Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author

We have been fabricating a 3CM product and have come accross some problems. We are getting a lot of warped sheets. Some warps are only 1/8″ accross the length, some are more. The problem is that since that material is not making contact with the spoil board on the CNC, it moves. Not enough vacuum in those areas. The manufacturer has told me that 1/8″ warp is acceptable. Has anybody else had these problems?

John

Gordon Shell

EOS recommends the use of pods on the CNC, this way if there is any variance in the sheet the pods will be able to hold them in place. You can see a simple shop made pod system that Evan Kruger made for his Northwood Machine on the EOS website in the Fabricator section in the Fabrication Video http://www.eos-surfaces.com . The pods also make it possible for you to run your profile bits while the material is still on the machine. The pods create a stronger hold for any material used.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Gordon,

Can you send me a password? I can’t get into see the video.

Andy

Gordon,

We use pods to cut the material, profile, etc. but sometimes the warp is so large that there is not enough contact being made to get the proper amount of vacuum. too much air leaking out. Plus some sheets are not just warped from the long direction but also accross the 30″ width. If these sheets are warped and you try to profile using a CNC the depth of the cut variesdue to the warp.

John

KCWOOD

Not sure how most shops treat warped material, but I was taught any warp over 1/8″ is called what it is, defective, and sent back. This is what ISSFA taught me in their ITEC class.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

John,

I know all manufacturers have had their share of problems. Is this a problem that seems to be getting better? Have they addressed your concerns?

The true test of any distributor or manufacturer is whether they addressed their issues head on. I know Staron and HiMacs experienced problems at the beginning, but both companies took care of them in a timely fashion and the stood behind the bad material that was already out there.

Andy

Tammy Olson

We still get Himacs sheets that are badly warped.

We have had other issues with the 3cm material too.

But like Andy said the true test is do they listen and react?

KCWOOD

Tammy,

Are your HiMacs sheets you get warped the Volcanic Series? I have trouble only with that. I had one sheet with about a 1″ bow in the middle of the 30″ width.

They were fantastic about replacing it.

Yes and no. They explain to me that the 1/8″ warp is acceptable. I dont know about you but if a customer of mine asked me why the center portion of her counter top is off her cabinets while the ends are sitting on, that is a problem. The manufacturer says this fine? What about if you do a “L” shape and the warp is part of you seam? This is workable? I am not satisfied with that response. Then they tell to place in a warm area so it lays flat. 3CM ploy/acrylic blend? Come on. A blend is hard enough to thermoform when you want and is 1/2″ thick. Now make it 3CM and just put it in the sun. Sure. That is acceptable? If they told me that they would replace all of my bad sheets with flat ones, I would be happy, but to them they are acceptable.

KCWOOD

I have heard many times from Lenny Elbon, a warped sheet is a manufacturing defect.

I have never returned anything from Staron or Avonite. These are my only brands i try to sell. If the customers asks for a certain brand I will show it, but I really try to sell only the product that has the best distributors. You are so right about the L shape and seams. If the sheet is warped, it won’t happen, yes one could possibly push and pull enough to get a grip with the paralign clamps…. but then you have so much tension in the top.

kelsey

Gordon Shell

Please feel free to call me, 616-293-6170. Sorry, I can’t see the name of your company or I would call you direct.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

I say an 1/8″ bow the long direction is fine, but side to side, no way. Material like that won’t even suck down on the CNC so it is basically worthless to me. We haven’t had many problems with that lately. When we get the sheets, if they don’s sit flat on the sheets below, we check them with a straight edge. If they are off we send them back. We just get them replaced before we need to start the job.

Andy

I agree somewhat Andy, an eight inch warp is fine for 1/2″ material because it has flexability. But this stuff if so rigid it allows too much vacuum to escape to get a proper hold down. We have to cut this with a 3/4″ bit in the CNC not a 1/4″ bit so the cutting load is pretty high. Mind you we still cut in two passes but with the weight of the material and not enough vacuum you get more movement in the material than you would expect. Through my investigations and dealing with the material, all of these sheets in my shop are not post cured which is a must with blended materials. Calibration machines do not generate a high enough temperature long enough to do the job properly. I sent a piece of this away to get tested and the results were not good so I am concerned with it.

Gordon Shell

Would love to help but can’t do anything without a call from you 616-293-6170.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

John and Gordon,

What is exactly do you mean by “post cured”? Is this something that can be done after the material has been shipped or is it too late for that?

Maybe the manufacturer has a solution to the problem. Be sure to keep us posted.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.