Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Guys,

My customer has put a large chip in their zodiaq counter top.  What are the repair options that you know of.  I have attached a pdf photo (I think).

Regards,

John

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Do you have the chip? If you do, you could glue it back in.

You could fill with adhesive that matches but would be difficult to get an inconspicuous repair.

http://www.daniclamp.com has some stone polishing products that may help blend the repair into the deck.

Or get the piece that fell out and use the plexus stone repair around the edges.

Try this. http://www.matchmyadhesive.com/UVStoneRepair.aspx

This is a tough one, let us know how it works out.

John:

If you don’t have the chip, the only prayer you have for an acceptable repair would be with an Invicon or Akimi light cure kit. They’re about $1,800.00.

I’ve got the Invicon kit and if I were called on this repair I would run a diamond-tipped Dremel to make the edges of the chip perpendicular all the way around. I’d dam the verticle end with clear tape and start light-curing several color matched “lifts” until I was over flush with the top. Pull the tape and razorblade the background color almost flush on each side. Dremel some holes for “particulates” and light-cure them in place. Scrape to flush and hit it with some polish by hand.

Try to avoid top polishing/blending at all costs. It is very difficult to match the factory finish with estone.

You’d be amazed as to what is an acceptable repair when the customer did the damage.

If you’ve got the chip, adhere it in place and make your own “particulates” to cover the nasty glue lines.

Estone Repair with chip and top polish.

Estone with perpendicular sides.

Light-cure kit patch, no piece.

Your smaller particulate and consistent base color are going to be much harder to match than this shop experiment was.

Joe

Andy,

I have a call into my customer now to see if she has the chip.  Thanks for the ideas, I will let you know how it turns out.

John

Joe,

I don’t have one of those kits and I am doubting that my customer is going to want to pony up the dough for me to buy it.  I will have to take care of this repair in house, as the company I subcontracted the tops out to 1-1/2 years ago has since gone out of business. 

Thanks for the ideas and I will let you know how it turns out.

John

John:

In which part of the country are you located? I’d call Braxton Bragg and ask them to whom have they sold a kit in your area. The guy who invested the $1,800.00 would love to hear from you.

Joe

Tom M

Good point.

Topshop

Plexus has a basic UV cure kit that retails for like $150. No colorants but some good adhesive, some polish, and a small UV light. They sent me a kit to test for them an I use it all the time these days for both ES and granite.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.