look pretty nice however I would never let my guys do a sharp inside corner like that. I would have them radius the inside corner and move the seem out 3″ and then do the euro seem.

If you do an L-shape top how and why would you do a euro / dog leg seam?

Matt Rickard

[quote]
    Posted By Travis Harper on 05 Mar 2011 10:15 AM

We only do euro seems when it is necessary to make things work or to avoid seeming over a dishwasher or some other area with little support.

Not to say one way is right or wrong. If everyone did inside corners as well as the pic you showed I would agree but most people doing sharp inside corners are hacks that are ordering prefab material thus forcing them to do a sharp inside corner. I just think a radius on the corner looks more custom and sets us apart from the hacks advertising granite at 25 a foot installed.
    [quote]
    Travis I have to respectfully disagree with the hack comment made when speaking of an inside 90 euro corner. We do them all the time some being a 90 degree and some having a 3″ radius just depends on if there are any bumpouts with radius corners or not because we want all corners to match. While you say it is hacky I think it is a very good way to camouflage the seam and achieve better material yields,  I didn’t waste that 4″ of stone by turning the corner and then seaming the 2 pieces

Awesome job on that seam Brian

Chris Yaughn

Integra is tintable.  Atleast in-so-much as we regularly mix different colors to get the shade we want.

I bet Travis was mostly referring to 90 butt joint seams.

If you are going to the trouble of doing euros on a blank, it is likely that you are a decent fabricator trying to stay afloat.  Not a hack. Just my opinion.

My biggest beef with inside 90 euros is that the gorilla grips are not as effective as they are on straight seams.

If you do an L-shape top how and why would you do a euro / dog leg seam?

Brian, I would not normally do a dog let on an l shape.

But if the left leg had the dishwasher in the corner and the right leg was a Penninsula I would pull the seem 3″ or so into the penninsula and then do a dog leg. This would prevent a joint over the dishwasher while also preventing a joint going accross the penninsula.

If the l-shape was just a regular l-shape I would just pull the joint 3″ from one side and do a straight cut.

Also this normally doese not waste much material. Ya you gotta cut it apart by hand from the bridge saw but owell if granite was easy everyone would do it.

I just know that our customers love it when I tell them their new granite will not have any sharp corners. Inside or Outside.

Again guys this is just my opinion. If your way is working for you then by all means, have at it. One of my fab guys says at the last shop he worked at all i/s corners were square and much easier and quicker to fab. Thats just not the way I do it.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.